Latest Posts

Topic: Re-modelling Barbarian Buildings

Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-23, 18:50

Hi :),

the new one looks better (speaking of the wall alignments) face-smile.png

Speeaking of the flags / pennants - for me it's already somehow too much, as well face-wink.png

But wall all that are only smaller "plastic surgeries" - it already looks really nice!

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-23, 19:53

Thanks for all your comments. :) Here is the current state of the HQ: newHQ

The only modification I plan to make at this point is to lighten the playercolor shading. It is too dark in comparison with the road flags.

So look for this model in an upcoming rev! Complete with animation! face-grin.png

Any preference to which building I should tackle next?

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-23, 20:43

FYI - the new barbarian headquarters has been pushed to the development trunk in bzr rev#5750.

one down.... 32 more to go face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-23, 20:48

Great work! face-smile.png face-smile.png face-smile.png

so you would like to hear, what we think is most important now? ... hmm maybe the sentry? it's the most often used building in a barbarian game ... face-smile.png

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-24, 00:16

Thanks! face-smile.png

I was thinking along the same lines to tackle the sentry building next.

Player color possibilities: a flag, any other ideas?

Has anyone ideas for its animation? Should the sentry have programming for conditions other than build and idle? If so, what? Maybe "idle-waiting for worker" or "worker away" (as opposed to "idle with a soldier present"), "under attack"? and if so what should be shown?

Let's hear your ideas!

I see little people.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-24, 08:17

Yep, sentry. While remodelling the military buildings, you could try to give them a more appropiate look; for example the barrier looks (to my eyes) smaller than the stronghold, though the stronghold is much cheaper and smaller.

Uuuhh. can't wait for build animations for the sentry face-smile.png

Top Quote
smoku

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-11-24, 10:47

Could you make the stone texture more similar to the stone other buildings use? Now it's more dark and does not look like stone blocks. The texture used on original HQ looked better.

And the irregular shape of the palisade looks very strange. That's not how these settlements were built. It may not be a perfect circle, but certainly not straight lines. The lines junction is the weakest point, where you can easily push the tree away. So it was always a curved line. I would vote for an oval.

And the trees in the palisade are to thin in my opinion. Looks like a harder kick would break them like matches. The thick ones in the original looked more solid.

Besides that, very good work and I like the new more-wooden building. face-smile.png

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-24, 14:36

smoku wrote: Could you make the stone texture more similar to the stone other buildings use? Now it's more dark and does not look like stone blocks. The texture used on original HQ looked better.

To be honest, I'm not particularly satisfied with the look of the stone texture myself. I'll look for a better substitute.

And the irregular shape of the palisade looks very strange. That's not how these settlements were built. It may not be a perfect circle, but certainly not straight lines. The lines junction is the weakest point, where you can easily push the tree away. So it was always a curved line. I would vote for an oval. And the trees in the palisade are to thin in my opinion. Looks like a harder kick would break them like matches. The thick ones in the original looked more solid.

What? You don't think the barbarians used pencils in their fortifications? face-grin.png

Besides that, very good work and I like the new more-wooden building.

smoku, thanks for your observations. There are very few things in the game (and nothing in the stuff I do) that can't be improved and refined. You have made some valid points and I hope to have them addressed in the near future. My immediate major goal for the headquarters and all of the buildings in question is to create a viable 3D model from which future enhancements can easily be applied. So my personal attention has shifted on to creating models for the rest of the buildings. Rest assured that somebody (possibly me), sometime will revisit the headquarters building image.

Cheers!

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-11-24, 15:07

Here is my first attempt at the sentry building.

sentry I have animated the pennant and the fire for the initial "idle" state.

Here are my thoughts for animating this building (some of these may require coding): 1) build - self explanatory 2) idle (worker away/waiting for worker) - fire is extinguished, pennant is removed and the door is shut 3) idle (worker present) - fire is burning, pennant is raised, door is open and possibly a soldier is moving around outside. 4) under attack - same as 3 but soldier animation is removed (he's busy defending the building)

What do you think?

Edited for appearance

Edited: 2010-11-24, 15:10

I see little people.

Top Quote
Fopper

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-11-24, 15:44

I think you should shut the door when you are under attack face-tongue.png I really like that you can see when a house is occupied or not, then you don't try to attack not working sentries again face-smile.png

Top Quote