Latest Posts

Topic: concentric circles win??

kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-31, 10:50

A port space needs also some free space on the ocean. In your save game there isn't enough of such space, i guess because it was conquered by a big building of the enemy on the third ring. You could try to build a tower to get some area on the ocean back.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-31, 11:02

Ah, it's not the enemy on the third ring... you have conquered the second ring (red player?), but the border from the red player is still on the ocean. This prevents showing the port space.

Top Quote
LeightonMan
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-12-31, 11:30

Thank you. Yes I have conquered the red player but my point is that without the helpful information in the map description that port spaces are under enemy headquarters, I would never know that the port space is there!! Worse, perhaps, is the site of the gold mine, opposite the iron mine. That never appears until you build a military building near the site. Why would you do that; the enemy is already conquered and all the land is visible?

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-31, 11:48

LeightonMan wrote:

Thank you. Yes I have conquered the red player but my point is that without the helpful information in the map description that port spaces are under enemy headquarters, I would never know that the port space is there!!

The problem is that setting headquarters claim some area but it couldn't be conquered, only destroyed. So some of the initial border is still there until you build a military building.

Worse, perhaps, is the site of the gold mine, opposite the iron mine. That never appears until you build a military building near the site. Why would you do that; the enemy is already conquered and all the land is visible?

I find also annoying that sometimes some part of the enemies border is still visible, but that's how it works: A territory is as long owned by a player, until it get conquered with a military building.

Top Quote
LeightonMan
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-12-31, 13:33

Perhaps there should be the idea of "enemy defeated"? Something like that is already in the code because when I was learning the game, if my headquarters was destroyed, the view of the map changed a bit and I was given the option to continue watching. So the idea of "if defeated, something happens" is in there somewhere. Perhaps a defeated player could have remaining buildings and borders destroyed? Or captured, perhaps?

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-31, 13:46

king_of_nowhere wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

As I told, it's also possible that the next opponent blocks this port spaces by castles.

It's not possible, I made rough terrain in the external rings around the port space so that it would be impossible to block the port space with a castle.

So first you've said that one cannot do anything if it happens, but now you say that it cannot happen at all? face-wink.png

I think that it's a bug. Why does one have to own some water for constructing ports?

Edited: 2017-12-31, 13:49

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-01-01, 14:29

WorldSavior wrote:

So first you've said that one cannot do anything if it happens, but now you say that it cannot happen at all? face-wink.png

I assumed you were talking of the southern port spaces, the ones where the player has to make colonies. Those can be conquered simply by advancing on the ring, though the AI should get nowhere close to it if you're going fast enough. AI does not realize it should stockpile building materials at the fringes of the empire, so it's terrible at expanding too far from its origin. The port spaces underneath the enemy headquarters, instead, cannot be conquered by the AI of the next ring if I calculated correctly. Unless you need to control a smidgen of water, but that lloooks mostly a bug

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-01-02, 12:24

I thought that the map is called "Concentric Rings" and not "The Spiral" face-wink.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
LeightonMan
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2018-01-11, 17:40

Hi again, Thank you for all the help but I think I am still failing to understand something important. I have conquered the first ring several times now and can repeat it quite reliably. I have managed a few times to expand onto the second ring with two fully promoted soldiers and a few trained to level 2 evade but I am unable to control the placing of the super-soldiers. As I gradually conquer the second ring, I reach a point where there are no enemy military buildings in sight but the enemy is able to attack, with a relatively large force, buildings which I have already conquered. Since I cannot control my soldiers sufficiently well, they are all eventually lost and then it is just a matter of time before the enemy starts to retakes the ring. Since I have no metal resources left, I cannot train new soldiers

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2018-01-11, 20:20

LeightonMan wrote:

Hi again, Thank you for all the help but I think I am still failing to understand something important. I have conquered the first ring several times now and can repeat it quite reliably. I have managed a few times to expand onto the second ring with two fully promoted soldiers and a few trained to level 2 evade but I am unable to control the placing of the super-soldiers. As I gradually conquer the second ring, I reach a point where there are no enemy military buildings in sight but the enemy is able to attack, with a relatively large force, buildings which I have already conquered.

this is because attacking a building needs a line of sight. each building sees a certain distance, and you need to see the enemy to be able to attack. for example, a barrack sees 9 tiles (i think), a tower sees 15 tiles, so if the enemy has a tower 12 tiles from the barrack, he can attack you but you cannot attack him. You need to build a tower yourself.

Since I cannot control my soldiers sufficiently well, they are all eventually lost and then it is just a matter of time before the enemy starts to retakes the ring. Since I have no metal resources left, I cannot train >new soldiers

Why do you have so many military buildings? you don't need them. You onlly have 2 supersoldiers, and they are the only ones that matter. Keep them together, at the front. You can choose to send rookies or heroes in any specific military site, and if you choose to send heroes only in one building, the supersoldiers will go there and nowhere else.

Absolutely do not lose the supersoldiers at this point. If you see them falling short on healt, just destroy the building. Your supersoldiers will retreat and heal, and they will have killed some enemies in the process. rebuild the building, and kill some more.

Top Quote