Latest Posts

Topic: Barbarian Warehouse Remodel

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-19, 22:15

SirVer wrote: ... The differences that we have in the buildings in the barbarians make them stand out better which makes it better to pick out the building you are interested in on the map and in menus. Trying to make all buildings look similar is not good from a game play point of view.

That is true, of course. Just second-guessing myself. Not always a good thing to do. face-smile.png

fuchur wrote:

In my opinion #5 is better than #4. I thought that #4 is too dark before I saw the image of #5. Even if the wood #3 and #4 is the same color, but #4 has more of the black vertical lines (windows?) which make it look darker.

Number 4's color is a darker hue taken from a spot on the old warehouse.

Anyway, I find it difficult to chose between #3 and #5. My first impression of #5 was that the upper floor is too low (is that correct?). I'm pretty sure that's because you increased the roof overhang. While that's a good idea from an architectural point of view one can see only a small part of the SW side of the wall. That makes it look compact. If the upper floor was a little bit higher I'd vote for #5.

Numbers 3 and 5 are different designs in that the second floor overhangs only the sides of the building, whereas on #5 the overhang is on all four sides. The overhang on the front obscures more of the first floor and lends a more squat appearance. By resizing the front steps and adding more piles beneath the building, I'm trying to give an impression of a very large building that could house people as well as goods.

What I really like with #5 are the round posts at the corners of the upper floor. face-smile.png

Thanks for your comments. I, too, like those big corner posts. They and the front "porch" were inspired by this stabbur:

8 #5

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-19, 22:23

Tell you what I'm going to do, face-grin.png

I'll implement #5 5 as the warehouse, but I will archive #3 3 for potential use elsewhere (did someone say "casern"?) face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-21, 18:08

Sounds like a plan face-smile.png

I also like that you are using logs now rather than planks, because Barbarians don't use planks as building material.

In case you'd enjoy fiddling some more, what about some horses' heads?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-21, 18:13

GunChleoc wrote:

In case you'd enjoy fiddling some more, what about some horses' heads?

face-smile.png That would be a nice touch, but horses are atlantean pets. face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-21, 18:18

Ox or boarheads then? face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-21, 18:28

We'll see as opportunities present themselves. It may be challenging to make them recognizable at the scale in the game. We will see. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-21, 20:23

Yep - not a priority right now.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote