Topic: Re-modelling Barbarian Buildings

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-12-01, 18:52

Here are my personal impressions of the three donjon models:
Model 1: donjon1... Model 2: donjon2... Model 3: donjon3
Model 1 gives me the impression more of a fort or compound of some kind and suggests a larger scale than that of a medium sized building.
Maybe it's just me, but I get the impression we just turned the barrier upside down for Model 2. face-smile.png
I prefer Model 3. It reflects a use of the 7 stone wares. Plus it suggests more of that tower concept with its vision range of 17.

Edit: Added graphics

Edited: 2010-12-01, 18:55

I see little people.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-12-01, 19:10

From these models I like the number 3 the most. It looks like a tower from a castle, where the people could hide in case of war, right with the ladder that could be removed from above. (In German the word "türmen" has its seeds in this behaviour.) Maybe I would make the upper part as round as the foundation. Like model 3 of the stronghold, just higher. Unless you want to stick to the original face-wink.png

The second one looks good, too. I could live with it. face-wink.png

Model 1 is the one that I like the least. It reminds me somehow of the watch tower of a concentration camp… (Even if they looked different, the association is in my head.) Another thing is it's too big for the picture. I mean, you had to minimize it more than the others, am I right?

Edit: grammar

Edited: 2010-12-01, 19:12

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
Gannaf

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-12-01, 19:40

Model 3 is the best im my opinion. Contrary to Venatrix I would like to see, how a sqared stonebase would look like ;) I also like the ladder, I just wonder how the soldiers get inside the donjon. Are you gonna add a climb_ladder animation?^^

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-12-01, 20:25

Thanks for your comments and opinions.

Venatrix wrote:
Another thing is it's too big for the picture. I mean, you had to minimize it more than the others, am I right?

Yes, I had to scale it down considerably to fit within the frame size for medium buildings. As such, it appears bigger, but farther away.

Gannaf wrote: I also like the ladder, I just wonder how the soldiers get inside the donjon. Are you gonna add a climb_ladder animation?^^

No extra animation for the soldiers for now. Maybe I can position the building's hotspot to give them a lift. face-smile.png
I'll knock together another "Model 3" with a round top chamber and post it for comparison when I get a chance.

Thanks again for your comments. If we haven't heard from YOU, I would like to hear your thoughts.

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-12-01, 21:36

As promised, here are images of Donjon Model 3 with various combinations of round and square elements:
Model 3: donjon3... all round: donjon3_rnd... all square: donjon3_sqr
I like "all round" best, then round tower/square top, with "all square" third.

What do you think?

I see little people.

Top Quote
Fopper

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-12-02, 09:05

All round for me also, though I am wondering how you are going to do the tower and make that one different.. I think that the ladder would not suit a donjon as it is suppossed to be a practical building also.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-12-02, 12:33

Yes, I like the round one the most. And as for the ladder:

Fopper wrote: I think that the ladder would not suit a donjon as it is suppossed to be a practical building also.

That may be right, as the donjon is a tower to live in, but I think we could think of it more as a bergfried (funny, it's an English word, too), which is just for defence. So I think the ladder fits very well.

Edited: 2010-12-02, 12:33

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-12-02, 14:40

Fopper wrote: All round for me also, though I am wondering how you are going to do the tower and make that one different..

The barbarian tribe has no "tower" building per se. The donjon with its vision range of 17 takes that role, so I thought it appropriate to give it an appearance closer to that of a tower. (Well, that is what it IS after all.) face-wink.png

I think that the ladder would not suit a donjon as it is suppossed to be a practical building also.

From a practical, every-day use standpoint, something like a ramp or even stairs would likely be more beneficial, but the primary role of the donjon in the game is its use for conquest and defense, so I'm for a more spartan approach with the ladder which could be easily withdrawn to increase security of this outpost.

So I'll focus on the "all round" architecture. I'll give it a couple tweaks here and there, create some build animation and post what will be a "final draft" here for your info.

Thanks for your input!

I see little people.

Top Quote
Fopper

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-12-02, 15:15

chuckw wrote: The barbarian tribe has no "tower" building per se. The donjon with its vision range of 17 takes that role, so I thought it appropriate to give it an appearance closer to that of a tower. (Well, that is what it IS after all.)

You're right, my mistake, we translated donjon in Dutch as defending tower (Dutch: Verdedigingstoren), that is why I thought there is also a tower for Barbarians

Edited: 2010-12-02, 15:16

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-12-02, 18:28

The new donjon building has been pushed to the development trunk in bzr rev#5765 on Launchpad.net.

Here are the new military buildings completed so far:
mil_bldgs
From left to right: barrier, stronghold, sentry and donjon. I think everyone will like the donjon's build animation. Look for it in the game. face-smile.png

Next up, the battle arena!

Edit: Added link

Edited: 2010-12-02, 18:34

I see little people.

Top Quote