Latest Posts

Topic: [GUI] - GUI retouch

chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-02, 16:25

fraang wrote: Is there a (fast) way for experimenting with the layout? We can use placeholder graphics for the moment. Maybe we should write a wiki page once we have finished the layout?

Due to the fact that the GUI is hard coded, IMHO it seems the best alternative is to present mock-ups in the form of "screen shots" (along with the technical specifics that coders would require) for discussion.

I could establish a branch or even a bug report in the media trunk on Launchpad to house the examples in a common repository. An alternative approach would be to link to the examples from this or another forum thread.

What do you think?

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-02, 17:02

I have done something like that here - towards the current end of the thread.
Is that near?

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
chuckw
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-02, 17:07

Astuur wrote: I have done something like that here - towards the current end of the thread. Is that near?

Thanks for the link. I had not been subscribed to the bug report, but that is now rectified. face-smile.png (Looks like I have some reading to catch up on.)

I see little people.

Top Quote
Astuur
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2011-08-02, 18:05

It's mostly about non-graphic topics, though.
I am trying to bring an example of a more uniform site window with some more consistency and extensibility as a suggestion.

To avoid misunderstandings:
The actual graphic design of those windows is quite uninspired, and there is nothing innovative there for graphics.
So, don't bother to comment :).
But the method may be helpful. It's done in inkscape as .svg-files (vector based), so you can easily reorder and regroup the elements.
Works together with Gimp. This program exports to PDF and with Adobe's reader X it seems you can comment without problems.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote