Latest Posts

Topic: Changing order of wares in inventory

GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-26, 11:55

ypopezios wrote:

Concerning the order of exiting, I could dream of it being the order that the user selects them before pressing their exit button. Round-robin could be used by AI. Preciousness should be reserved for transferring order, as it applies more to individual wares than to whole types of them. For example, logs could be available in abundance (thus not much precious), but the specific ones needed in a specific construction site can be of top preciousness.

Just to make sure that we won't be crossing wires on terminology here: Each tribe has a "preciousness" value for each ware type, so it's not individual wares at all. Of course, having a second "preciousness" concept according to how much the economy needs it would be the "something smart" option, and I wouldn't be against that.

Edited: 2018-08-26, 11:55

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
ypopezios
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-08-26, 12:41

@GunChleoc

You are right, we use the term "preciousness" differently. The existing "preciousness" per ware per tribe is an arbitrary hard-coded number of questionable value at best (mainly to help AI), while my concept of "preciousness" is a priority-like number calculated in real time (its main input factors being demand, offer and time).

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-26, 17:00

Regarding the exit order when multiple wares are marked for exit I would not use preciousness. I would summarize the amount of each ware in all other warehouses and would then start with the lowest amount, cause this might be the most valuable ware to save from the enemy or to use in different places.

Top Quote
ypopezios
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-08-26, 17:34

@hessenfarmer

You are basically suggesting a wider real-time calculation of preciousness, based on ware-type's rareness. I still believe that rareness is not the most accurate factor. Of course it's much better than current arbitrary order.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-26, 18:21

ypopezios wrote:

my concept of "preciousness" is a priority-like number calculated in real time (its main input factors being demand, offer and time).

Having a good formula for this would be great face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-08-26, 23:06

ypopezios wrote:

@WorldSavior

Imagine a warehouse in danger (like in various campaign scenarios). You want to move as many wares as possible from that warehouse to a safer one. And at the same time you have to take care of the rest of your economy, while expanding towards a safer direction. So you select all the wares in the warehouse and click to remove them. After some time, you go back to check how the removal is progressing. And instead of seeing a variety of wares heading to safety, you see the roads flooded by just one ware which you happened to have in abundance (like logs), while more important wares (like tools) are still waiting for their turn and in danger of being lost. That order is not intuitive and nowhere documented, so you have to micromanage your own order.

Ok. I see, it would be nice to have a better order there indeed, but I also think that it is a low priority bug.

First I had thought that you mean the order of wares which leave the warehouse in the other case.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
ypopezios
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2018-08-27, 01:40

GunChleoc wrote:

Having a good formula for this would be great face-smile.png

No single formula can accurately calculate real-time preciousness. But the wallet-model can.

Top Quote