Latest Posts

Topic: Ratios for production buildings

trynitro

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2010-09-20, 15:00

Hi,

I have seen some questions about the proper ratios for wares, but I did not see a real answer. Maybe not everybody uses the same ratios, so could you please help the not-so-skilled ones with some opinions?

1. How many rangers for a lumberjack? I remember seeing something about rangers/lumberjacks and they recommended 2 rangers/4 lumberjacks. However if I do it like this I quickly run out of trees for the 4 lumberjacks so ... this does not seem like a good ratio.

2. How many game keepers for a hunter? Personal experience has showed me that 1 gamekeeper is enough for 1 hunter.

3. How many farms for a bakery? (not quite relevant, the pita bread is used to make other wares, however it's useful for the next point)

4. How many taverns for a mine? Or how many mines for a tavern? Not quite sure of the proper ratio here.

Any other ratios that you are aware of would be much appreciated.

thank you

Top Quote
Nasenbaer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-09-20, 16:43

Hi :),

there is no 100% right guideline. However:

How many rangers for a lumberjack? I remember seeing something about rangers/lumberjacks and they recommended 2 rangers/4 lumberjacks. However if I do it like this I quickly run out of trees for the 4 lumberjacks so ... this does not seem like a good ratio.

Generally that should be alright - in Build14 and Build15 the rangers were quite stupid and placed trees at locations, where the could not grow very well (and so often died) - that problem is fixed in current development versions. If you play such a version or (as soon as it is release) Build16 or newer later on, the 2 lumberjacks per one ranger should be alright.

Of course the described problem in Build14 and Build15 forces you, to behave differently at that versions...

For all other questions below I can not give a real good advice, as my strategy is normally to build up big economies fast and than just check the demand for a ware... However I hope my general idea is right:

How many game keepers for a hunter? Personal experience has showed me that 1 gamekeeper is enough for 1 hunter.

I would say 2 gamekeepers for 3 hunters, but well I am not a Barbarian Profi ;).

How many farms for a bakery? (not quite relevant, the pita bread is used to make other wares, however it's useful for the next point)

~ 2 farms per bakery, perhaps 5 farms per 3 bakeries? Depends definitely on the efficiency of the farms .. better one farm more than less.

How many taverns for a mine? Or how many mines for a tavern? Not quite sure of the proper ratio here.

One tavern should be alright for 2 - 3 mines, but keep in mind:

• Enhanced mines (deep and deeper mines) need other and more food to work - so you need to enhance the taverns as well
  • try to build the taverns as near as possible to the mines, so they can best work on demand.

Generally all these questions are tribe specific - e.g. the barbarian lumberjack is faster in cutting down trees, than the Empire and Atlantean one. However I am sure you will find a good working ratio after some games. Best play only one tribe for the beginning.. all other tribes are than "just modifications" you have to do ;).

Cheers

Nasenbaer

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-09-20, 17:28

I feel widelands is a lot more tricky here than settlers 2 - which is a good thing imho. For example the demand of bread skyrockets as soon as you start training soldiers or enhancing mines and all your careful ratios fall apart. You have to anticipate the demand and watch closely your "produced wares" statistics and your stock.

I like to fill every big space with a farm and stockpile corn early on; as soon as you start needing bread AND bear AND donkeys AND sheeps AND pigs it will be gone in no time (I am an empire player btw :)).

Top Quote
trynitro

Topic Opener
Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2010-09-21, 13:14

Thank you for the help.

From experience with barbarians, with one ranger, you cannot have 2 lumberjacks. Maybe in the next version (build 16) this will be corrected/different, but for now it's now enough. On a map, I had 10 rangers and 4-5 lumberjacks and the lumberjacks were at 60-70%.

For the rest I will give those numbers a try, I don't really now right now what is optimal.

Top Quote
luk3Z

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2010-09-21, 20:10

SirVer wrote: I feel widelands is a lot more tricky here than settlers 2 - which is a good thing imho. (...)

I agree with you. I played S2 long time ago, so when I start play as Barbarians (I didn't read the guide about tribes), so my all my timber drop to 0 really fast. I don't know why I can't build granite mine. Anyway I have to read guide about tribes and new buildings...

Top Quote