Latest Posts

Topic: Barbarian Fortress/Citadel Models

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-02, 15:26

Thanks, all. (There could be a living in digging ditches after all.) face-wink.png

Astuur wrote: Maybe the stones on the outer rim could match the building a bit closer (darker, rougher)?

I'll tweak 'em a little more.

One small problem remains: the citadel seems to be floating upon the water. That is because you see no underwater structure of the building at all. You could add some submerged rock foundations, maybe, or make the water less transparent (i.e. more reflective)

I played with the water a while to get it where I wanted. I'll work on the wall foundations. They are down there, I just have to make their presence known. face-wink.png

Puh... the building sequence will be quite some challenge!

I'm eager to start it, but it doesn't make sense if the finished model isn't ready. Remember that the fortress shares the same site and should evolve cleanly into the citadel.

What else: I have used 105/96 hotspot; seems usable, but is very close to the lumberjack on the left.

Yes. I am crowding that western boundary. I may warp that part of the moat right a little. At any rate, I'll give the lumber jack a little more room to swing his axe. face-wink.png Also, I have already softened the rim of the moat so it looks less like a concrete form.

I would place the flags at the drawbridge somewhere, where they cover less of the yard. Maybe on a protruding stone from the outer wall, or even the inner building. Or maybe with a sort of holder coming out at an 45° angle before going vertical again?

Good ideas. I would not want to obstruct Warnuff's view of the well, or anything else that may occur in the courtyard. face-grin.png

Thanks again, everyone for all your comments and encouragement.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-02, 23:13

Presenting citadel8: citadel8 for test runs, try a hot spot of 107 94.

Among other things I:

• Adjusted the bed of the moat to expose the foundation of the outer wall under the water line
  • Moved the two small flags from the drawbridge to the keep facade
  • Bumped the perimeter of the moat to make more clearance at the west
  • Opened up the windows in preparation for build animation (The interior is masked in black.)
  • Changed the drawbridge frame to blackwood (for strength) face-wink.png
  • Gave the courtyard/moat bed material 95% opacity to give just a "hint" of the terrain at the site
  • EDIT Oh, yeah. I added a few more windows to the keep. (That must have been among "the other things"). face-grin.png

I tried putting a balcony on the keep, but it looked too civilized for barbarians, so no balcony. face-smile.png

Turning my attention back to the fortress.

Edited: 2011-09-02, 23:16

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-03, 09:13

Tested the new one.
I can see no more room for further improvement; it's perfect like it is!

...unless face-smile.png you might want to consider mounting
\Widelands\tribes\barbarians\pics\icon.png (with the skull in player color)
somewhere onto this most powerful building of the tribe.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-03, 15:12

Astuur wrote: Tested the new one. I can see no more room for further improvement; it's perfect like it is!

...unless you might want to consider mounting Widelandstribesbarbarianspicsicon.png (with the skull in player color) somewhere onto this most powerful building of the tribe.

face-grin.png I suppose we can't let the atlanteans be the ONLY tribe brandishing their icon (their's is on their ships sails). I'll see if I can find a place for the barbarian's icon on this rapidly filling model. face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-04, 07:32

Starting with the latest citadel model, I worked my way back to the fortress, to have as much continuity in the scene as possible when the player converts from the fortress to the citadel.
I came up with a couple looks and I'd like your opinions.
Certainly the size of the keep can be adjusted to a tallfortress like tallfortress tallfort or tallfortress3 tllfort3 style if that is preferred.
My question here is regarding the perimeter wall.
Should it be stone: fortress8 fort8 or wood: fortress9 fort9
Here's the citadel again for comparison: cit8

Personally, I favor the wood palisade. It echos the headquarters and would give real gratification when upgrading to the citadel. I could add more stone to the fortress keep if we kept the wood perimeter because the stone inner wall just seems out of place to me.

Comments please.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-09-04, 11:36

I like the palisade wall, too. Maybe you could place them on a stone fundament to reduce the „out of place“ feeling of the inner stone wall? I’m not sure myself, whether this proposal does make sense… Another possiblity could be to remove the inner wall completely.

By the way: Should it become the palisade wall, you should adapt the headquarter’s palisade because it would be too regular regarding the height of the single trunks. face-wink.png

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
hjd

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2011-09-04, 13:02

The wooden palisade looks awesome! face-smile.png I also think upgrading from wood to stone walls would work, since even barbarians would know that stone makes stronger fortifications.

I have some random thoughts about the inner building I would like to mention though: I am not sure what the idea is, but it currently looks a bit strange.If you compare fortress9 with the citadel, it looks like during the upgrade the inner building was placed on top of a tower-ish building. I am not sure how one would build such a thing to raise an existing building up and it may look a bit strange having the original fort inner-building standing on the roof of the tower in the citadel. On the other hand, I am not sure what could be done with the tower roof if the building was not there to keep it from looking too empty. However, I think if you experimented with something like inner building from tallfortress3 inside the palisade from fortress9, it would look a bit more natural that both these parts have been replaced or reinforced by stone when upgrading to a citadel without a building on the roof of the tower. This was written off the top of my head, so please ask if you are not able to make sense of it.

Ships!

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-04, 13:17

First of all I have to say "woooow!" again. The citadell looks just great and the fortress ideas are great as well. Indeed, I am not sure which of those fortress styles I prefare - they are all just great :)!

Regarding:

hjd wrote: it looks like during the upgrade the inner building was placed on top of a tower-ish building.

I believe this is not a problem - I am quite sure Chuck will create a great construction site animation, that explains pretty much everything.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-04, 15:20

Venatrix wrote: I like the palisade wall, too. Maybe you could place them on a stone fundament to reduce the „out of place“ feeling of the inner stone wall? I’m not sure myself, whether this proposal does make sense… Another possiblity could be to remove the inner wall completely.

I considered laying stones as the foundation of the wooden palisade, but I asked myself "If they started with stone, why would they switch to trunks?" I am considering the idea of representing what could have been the underlying bedrock of the site for the foundation. If the rock was evidently already there when they started to build, it would be logical as the foundation of both buildings. I'll play with that a little and get back to you.

By the way: Should it become the palisade wall, you should adapt the headquarter’s palisade because it would be too regular regarding the height of the single trunks.

I agree. Good point.

@hjd - I agree the fortress keep and the "lookout structure" on the top of the citadel are too similar. I was patterning them after original models. While it does provide a sense of continuity between the fortress and the citadel, there is no logical reason beyond construction style that they should be "identical", however. Their functions are totally different. I am considering removing the inner wall entirely. That would open up more possibilities for the courtyard space and the fortress keep. I may experiment with starting the keep in stone for the fortress in the form of the ground floor of the ultimate citadel keep. A stone building inside a wooden palisade is no great stretch of the imagination and there are many precedents in history. There are lots of possibilities to explore.

@Nasenbaer - Thanks for your vote of confidence. face-smile.png

Keep those ideas coming in. They help compensate for my occasional "tunnel vision". face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-09-05, 07:02

My preference for the innner building would be tallfortress (not tallfortress3), not considering the different roof.
For the outer rim, I have a slight preference for the hedgehog type palisades. It's a new element and looks credible.
You may want to change the right side (north eastern wall) variation of palisades height a bit; the resolution of the final picture does not resolve the single trunks anymore.
I agree that the inner wall is problematic.
How about using these stones to put them against the palisades from the inside (underneath the catwalk). It would fortify the structure and may look quite good. It may also help to fortify the drawbridge gate, which looks like the weak point atm.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote