Hello. I just noticed that there is a RC1 for next version, and so tried to compile it on my Debian (amd64), I was eager to play it since months, so, congrats and thanks!
Compilation is ok, but tests are failing due to asan, which tries to allocate 15392894357504 bytes, which is, err... around 14 Tio. 14 Tio. Meh. Insane.
I have to say I always disable swap and overcommit (too much pain and data loss because of kernel not killing dumb softwares, often web browsers and virtualbox, sometimes stuff I write myself), which explicitly disallow allocating stupid amount of memory. In my opinion, allocating gigabytes of RAM is almost always a bug, the only exceptions would be very specific applications.
Maybe the 14Tio behavior could be fixed (imo, this is an asan bug, it should try to allocate less if malloc returned NULL, until it would succeed), but it seems less important to me than respecting the choice of user to disable an option.
Here, I disabled both Asan and unit testing. I also tried to hack the cmakelists.txt file to remove asan by hand, but it changed nothing. Tried to do the same for tests, but it seems I broke stuff that depended on that. So, currently still failing to compile.