Latest Posts

Topic: Barbarian Fortress/Citadel Models

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-31, 00:44

Hi, Warnuf! Thanks for your comments.

Warnuf wrote: I would like the Fortress keep out of blackwood as I allways disliked the two buildings beeing so similar. Perhaps the inner wall out of wood would be looking good as well?

I rather like the blackwood, too. The stone inner wall (or rampart) is used as the foundation for the eventual citadel. I still have to do something to make the individual logs of blackwood more distinguishable, though before I will be happy with it.

About the form: the tallfortress looks better to me.

Thanks. I don't think it is unreasonable for the barbarians to build the taller structures, especially when the vision range of the fortress is as large as it is.

Watercolour: While in your images the water looks more realistically it looks less than the water in widelands, it's mostly dark blue. So it should be a bit darker here, too.

This is a well or cistern, not an ocean or river, so I tried for a shallower appearance, sunlight reflecting off the sides of the fixture.

And about the water: Perhaps you could move the position of it in one of the buildings for better distinguishability.

I'll try moving it closer to the inner wall. (It probably isn't very wise to have your water source so close to where an enemy may be attacking.)

Any thoughts: Your buildings are better than the old ones, thank you for that

And I thank YOU for THAT. face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
Warnuf

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-08-31, 01:31

Watercolour: While in your images the water looks more realistically it looks less than the water in widelands, it's mostly dark blue. So it should be a bit darker here, too.

This is a well or cistern, not an ocean or river, so I tried for a shallower appearance, sunlight reflecting off the sides of the fixture.

Even in the buckets the water is darker. I didn't say it was not realistic I just said it is different than in other graphics in the game.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-31, 02:23

Warnuf wrote:

Even in the buckets the water is darker. I didn't say it was not realistic I just said it is different than in other graphics in the game.

I appreciate your observation. So, I did change the hue of the water in this model where I used the same blackwood log material as that in the headquarters.
tallfortress2b: tallfort2 headquarters: HQ tallfortress3: tallfort3

Am I getting closer, or should I do something different with the keep?

I see little people.

Top Quote
Warnuf

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-08-31, 02:56

It's better but the bright spots on the wood are irritating. The headquarters wood is a bit blurry, that looks quite good.

At the far right of the inner wall there is a vertical line of grey pixels. I think it is meant to be shadow, but for a moment it looked like a pole, especially the pixels in the water form a vertical line under it, too.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-31, 11:43

I like the new models but am I right that OSA (oversampling) is turned off for them while it is turned on for the others - this makes the graininess which I do not particularly like.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-31, 13:06

My 2 cents:
The new models are quite a bit more "barbaric" than the old ones. This is due to the generally darker material stone, and also to the greenish hue that makes them look more weatherstained and mossy.
Until I have seen these models in the game, which I will try today, I cannot say if I prefer this look to the old one on all worlds. I'll come back with this point.
Sirver may be right about the graininess - else, in 2d I'd try to soften the texture a bit by averaging with the neighborhood.
I like the massive look of the citadel, very much so. (both versions, independent of the roof). It comes from the slightly cone-shaped outer walls, I guess. In contrast the fortresses look a bit flimsy - especially the tall variant. I think I'd stick with the material of fortess 2b (seems better than 3) but would try the same slighly cone shape, if that is possible.
As for the roof material, I am of split minds. Your first attempt looks better, more harmonic, but the second one somehow looks "stronger" though also more hostile. Again, I will try this inside the game.
There is one more point that caught my attention: The outer doors.
They are very untypical. For one thing they can be barred far to easily and they won't be strong without a middle pillar. But we want a large opening and also something moving with the animation. So this is not so much about realism, but a nice effect. How about one door sliding out of the wall?
Or like a drawbridge?

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-08-31, 14:06

Two other questions that came into my mind: 1. Why does the roof have that shape? I didn’t understand it in the old model and as I see, you just took it over. Does it have any special functionality? If not… I think, the Barbarians build their houses very functional, so the roof should mirror that intention. Though I admit, that the function could be to impress the enemy… Can anybody tell me, why the roof’s got this shape? 2. The outer walls are perfect circles. That’s alright, because that’s the best shape for defense and so on… So I wonder, why we decided not to make the palisade fence from the headquarters a circle? As I remember, someone said, it wouldn’t fit to the Barbarians. But here it does? I see a contradiction here…

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-31, 16:10

@Warnuf - Yes. I'm not really happy with the roof either, on all counts. The vertical line one sees beyond the well is in fact a support post for a catwalk on the outer palisade. (I know,... REALLY tough to make out.) face-sad.png Suggestions, anyone?

@SirVer - That graininess had stumped me. I will definitely check the OSA. Thanks!

@Astuur - The old fortress and citadel struck me as too "clean". face-smile.png Besides, it makes sense to echo the building materials of the headquarters in these buildings. Until I check the OSA settings I've rendered with, I would have to agree that I prefer the walls of fortress2b. As for the outer doors, I think I may borrow yet another element from the headquarters and try a drawbridge, at the main gate anyway.

@Venatrix - 1) The shape of the roof was originally used to depict a thatched roof which accounts for the somewhat rounded nature of its design. You see it in the roofs of many of the civilian buildings. I am now of a mind to abandon that design for a more likely one given wooden shingles as the material. 2) The "someone" who said the circular outer walls "wouldn't fit to the Barbarians" was likely ME. face-smile.png I've always held the opinion that the majority of defensive structures erected by primitive armies of conquest more often than not took the form that the lay of the land dictated. It is easier to build walls to the contours of the land than impose rigid geometry. But we are not here for a discourse on the history of ancient military engineering, are we? face-smile.png More importantly, I think we want to retain as much of the "cuteness" factor as we can. So round defensive walls, it is.

Thank you, all for your very helpful input!

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-31, 18:03

Checked the citadel on all worlds.
It's not only fitting, it's great!
Colors are good, luminosity is fine.
It is too crisp though, it sort of jumps out on you.
The roof texture is not so good, maybe just because of the general crispsness.

The donjon now needs an update, its walls look "polished" in comparison. face-smile.png

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-31, 21:28

@SirVer - Activating OSA really softened it up! But it scrambled the texture I was using for the citadel wall material. face-sad.png It took some tweaking, but I think I have something acceptable now. Thanks again.

@Astuur - You might wish to take this citadel model for a spin. Still working on the drawbridge. This graphic has been rendered with oversampling and the lookout building is sporting a different roof design. You might even be able to discern the catwalk. face-smile.png citadel4

As always, comments please.

I see little people.

Top Quote