Latest Posts

Topic: B21 Encyclopedia bug-galore

stonerl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2018-09-08, 15:37

I know that Build 20 isn't even out of the door, but IMHO one major focus for b21 should be on the Encyclopedia. It's a mess and it will be even messier when the mines-worldsavior branch gets merged.

Here, a small incomplete list:

• Production times are wrong or missing.
  • Lores and citations are either missing (barbarians) or absent in general (all other tribes). I would vote for getting rid of them entirely.
  • Experience Levels are incorrect (Deep Mines) and or missing (Deeper Mines)
  • Working Places are incorrect/wrong worded (Master Miners can work in all kinds of mines AFAIK)

These are just some I recall out of my head and I'm pretty sure I'm missing many more. IMHO the Encyclopedia should be as accurate as possible since it is also the entry point for newcomers regarding information about tribes etc...

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-08, 18:49

stonerl wrote:

I know that Build 20 isn't even out of the door, but IMHO one major focus for b21 should be on the Encyclopedia. It's a mess and it will be even messier when the mines-worldsavior branch gets merged.

Here, a small incomplete list:

Will need a complete overhaul of the production program code. Since we are now using Lua instead of conf files for the definitions, production programs should be tree structures rather than a flat list.

Also, we have 3 separate program parsers for Immovables, Bobs and Productionsites. Since we have recently unified the syntax of those 2 types of programs, there should only be 1 parser algorithm.

• Lores and citations are either missing (barbarians) or absent in general (all other tribes). I would vote for getting rid of them entirely.

We have a forum thread for completing the Barbarian lore - I decided to postpone it, because translators are already very busy with 4 new scenarios and a new tribe.

That is probably a small bug somewhere - do you want to look into this for Build 20?

• Working Places are incorrect/wrong worded (Master Miners can work in all kinds of mines AFAIK)

It says "... or better" in the building descriptions, so "Miner or better" means either a Miner, a Chief Miner or a Master Miner for the Barbarians. Or are you not talking about the building help?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
stonerl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2018-09-08, 19:31

GunChleoc wrote:

stonerl wrote:

Will need a complete overhaul of the production program code. Since we are now using Lua instead of conf files for the definitions, production programs should be tree structures rather than a flat list.

Here you mean the lua files for each production site?

We have a forum thread for completing the Barbarian lore - I decided to postpone it, because translators are already very busy with 4 new scenarios and a new tribe.

I see. But wouldn't it be better to have displayed nothing at all? Instead of "Text needed" and "Source needed"... or something more imaginative. IDK, like, "A lore has yet to be written down by the elders." like "

That is probably a small bug somewhere - do you want to look into this for Build 20?

Where does the encyclopedia gets the values from? Can you point me to the files?

It says "... or better" in the building descriptions, so "Miner or better" means either a Miner, a Chief Miner or a Master Miner for the Barbarians. Or are you not talking about the building help?

I'm talking about the workers help. In the normal Miners help, all 3 types are listed for "Works at". Chief Miners have only Deep and Deeper mines and Master Miners has only Deeper.

But this is more or less wrong. Since a Master Miner can also work in Deep and normal Mines. The same applies to the Chief-Miner.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-08, 20:30

just had a quick look in the experience values they are documented where they sit in the lua files.
so the barbarian miner has the necessary experience documented to become miner_chief and the points for a chief to become master.
Could you explain what is wrong in your opinion?

+1 for having a better text for no lore yet defined.
-1 for throwing away the lore completely (the not yet implemented barbarian lore had a lot of contribution to it and is really funny in my opinion)

Perhaps a string like (can work in not already promoted buildings as well) could clarify the issue for experienced workers

Top Quote
stonerl
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2018-09-08, 21:07

hessenfarmer wrote:

just had a quick look in the experience values they are documented where they sit in the lua files.
so the barbarian miner has the necessary experience documented to become miner_chief and the points for a chief to become master.
Could you explain what is wrong in your opinion?

It think pictures describe it better. Here the barbarians coalmine (everything is fine here):

Barbarians Deep Coalmine

Here the barbarians deep coalmine:

Barbarians Deep Coalmine

Here the deeper coalmine:

Barbarians Deep Coalmine

+1 for having a better text for no lore yet defined.
-1 for throwing away the lore completely (the not yet implemented barbarian lore had a lot of contribution to it and is really funny in my opinion)

I was a little hasty here. +1 for a better text.

Perhaps a string like (can work in not already promoted buildings as well) could clarify the issue for experienced workers

+1

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-08, 22:47

ok the issue can be fixed easily in either way.
we can display the same values as we have for the top worker of each mine or all experience values of all workers. In the latter case we should adjust the display for the workers as well.
The code lies within tribes/scripting/help/building_help.lua

the problem is that the first working position (is the least experienced worker) and the upgrade information of the last worker (most experienced) is delivered to the formatting script which results in the weird results.
If we have a conclusion on what to display I can do this.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-09, 00:18

At least one issue solved: i found a solution for the mines in Mines-worldsavior branch.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-13, 07:55

I have created a bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1792297

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-13, 07:58

hessenfarmer wrote:

If we have a conclusion on what to display I can do this.

I'd say the "Experience Levels" section needs to look just like for the basic mine for all 3 mines. So, follow the enhancement chain back down to the basic miner, then calculate from there.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-15, 18:08

Good news branch is uploaded. this fixes the last two bullet points

Experience Levels are incorrect (Deep Mines) and or missing (Deeper Mines) Working Places are incorrect/wrong worded (Master Miners can work in all kinds of mines AFAIK)

happy testing

Top Quote