Latest Posts

Topic: Barbarian Fortress/Citadel Models

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-30, 03:47

This thread is for the discussion of the recreation of Blender 3D models for the barbarian fortress and citadel buildings.

The current building images: fortress: fort citadel: citadel

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-30, 03:54

Here are my models as they currently stand.
new fortress: new fort new citadel: new citadel

I welcome your comments and suggestions.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-30, 05:14

And here is a variation on the fortress sporting a taller keep.
tall fortress: tall fort

What do you think? face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2011-08-30, 08:07

My first impression was: grainy (if that’s the right word; in german I would have said „krisselig“). I find it hard to see details.

So now: Suggestions. I feel, the stones should have the same texture as the stones of the headquarters. They’re both strong buildings, made not to fall in battle. The roof could be like the ones on the other military buildings.

Some other things: Why is the outer door from the fortress wider open than from the citadel? The innermost door opening (fortress) should show a black „hole“ like the other ones too, shouldn’t it? I’m not quite sure about the taller keep. It’s alright with me to make the keep out of stones, but that high? I don’t know… I would prefer to see the small one with a stone keep before making a decision. I like the new inner door of the citadel. It seems better in place than the sunblind of the old one. Is there a reason why the doors of the citadel aren’t reinforced like the other ones?

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-30, 15:51

Venatrix wrote: My first impression was: grainy (if that’s the right word; in german I would have said „krisselig“). I find it hard to see details.

It is difficult, I admit, owing more to my choice of materials than resolution in this case. It is a first draft for concepts and experimentation. There is always room for tweaking. face-wink.png

So now: Suggestions. I feel, the stones should have the same texture as the stones of the headquarters. They’re both strong buildings, made not to fall in battle.

Good point. This is a different material/texture. I'll render up samples with the headquarter's stone.

The roof could be like the ones on the other military buildings.

I'll work up a version with that. Thanks.

Some other things: Why is the outer door from the fortress wider open than from the citadel?

No reason. Maybe they feel less threatened. face-grin.png

The innermost door opening (fortress) should show a black „hole“ like the other ones too, shouldn’t it?

I haven't worked on the interior floors for the citadel, so I blacked out the doors and windows to provide some contrast for now (same for the tall fortress). To make the build animation more believable, it's nice to have something to show when the roof is off. face-smile.png

I’m not quite sure about the taller keep. It’s alright with me to make the keep out of stones, but that high? I don’t know… I would prefer to see the small one with a stone keep before making a decision.

Actually, the roof level is not that different from the original fortress. Though it is difficult to discern, the original has the keep positioned on a small hill (or motte). I tried a similar approach and abandoned it. As for the stone construction of the fortress keep, I was trying (and failed) to convey a weathered wood shingle exterior. Another place for work.

I like the new inner door of the citadel. It seems better in place than the sunblind of the old one.

Yes. I like to see the actual door, too.

Is there a reason why the doors of the citadel aren’t reinforced like the other ones?

Yep. I forgot to give the crossbraces the contrasting material that the fortress doors have. face-smile.png (Like I said, "It is a first draft for concepts and experimentation.") While I started out working on the citadel (It's easier to start with the upgraded structure then down-size it.), there were some modifications I made to the fortress that have not made their way back into the citadel.

Thanks very much for your comments. I value the perspective another set of eyes can bring. Now it's back to the "drawing board". face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-30, 19:08

Working with the ideas Venatrix shared, here are the 2nd generation of the buildings:
For reference, headquarters for stone: HQ the current donjon for roof material: donjon

fortress2: fort2 tallfortress2: tallfort2 citadel2: citadel2

What do you think?

I see little people.

Top Quote
kingcreole

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2011-08-30, 19:58

i like the new models, they look more barbaristic ^^ the only problem i see is that the roof texture should be scaled up so its not just black brown and white pixles fighting each other with contrasts

live is my dancefloor as long as my lag works

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-30, 19:59

kingcreole wrote: i like the new models, they look more barbaristic ^^ the only problem i see is that the roof texture should be scaled up so its not just black brown and white pixles fighting each other with contrasts

I'll do some more tweaking. Thanks!

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-30, 21:09

Roof material texture size tweaked.
fortress2b: fort2b tallfortress2b: tallfort2b citadel2b: citadel2b

Should the fortress keep be built entirely out of blackwood logs similar to the front of the headquarters?
Like this: fortress3: fort3

Any thoughts?

I see little people.

Top Quote
Warnuf

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2011-08-31, 00:00

I would like the Fortress keep out of blackwood as I allways disliked the two buildings beeing so similar. Perhaps the inner wall out of wood would be looking good as well?

About the form: the tallfortress looks better to me.

Watercolour: While in your images the water looks more realistically it looks less than the water in widelands, it's mostly dark blue. So it should be a bit darker here, too. And about the water: Perhaps you could move the position of it in one of the buildings for better distinguishability.

Any thoughts: Your buildings are better than the old ones, thank you for that face-smile.png

Top Quote