Latest Posts

Topic: Web Interface

raistware

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-01-19, 08:26

Hello all!

Some time ago, at developer's list a discussion pop's up with subject of creating or not a web interface to make easy contribute to translators. The fact is that I have currently founded a spanish translator that could be very interested to use this way to work. He knows nothing about poedit or gtranstlator or other software like this. Also there are some weird phrases that hangs this applications (plural phrases) so I think that is not a very good solution to say him 'install poedit and use it, you should download files from svn (and use how to use this software), and start translate, save regularly on a different file name because with some phrases, the app fails ...'. Some web interface like launchpad will make life lot easier to people like him.

So the question is: will be sometime a web interface to only translators?

Many thanks!

PS: Sorry if something is not understanded, my english is poor.

Top Quote
raistware

Topic Opener
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2010-01-19, 09:35

I have installed locally Pootle, and seem to be very good. Seems to support even svn and git (only svn is of our interest, because git do not create a 'config dir' .git at every subdir inside a project)

I will hardly check this piece of software and, if it works good I will try to install this software to him. The best option will be install this on a server to allow all people to enter ... but I do not know any public free server that provides needed requeriments.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2010-01-19, 17:00

Hi,

I am all for it but do not want to keep the server in a working shape. If someone provides a reliable solution (that is, a server that is still running five years from now) to this, I am all for it. Currently I am favor of using launchpad for translations; but someone has to do the import of our locales to it and keep the synchronization up to date. This is a rather simple task and I guess it could be automated quite easily.

Cheers, !SirVer

Top Quote
QCS

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-01-19, 17:36

Since Launchpad uses gettext (that means pot) system, it should easily be done. I'm just not involved into Launchpad and don't know what they need to do and which interfaces they provide for synchronization. I'd volunteer to look into it if I'd have some privileges there - don't know if Launchpad provides possibilities for projects to assign someone the task of "translation managers" with extensive rights without being project admin for the rest of the system, regarding the project.

CMake is evil.

Top Quote
QCS

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-01-19, 19:00

Just to explain why I'm volunteering here:

As you may know, I'm currently tinkering with the CMake build, and analyzing what's been done in SCons.

Of course I came across the python scripts creating the pot files from the po files. The scripts would need a considerate amount of attention understanding and modifying, as they collide with make features/requirements (out-of-source-build). Additionally to that, since CMake also inhibits CPack, I'd like to use CPack for distribution building (instead of the SCons script used today), which would at the end neatly integrate everything.

Additionally to that technical issue, there's a more social/environmental one. The automation of using an external translation source will again be a CMake issue in the end, and I'd like to keep this in one hand. There are some use cases which would need integration in CMake - developers retrieving latest data for building, developers submitting new "templates"... and of course the problem of packaging source distributions and binary distributions.

I just consider this translation issue part of the make process.

Yes, I'm doing those things in my "paid time", too... glad you ask face-grin.png

CMake is evil.

Top Quote
QCS

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2010-01-19, 20:02

I've already had a look into their documentation to see what this is all about.

The only automatic way to upload translation templates (which is necessary when inserting new strings) is through their bzr interface. I think we can live with the definition that developers will need bzr client, although we may not necessarily be able to provide a safe way to determine via CMake/make if the developer has installed it.

The only automatic way to download translation files (which is necessary for any build from svn, but not for any build from a provided source or binary distribution) is having Launchpad commit changes to bzr and downloading them through bzr again. I don't know if we can assume that all those people have bzr installed.

People using binary distributions or source distributions, will not need bzr as we will deliver a full translation with the package.

Edit: Launchpad requires that the translation is made under a BSD license. Current translations are made under GPL2. I am not a lawyer, I don't know if this causes problems. Old translations will definitely stay GPL, but I don't know if you can do the transition of GPL'ed work to BSD when you are not the owner of those work.

Edited: 2010-01-19, 20:24

CMake is evil.

Top Quote