Latest Posts

Topic: Some beginner's questions

caillean

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-08-04, 11:56

Hi Wideland-folks!

Since I'm new here, first and foremost thank you to all developers and participants of this project. I never played Settlers or anything like that before, but since I came across Widelands in my distro's repositories, I had a lot of fun playing! A great game, again, my compliments.

I played around with the editor as well, and would really like to create an own map. Perhaps somebody with experience in this could answer some questions?

1. Do really big maps affect game speed a lot? Or is it more related to the number of computer players in single player mode? I noticed that the game runs somewhat slower with bigger maps, so I wonder if it's adviceable to go for sizes bigger than 200 x 200?

2. Is it possible to alter the size of existing maps?

3. I'm a bit at a loss with ressources... Could you give me an example, concrete numbers, for 'In-/Decrease Value' and 'Set Value' in the ressources tool?

I'd really like to make something well-wrought and with a lot passion for detail, so I'd be grateful for your advices!

So long, Caillean

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-08-04, 12:48

Hi,

Since I'm new here, first and foremost thank you to all developers and participants of this project. I never played Settlers or anything like that before, but since I came across Widelands in my distro's repositories, I had a lot of fun playing! A great game, again, my compliments.

Do really big maps affect game speed a lot? Or is it more related to the number of computer players in single player mode? I noticed that the game runs somewhat slower with bigger maps, so I wonder if it's adviceable to go for sizes bigger than 200 x 200?

bigger maps should not much affect game speed. They need significantly more memory though while running. The most impacts on speed are the number of AI enemies and objects (houses, animals, workers) in total.

Is it possible to alter the size of existing maps?

no, not currently.

I'm a bit at a loss with ressources... Could you give me an example, concrete numbers, for 'In-/Decrease Value' and 'Set Value' in the ressources tool?

There is a maximum Value for resources. I always place maximum amounts of resources as I see this most fitting for playing.

I'd really like to make something well-wrought and with a lot passion for detail, so I'd be grateful for your advices!

If something good comes from it, make sure to upload it here on the site face-smile.png

!SirVer

Top Quote
caillean

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2010-08-04, 13:21

Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

bigger maps should not much affect game speed. They need significantly more memory though while running. The most impacts on speed are the number of AI enemies and objects (houses, animals, workers) in total.

Would you think that something really -huge- like 400 x 400 will work out okay? Would provide plenty of landscape to explore for people who actually enjoy the "settler-thing" (I mean 'settler' in the proper meaning of the word, no reference to the game).

There is a maximum Value for resources. I always place maximum amounts of resources as I see this most fitting for playing.

Okay, that's a good starting point. Perhaps I'd make gold somewhat more rare...

If something good comes from it, make sure to upload it here on the site

Of course, would be nice to give something back!

Greetings, Caillean

Edited: 2010-08-04, 13:25

Top Quote
ixprefect

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-08-24, 17:12

Yes, something of size around 400x400 is supposed to be unproblematic. I wouldn't be surprised if you ran into some performance issues while playing on such a large map, but we'd generally be interested to hear about them so that they can be fixed.

Top Quote
eddieballgame

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2012-06-17, 19:02

Hi...have been playing on 512x512 random maps vs 8 ( multi & single ) with no performance issues. Would like to add that the stability is simply great. No crashes to date, simply unheard of. Admittedly smaller maps are prferable if one wants "quicker" action vs opponenets, plus it makes planning your empire much more crucial. The smallest random map for 8 players seems to be 192x192. btw...I am using a "laptop".

Edited: 2012-06-17, 19:03

Top Quote
neon

Ranking
Just found this site
Posted at: 2012-06-19, 01:58

Hi

another noob question.

can I zoom in and out in the editor? would be great to gain more overview!

My fishb-reeder breeds fish and throws them in the ocean so my fisher has work. That's what I call creating jobs!!!

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2012-06-19, 08:51

neon wrote: Hi another noob question. can I zoom in and out in the editor? would be great to gain more overview!

That is not (yet) implemented, but other players have already had the same idea, so maybe it comes soon ... See http://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/1029/?page=1 for more information. (And please use the search function before asking questions. "editor zoom" offers two pages (plus this one), so you could have found the page yourself.)

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote