Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Re-modelling Barbarian Buildings

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-29, 21:58

Just pushed some tweaks to the headquarters building (while I'm waiting for a decision on the stronghold.) face-wink.png

Here are "before" and "after" shots:
BEFORE before... and AFTER after
I changed the texture of the stonework to give it more definition and re-worked the palisade with fewer "kinks" and in larger blackwood logs.
Look for it in rev #5756! face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-30, 02:32

Next in the series of military buildings is the barrier.
Here is a shot of the current 2D image and a rendering of the model I just created:
original oldbarrier... new model newbarrier
I omitted windows on the ground level on the premise of security. I couldn't imagine what the crenelations were supposed to be made of in the original image, so I fashioned them from logs in the new model.

Comments?

I see little people.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-11-30, 13:45

I definitely like the tweaked headquarters, especially the palisade. face-smile.png But I must confess, I would prefer a darker stone-texture. Or at least not that confusing (don't know a better word at the moment). Maybe a texture like in the original 2d-model would be appropriate.

The barrier looks good. I suppose, the crenellations were made of stone, but I'm not sure. It wouldn't make much sense, to put stone above wood. So your decision seems right to me. face-smile.png

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-30, 13:54

Venatrix wrote: I definitely like the tweaked headquarters, especially the palisade. But I must confess, I would prefer a darker stone-texture. Or at least not that confusing (don't know a better word at the moment). Maybe a texture like in the original 2d-model would be appropriate.

Yes, for some reason I'm struggling with that headquarters stone. Thought I'd try for a white grout look. I'll keep playing with it until we find something that looks right.

The barrier looks good. I suppose, the crenellations were made of stone, but I'm not sure. It wouldn't make much sense, to put stone above wood. So your decision seems right to me.

Thanks for your comments!

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-30, 16:00

Headquarters stone face-tongue.png

What do you think of these?
texture2 text2... original orig... texture3 text3

I'm favoring texture3 myself.

I see little people.

Top Quote
Fopper

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-11-30, 16:22

I think that the original texture the impression gave of large stones. The new ones are finer and are meybe a bit too slick for Barberians? I think your first attempt came clossest to that.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-30, 16:51

I think I may have something with one of these:
texture2 text2... original orig... texture3 text3
texture4 text4... texture5 text5... texture6 text6 texture7 text7
Of these, I like texture4 & texture7.
What do you think?

Edited: added all textures so far

Edited: 2010-11-30, 17:40

I see little people.

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-11-30, 17:55

I vote for 4 or 5. I find number 6 too regular to be barbaric face-wink.png And as Fopper said, the other textures give an impression of small stones, that doesn't fit, too. Number 5 seems to be carved out of solid rock, number 4 is made of… I don't know… A dark kind of stones. As I said, I can't decide between these two textures.

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-30, 20:01

I have decided to go with texture4 for the headquarters, text4. I just like the "feel" of it. face-smile.png Besides, I have to put this aside to address the 30+ other buildings and I think we've knocked this one around enough for the headquarters.

So it's ever onward! face-grin.png

"Stronghold Model 2", stronghold2 will be the final design. After some minor tweaks and some build animation, that will be pushed to the dev trunk.
The barrier,newbarrier, also will go in as is after some minor tweaks.

Next up, the donjon!

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-12-01, 17:49

The donjon:

I really need your opinions on this one! I have to admit I wasn't familiar with the term donjon, so naturally I googled it. face-smile.png As you may already know a donjon refers to the main tower of a castle or a "keep" as some refer to it. With this idea of a tower, I worked up some drafts for your consideration and comments. Here is the current image used for the donjon followed by three designs for your consideration plus an image of the new barrier for comparison: original: old_donjon... Model 1: donjon1... Model 2: donjon2... Model 3: donjon3... barrier: barrier
Model 1 mirrors the original design. Model 2 presents more of the tower concept in wood. Model 3 resembles an image of an actual French donjon that had been fashioned from wood and masonry.
Understand that these are by no means final renditions. Adjustments to details (like doors and windows, etc.) can always be made once a general architecture has been agreed upon.

So let's hear your comments on the three models.

Edited for spelling. face-tongue.png

Edited: 2010-12-01, 18:37

I see little people.

Top Quote