Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Widelands - Discord

Nytren
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-03-02, 12:50

Hello everybody, I had the idea if it would be cool if there was a Widelands Discord to "attract" another category of players. Discord is a service for chat and voice chat rooms. specially developed for gamers. with a modern user interface offering many possibilities. I think Discord will not completely replace the topic function. But offers a voice function which I think could also be attractive for players. but on discord you could also make Widelands more attractive for other players as they do not want to register on the homepage, for example. I ask you for your opinion, you would like it if there was a Widelands Discord.

Top Quote
stonerl
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-03-02, 13:05

The idea is not bad, but we would have to connect the IRC-Channel and discord. There seems to be a way to do this.

irc-discord-integration

Edited: 2019-03-02, 13:07

Top Quote
stonerl
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2019-03-02, 15:46

I added a Discord Server Here is the general channel

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-03-02, 16:01

I don't know discord that much, but the idea is probably good because it would be nice to have more players here.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-03-02, 16:41

I do not know much about discord also... i have tried to gather some information:

• it is proprietary software
  • saves all data on a server in USA

Sorry, but i am always skeptical about proprietary software which can be used for free...

stonerl wrote:

The idea is not bad, but we would have to connect the IRC-Channel and discord. There seems to be a way to do this.

All irc communication will be saved on the discord server then?

Don't take my words too harsch, i am just an old man who do not understand this brave new world face-wink.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
ModellbahnerTT

Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2019-03-02, 17:14

My skeptical is also big. Can you explain what will be the thing which will be better than irc? The voice chat will may be the most of widelanduser not use.

Top Quote
janus
Version: Build 42
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-03-02, 17:42

stonerl wrote:

irc-discord-integration

es gibt ein widelands bot der in python geschrieben ist, der auf webhooks von github und später dieser seite hört, noch ne brücke zu discord wäre sicherlich auch drin, wenn das wer in python umsetzt.

https://www.jhor.de

Top Quote
Nytren
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-03-02, 17:43

Yes that's true I think that, if I understand correctly, we do not need to connect the homepage to the server. I think we do not need to transfer the forums to Discord. Discord could be an alternative for the players' forums and offer opportunities for other players to not register on the homepage. I'm 14 and Discord is very well known and by now the software that almost every player / gamer has. I've been using Discord for a long time and I think Discord is awesome. I can understand the concerns in every way, but I think the Discord player in my age group makes Widelands more attractive and also provides them with a platform to meet other players. The voice function is a cool side function that could possibly be interesting for new players. You could create a link or reference to the website because of the interest in participation.

Top Quote
janus
Version: Build 42
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2019-03-02, 18:04

janus wrote:

stonerl wrote:

irc-discord-integration

es gibt ein widelands bot der in python geschrieben ist, der auf webhooks von github und später dieser seite hört, noch ne brücke zu discord wäre sicherlich auch drin, wenn das wer in python umsetzt.

oder es bringt wer dem metaserver, der ja im irc und in widelands hängt, das discord bei. vllt gibt es da ja was, was in go geschrieben ist. so gäbe es eine dreiecks beziehung.

https://www.jhor.de

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2019-03-03, 09:29

What is the data retention like in Discord? Our IRC channels are not logged, so bridging it to Discord will mean that we need user consent. And since our lobby chat is bridged to IRC, this means that all players will need to be presented with Discord's privacy policy and agree to it before they can start playing in multiplayer. If we don't add such a user consent, we will be breaking the law.

I'm not against having a discord per se though.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote