Latest Posts

Topic: Barbarian trainer

kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-10-30, 08:16

The mentioned branch is merged in revision 8468. So most players won't go out of trainers now face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-10-31, 10:24

Personally I see this 'fix' as unnecessary. If a player has virually no iron production the they should not build 2 training sites and a barracks. With barbarians training evade is no problem but making advanced weapons and trying to recruit soldiers with little gold is pointless, either concentrate on building new recruits and training them in evade OR build advanced weapons and get all start soldiers to level 10. At that point you may want to build a barracks and temporarily stop the training by sacking the trainer who will then go to the barracks or as stated reduce wares in the barracks until a trainer is created.

Managing workers is just as much part of a game as managing wares, adding more of everything at the begining makes the game less interesting, I will switch to one of the minimal start conditions once I have managed to get a working install.

Top Quote
LeightonMan
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-11-15, 17:27

I'm still trying to get the hang of axes, soldiers, and trainers. I now have a game where the inventory shows a total stock of about 15 axes and it is steadily increasing yet there are no axes in warehouses, barracks all show "axe missing", and the training camp and battle arena do not have trainers! I demolished a barracks and very soon after the training camp became occupied which seems to indicate that trainers are not being created. How do I find where the axes are? I previously had a training camp and battle arena which were occupied in the usual way until destroyed by the enemy. The rebuilt ones are those which do not have trainers. Are the workers killed when a building is destroyed by the enemy?

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-15, 17:44

LeightonMan wrote:

I'm still trying to get the hang of axes, soldiers, and trainers. I now have a game where the inventory shows a total stock of about 15 axes and it is steadily increasing yet there are no axes in warehouses, barracks all show "axe missing", and the training camp and battle arena do not have trainers! I demolished a barracks and very soon after the training camp became occupied which seems to indicate that trainers are not being created. How do I find where the axes are?

You can check your roads and maybe even your ships. You could have a transport problem, and even if not: Those 15 axes could be just those which are on the way... If you have several barracks

I previously had a training camp and battle arena which were occupied in the usual way until destroyed by the enemy. The rebuilt ones are those which do not have trainers. Are the workers killed when a building is destroyed by the enemy?

No, they survive, but if they don't manage to approach to flags which are linked to warehouses, they continue to wander around until they just vanish after a certain time.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
LeightonMan
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-11-16, 13:03

Thanks Worldsavior, I think I understand what is happening. I have a lot of nearly vacant military buildings and there is a considerable distance between the axe factory and two of the barracks. As soon as an axe is created it is taken to a barracks. Some time later, a soldier is created and leaves for a military site. I have increased the rate of axe production but that simply increases the number of axes being transported. Since the demand for soldiers remains high there are never enough axes for one to get to a warehouse and so a trainer is never produced. Eventually the situation would resolve itself but I am also losing soldiers in border skirmishes! Thanks again

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-17, 08:20

You can lower the amount of axes stored in the barracks, that might leave one in a warehouse for a trainer.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-11-17, 10:20

There are many different ways to play, reducing the number stored in barracks temporarily is one option. Building a barracks near the axe factory and/ or warehouse can help. So can dismantling unneeded military buildings, ones far from the front lines that you built for initial expansion. Depending on the map and the start/ win conditions I often only build one barracks or maybe none, it is sometimes better to train your starting soldiers to level 9 or 10 before starting to recruit.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-17, 14:57

@LeightonMan: You're welcome

Tinker wrote: Building a barracks near the axe factory and/ or warehouse can help.

How?

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-11-18, 10:29

If he has 15 axes in transit somewhere then it could be the supply chains are to long, if the buidings are closer then it is easier to get an axe into a warehouse to create a trainer. LeightonMan seems to imply that the barracks are all near the front lines and the production is a long way away, moving them closer together near a warehouse will make creating trainers easier and speed up creation of recruits.

Top Quote
LeightonMan
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-11-19, 15:12

Thanks to all for your comments. I implemented the suggestions of GunChleoc and Tinker and narrowly avoided being defeated! I have even been able to retake some of the lost land. I am still quite new to this and am still learning how to create a balanced economy. I have many questions but I think, a great part of the game is learning for oneself! Thanks again

Top Quote