Latest Posts

Topic: Enhanced farms

WorldSavior
Avatar
Joined: 2016-10-15, 04:10
Posts: 919
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: GER
Posted at: 2017-12-27, 17:16

teppo wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Yes, you're right. We have 6 best choices. That is enough to have multiple-species forests.

Who needs multiple-species forests if choosing always the best tree is much more efficient?

The odds are weighted; the best-suited three gets planted significantly more often than the sixth-best one. The net difference in overall tree growth is not that huge.

Thanks for the information. That seems to be one of the top-secret laws which make the tree growth so complicated face-wink.png

It is quite easy to increase efficiency, in this sense. We could make all trees grow in zero time in any landscape. Would that increase the fun of playing?

  • in zero time: That would be a big change and I don't think that it's necessary
  • all trees in any landscape: Now we are the point where the correct trees become planted even if the efficiency would be increased a lot. So it's not necessary neither face-wink.png

But maybe a better tree growth would increase the fun of playing indeed, who knows? I'd have to test it.

I think that the foresters could favor spots where trees grow well, over less good ones within their area of work.

+1


“It's a threat to our planet to believe that someone else will save it.” - Robert Swan

Top Quote
teppo
Joined: 2012-01-30, 09:42
Posts: 315
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2018-01-27, 15:02

WorldSavior wrote:

But maybe a better tree growth would increase the fun of playing indeed, who knows? I'd have to test it.

I think that the foresters could favor spots where trees grow well, over less good ones within their area of work.

+1

Latest trunk (BZR8567 onward) hast this feature now. The modification affects tribes differently: Atlantean foresters are boosted most, barbarian rangers least. Please test the fun factor of tree growth increase.


Top Quote
WorldSavior
Avatar
Joined: 2016-10-15, 04:10
Posts: 919
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: GER
Posted at: 2018-01-27, 18:32

Thank you face-smile.png

I'm not playing Widelands these days. But maybe I can test it in case I'll play again

Why are there differences between the tribes? Are they big?


“It's a threat to our planet to believe that someone else will save it.” - Robert Swan

Top Quote
teppo
Joined: 2012-01-30, 09:42
Posts: 315
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2018-01-27, 19:23

WorldSavior wrote:

Why are there differences between the tribes? Are they big?

Somebody requested it in the bug discussions, and I saw no reasons not to do it. In my opinion, the differences are modest. You mostly see those, when the vast majority of land in work area is poor and only a small spot of soil is good.


Top Quote
WorldSavior
Avatar
Joined: 2016-10-15, 04:10
Posts: 919
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: GER
Posted at: 2018-01-27, 20:27

teppo wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Why are there differences between the tribes? Are they big?

Somebody requested it in the bug discussions, and I saw no reasons not to do it.

Okay. SirVer did that, pointing out that barbarian foresters are a little bit idiotic or something like that face-grin.png

In my opinion, the differences are modest.

If you say so...

You mostly see those, when the vast majority of land in work area is poor and only a small spot of soil is good.


“It's a threat to our planet to believe that someone else will save it.” - Robert Swan

Top Quote
einstein13
Avatar
Joined: 2013-07-29, 00:01
Posts: 1023
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: Poland
Posted at: 2018-01-29, 09:08

@teppo: good work! Fixing this one makes closer to any other changes. face-smile.png


einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Avatar
Joined: 2016-10-15, 04:10
Posts: 919
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: GER
Posted at: 2018-02-17, 20:02

teppo wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

But maybe a better tree growth would increase the fun of playing indeed, who knows? I'd have to test it.

I think that the foresters could favor spots where trees grow well, over less good ones within their area of work.

+1

Latest trunk (BZR8567 onward) hast this feature now. The modification affects tribes differently: Atlantean foresters are boosted most, barbarian rangers least. Please test the fun factor of tree growth increase.

Tested it a little bit. The game makes much more fun with this feature than without. I saw an atlantean forester who was at the border of tundra and snow, and he never walked at the snow face-smile.png

Thanks for this good change in the game


“It's a threat to our planet to believe that someone else will save it.” - Robert Swan

Top Quote