Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Google+

Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: B21 Empire Helmets

WorldSavior
Avatar
Joined: 2016-10-15, 04:10
Posts: 761
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: Saxony, GER
Posted at: 2018-09-12, 20:19

einstein13 wrote:

But you can think wider (WIDElands face-tongue.png )

face-smile.png

  • The armorsmithy produces a second type of armor; like chainmail or breastplate for exampl (with the same costs as helmet).

"Breastplate" sounds fine


“It's a threat to our planet to believe that someone else will save it.” - Robert Swan

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Avatar
Joined: 2013-10-07, 15:56
Posts: 2546
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: RenderedRect
Posted at: 2018-09-13, 07:29

At the moment, we have Armor -> Chain Armor -> Gilded Armor. How about Leather Armor -> Chain Armor -> Iron Armor -> Gilded Armor?


Top Quote
WorldSavior
Avatar
Joined: 2016-10-15, 04:10
Posts: 761
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: Saxony, GER
Posted at: 2018-09-13, 16:52

GunChleoc wrote:

At the moment, we have Armor -> Chain Armor -> Gilded Armor. How about Leather Armor -> Chain Armor -> Iron Armor -> Gilded Armor?

I prefer "breastplate" instead of "Leather Armor", because leather armor contains usually so much leather that it would have to be a new ware, wouldn't it? But a breastplate mainly contains some metal, so it's not that illogical that it just costs one iron and one coal.

And why replacing the "armor" by "chain armor" and the "chain armor" by "iron armor"?


“It's a threat to our planet to believe that someone else will save it.” - Robert Swan

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Avatar
Joined: 2017-01-17, 18:07
Posts: 278
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2018-09-14, 12:01

This is just haggling over a name, right?

+1 for breastplate, but all suggested names sound fine to me.

This would need a new ware, with different design. Furthermore new animations might be needed.

Designing a new ware isn´t hard, one can just edit some other armour with GIMP (for example the frisian fur garments are slightly modified versions of imperial armours face-wink.png ).
The branch for level-dependent soldier anims is now in review. Lots of good it will do for the empire soldier though until there is a graphic dev for him…


Top Quote
WorldSavior
Avatar
Joined: 2016-10-15, 04:10
Posts: 761
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: Saxony, GER
Posted at: 2018-09-14, 15:52

Nordfriese wrote:

This is just haggling over a name, right?

Don't know if it's haggling. But we are just discussing a name, yes


“It's a threat to our planet to believe that someone else will save it.” - Robert Swan

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Avatar
Joined: 2013-10-07, 15:56
Posts: 2546
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: RenderedRect
Posted at: 2018-09-14, 19:03

WorldSavior wrote:

GunChleoc wrote:

At the moment, we have Armor -> Chain Armor -> Gilded Armor. How about Leather Armor -> Chain Armor -> Iron Armor -> Gilded Armor?

I prefer "breastplate" instead of "Leather Armor", because leather armor contains usually so much leather that it would have to be a new ware, wouldn't it? But a breastplate mainly contains some metal, so it's not that illogical that it just costs one iron and one coal.

And why replacing the "armor" by "chain armor" and the "chain armor" by "iron armor"?

Because otherwise, we get:

Breastplate -> Armor -> Chain Armor -> Gilded Armor

Most people associate a breastplate with something sturdier than a chain armor, so the sequence of names is not intuitive. It's not enough to find 1 name that you like, we need to look at the whole set of names in context.


Top Quote
Arty
Avatar
Joined: 2018-08-03, 12:14
Posts: 17
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2018-09-14, 23:54

GunChleoc wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

GunChleoc wrote:

At the moment, we have Armor -> Chain Armor -> Gilded Armor. How about Leather Armor -> Chain Armor -> Iron Armor -> Gilded Armor?

I prefer "breastplate" instead of "Leather Armor", because leather armor contains usually so much leather that it would have to be a new ware, wouldn't it? But a breastplate mainly contains some metal, so it's not that illogical that it just costs one iron and one coal.

And why replacing the "armor" by "chain armor" and the "chain armor" by "iron armor"?

Because otherwise, we get:

Breastplate -> Armor -> Chain Armor -> Gilded Armor

Most people associate a breastplate with something sturdier than a chain armor, so the sequence of names is not intuitive. It's not enough to find 1 name that you like, we need to look at the whole set of names in context.

How about

Armor or Cuirass -> Chain Armor -> Scale Armor -> Gilded Armor

As for intuitive comparison, it doesn't have to be overly realistic. I would normally associate Gilded Armor with something more ceremonial but less useful in an actual fight, but I'm fine with it being the best in this line.

Edited: 2018-09-14, 23:56
Top Quote