Donation

Help us to pay our server!
(: Consider a donation :)



Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Google+

Latest Posts

Topic: Minimal start conditions

einstein13
Avatar
Joined: 2013-07-29, 00:01
Posts: 809
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: Poland
Posted at: 2017-09-16, 00:13

GunChleoc wrote:

You could also detect if a map allows seafaring and only add the gold then, to make sure that a least 1 expedition can be started.

+1 for this idea! Perfect solution!


einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Avatar
Joined: 2013-10-07, 15:56
Posts: 2020
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Location: RenderedRect
Posted at: 2017-09-19, 13:24

Looks like we can't call "allows_seafaring" from the Lua interface yet. It would be easy to add though - please open a bug.


Top Quote
stdh
Avatar
Joined: 2013-08-04, 22:05
Posts: 23
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-09-21, 23:33

For the situation where there's no rocks right near the starting location, I implemented my idea of conditionally giving the player extra stuff so that they can expand (indefinitely, with enough trees around). The current code gives more granite (and takes away a plank for atlanteans) - but only for 'minimal' not for 'hardcore'. I pushed to lp:~stdh/widelands/minimal_startconditions. While testing, I found that the edge case of (initially) only having access to very few rocks actually happens, on Crossing the Horizon. Complexly annoying... But I think most maps are playable now.

Regarding the extra gold for expeditions, I'm not entirely convinced it's necessary, because IIRC most maps provide some gold near the start. But if we're making a rather tight start instead of an absolute hard-core start without any extras, GunChleoc's very workable idea seems fine to me. After all, how could I claim terms like 'hardcore' or 'minimal', when I didn't take into account mining gold on a marble hill (didn't know that was possible) or dismantling your first woodcutter to regain some planks. Should players complain about having too much gold, well, I suppose they can fix that themselves. face-smile.png

Did anyone try my 'minimal' start? I like the idea of having the player make most tools themselves, but I suppose it would be a bit annoying that your precious iron is so easily squandered on an extra builder. I had also thought about giving the player a toolsmithy, as a central building, in addition to the warehouse/HQ, but that might be hard to pull off practically.

WorldSavior wrote:

The album is not even hardcore music :-P

Right. I did a small search to see if the album title means anything special, and found this. Closer? face-wink.png

GunChleoc wrote:

Looks like we can't call "allows_seafaring" from the Lua interface yet. It would be easy to add though - please open a bug.

Done: bug


Top Quote
WorldSavior
Avatar
Joined: 2016-10-15, 04:10
Posts: 339
Ranking
Tribe Member
Location: Saxony, Djermany
Posted at: 2017-09-22, 16:26

stdh wrote:

Regarding the extra gold for expeditions, I'm not entirely convinced it's necessary, because IIRC most maps provide some gold near the start. But if we're making a rather tight start instead of an absolute hard-core start without any extras, GunChleoc's very workable idea seems fine to me. After all, how could I claim terms like 'hardcore' or 'minimal', when I didn't take into account mining gold on a marble hill (didn't know that was possible) or dismantling your first woodcutter to regain some planks.

I also don't think that it's really hardcore if you get gold for expeditions even in cases where you can build any mines face-wink.png

This gold is only really needed if you cannot build any mines on your island

WorldSavior wrote:

The album is not even hardcore music :-P

Right. I did a small search to see if the album title means anything special, and found this. Closer? face-wink.png

I see only a forum face-wink.png Is this hardcore foruming? ;-)


*insert phrase about the necessity of saving the world here*

Top Quote
stdh
Avatar
Joined: 2013-08-04, 22:05
Posts: 23
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-10-02, 22:46

If we want to include a minimal starting condition in the game ( - do we?), we should find a balance whether to include "extras" like the gold, and miners/farmers/... instead of iron. Surely if new players would use this to get the to know the tribes' economies more intimately, it should not be too hard on them. What do you all think?

WorldSavior wrote:

I see only a forum face-wink.png Is this hardcore foruming? ;-)

The discussion is about the gif being linked to at the top. Maybe that's a better demonstration of classic 90's hardcore? I'm not exactly an expert in this field...


Top Quote
WorldSavior
Avatar
Joined: 2016-10-15, 04:10
Posts: 339
Ranking
Tribe Member
Location: Saxony, Djermany
Posted at: 2017-10-12, 23:31

stdh wrote:

If we want to include a minimal starting condition in the game ( - do we?), we should find a balance whether to include "extras" like the gold, and miners/farmers/... instead of iron. Surely if new players would use this to get the to know the tribes' economies more intimately, it should not be too hard on them. What do you all think?

As there is already the Trident of Fire Scenario, something which is even harder would not be bad imho. When I played that scenario, I thought something like "if one would have only tools instead of workers, it would be even more complex"

WorldSavior wrote:

I see only a forum face-wink.png Is this hardcore foruming? ;-)

The discussion is about the gif being linked to at the top. Maybe that's a better demonstration of classic 90's hardcore? I'm not exactly an expert in this field...

Okay. I guess it's hardcore techno... I'm also not an expert of that face-wink.png


*insert phrase about the necessity of saving the world here*

Top Quote