Latest Posts

Topic: [GUI] New ware icons for fish, coal, ironore and goldore

fraang

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-01-12, 19:24

I have tried to improve the fish ware and idle icons.

Ware icon

Idle icon

^ I have to work on it a bit more but I want to show you the current status.

In action

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-01-13, 14:08

Now the fish is definitly visible better.

With regard to the wine, what about putting it to amphoras? I don't think the Romans had bottles.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
fraang

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-01-13, 15:46

wl-zocker wrote: With regard to the wine, what about putting it to amphoras? I don't think the Romans had bottles.

Yeah I have the same in my mind. xD

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-01-14, 16:52

At long last after my too long absence, Hello Again!
fraang, I, too, really like the work you are doing and I appreciate the time you are putting into it. Here are my comments on your new wares as they stand currently:

• The fish graphic is very good at this state. I don't feel the icon has to be exactly like the ware image on the game board as long as both are recognizable and convey the same idea.
  • I prefer your previous graphic for the coal, (i.e. the one that resembles the other minerals.) IMHO the attempt at a pile of coal fails to convey the idea.
  • Nice work on the marble. As for the column, don't feel obligated to change it, but if you want to give it a try, go for it!
  • I like the idea of using amphorae to represent the wine. I think it would make a more easily identifiable image for the wine. So, if you want to take a crack at it, I'd like to see what you come up with. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
fraang

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-01-22, 22:59

Ok some news:

The wine amphorae is ready! What do you think of it?

Ware icon:

In action (Build 16):

BTW Chuck have seen the icon for the basket? Whata do you think of it?

Ware icon:

In Action (BZR):

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-01-23, 01:17

Good start with the amphora fraang amphora (amphorae or amphoras are the plural). face-smile.png
I think its color may be a little too dark. Although yours reminds me of this style: Etruscan amphora.
I would make the bottom of your image narrower. Virtually all amphorae taper in at the bottom to some extent. Some had pointed bottoms to make securely stowing them in ships for transport easier like this Roman one.
this one Of course, it would be difficult to stand this on a table. face-grin.png I'd like to see something closer to its color.

I do like the design of your basket fraang basket, but here, too, I think we could use a lighter color. Something approximating the wicker in these images perhaps.
basket1 basket2

Good work as always. Keep it coming! face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-16, 03:13

fraang, I hope you don't mind but I have put your new icons as they currently stand into rev #6220. They are now in the trunk. You may certainly continue to refine them, but I was satisfied to use the current versions in place of the old graphics. Fine work!

I see little people.

Top Quote
fraang

Topic Opener
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2012-02-16, 23:07

I have played around with the icons again and would like to hear if it goes into the right direction:

Basket:

Wine:

Screenshot:

Edited: 2012-02-16, 23:07

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-17, 00:53

I REALLY like the amphorae! face-smile.png
I'd like to see the basket in a lighter color, however, and bump up the texture a little especially on the inside surface. The way it is now, it almost looks like pottery (at least to my eyes).

Definitely heading in the right direction. face-smile-big.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2012-02-18, 17:25

That amphora idea was brilliant. I sure like the latest version.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote