Latest Posts

Topic: Report Frisians Playing

hessenfarmer
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2018-09-19, 08:03

WorldSavior wrote:

Is there any reason why the campaigns should be played after each other? For me it looks like it would be better if all four of them would be independent from each other, if I don't overlook something.

There was a reason in the past when the barbarian campaign was used as tutorial. But this reason has gone imho. So I really would vote for having all of them visible but only the first scenario of each campaign playable. the next scenarios should be either invisible or greyed out.

Top Quote
Fresenius
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2018-09-19, 11:05
GunChleoc believes there is educational value in the succession. I can see the reason for playing Barbarians first as they were the historical first and the missions there in particular explanatory (though I believe they need an overhaul). So if you say the new user shall relive the game history, then this progression makes a lot of sense! I'm not against this but I also see value in the freedom of choice.

What we can take from here is, I believe, that:
- an option for unlocking all missions shall be implemented (I would prefer the program options as location)
- all locked missions (including perhaps tribes' first missions) are displayed greyed out. You can still consider whether or what explanatory texts shall be visible in a greyed state (as perhaps you don't want to convey too much information in advance).

Top Quote
Fresenius
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2018-09-19, 11:38
I want to add two more observations for the in-game surface.

1.f - ideally, the button for 'Objectives' could be greyed out and not functional if and as lonmg as it contains no messages (avoid noise).

1.g - it is not obvious for the user whether in the Frisian mines "the main seam is exploited". There is no visible marker for this (as is in other tribes) and the hover-text of the site has a false priority policy in my view. This text "the main seam is exploited" only shows for a very short time in case the mine has supply problems. Then the supply shortage is displayed in priority thus covering the more important "empty state" message. Perhaps something should be done here.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2018-09-19, 11:45

Regarding campaigns order, see also this bug

1f: +1

1g: The mines do look different, though the difference is small. The ladder lies across the entrance to the pit. For the message issue, see this bug

Top Quote
dreieck
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2018-09-19, 18:54

Fresenius wrote:

If I may mention something, in my latest version of the game I can't find the ominous "mission", probably an introductory mission, in the overview of the campaign screen. So what I'm saying is that I don't have access to the Frisian campaign (though I had been interested and was searching).

You can enable the missions by hand, without the need to play other missions before.

On my unix system, I needed to edit the file ${HOME}/.widelands/save/campvis and changed the values after the campaigns and missions from false to true.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-09-24, 12:32

1f: https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1794061

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote