Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Widelands tournament 2017: subscriptions started!

animohim
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2017-09-17, 13:06

Does the withdrawal of dershrimp mean there will be only 5 instead of 6 rounds?

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-09-17, 13:14

SirVer wrote:

I for one am very grateful that WorldSavior stretches the games to its limits.

You're welcome...

king_of_nowhere wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

I'm not sure that it's a bug, and I wouldn't say that I abused a bug...

It's a fact that expedition ships are able to change free port spaces. Why shouldn't an expedition ship have a certain grade of might; the ship is not cheap, the expedition is not cheap. You are able to click on "found a colony" and the ship will make a port construction side, so the territory will be yours. That is how it works. Why shouldn't you be able to destroy this constructionside immediately, before the goods are unloaded?

An expedition is expensive, a port is expensive. Permanently blocking a port space at the cost of a single plank is not expensive. It means that once you have the first expedition, you can block any number of port spaces with a very little amount of resources.

But you need a lot of time because you have to control the ship a lot. After each port space blocker, each expedition ends, of course...

Forester huts are also not made for defensive purposes, I guess. And military buildings which can be conquered by someone else are also not made for just being destroyed before. And so on...

And yet those strategies are simply using buildings as intended. The forester plant trees, and terrain conquered remains conquered until someone else conquers it. Instead an expedition is supposed to plant a port, not to conquer land with almost no expence.

You can also use an expedition for scouting...

more importantly, those other strategies can be countered. A forester wall can be chopped by woodcutters, terrain lost can be recovered. A port space blocked, instead, is permanent.

If possible, you can conquer a lot of terrain around the port space. So you will be able to build a new port there, even with a ship. And the counter strategy is: Build your port before the port space is blocked face-wink.png

Or another one: Build a port at the other port space while the opponent uses the port space blocker.

The flag and the territory will remain. Why should the opponent be able to use this port space now? One is not able to build ports into hostile territory...

The port space blocker increases the strategical depth of the game...

How would increase the depth of the game? once you set up the first expedition ship, you race to block all the opponent's port spaces, and it can't be undone in any way.

It just increases complexity. Look at a match on Ice Wars, there are three smaller islands with some port spaces each. It is more complex if one can do port space blocking, building ports and expanding on the islands to block the port spaces than just building ports and expanding.

kaputtnik wrote: I feel it is unfair to work with such tricks nobody else knows (or expect). So i would also vote for a call to remake.

Worldsavior didn't break any rule, and he was already winning by large anyway. It's unfair to penalize him. Plus, we all know he's going to win every time anyway.

face-grin.png

I wouldn't be so sure about that...

worldsavior: I don't think you'd like it if someone blocked your port space because he could get a ship one minute faster than you.

Yes, I wouldn't like it, but normally it doesn't work like this. Both players can get the expeditions fast enough to build their "own" colony ports - even if they are one or two minutes slower.

king_of_nowhere wrote:

teppo wrote:

I do not see a conflict of interest between King_of_nowhere the player and King_of_nowhere as organizer here.

That being said, I like the revised addition more than the initial sketch.

Actually, as worldsavior is my most direct opponent in the tournament, I would have every interest at ruling against him.

Yes, sometimes I can be a very direct person. face-wink.png

I've played only a couple times since the last tournament, and I don't have anymore the time and will to try as hard as I did in the past. I don't think I have good chances of beating him otherwise.

You don't think that you have chances of beating me if you don't "rule against me"?

Maybe we should decrease the possibilities for you to rule against me and other players?

And I remember the last tournament: You said that you don't have much time for "tryharding widelands", but before the last match, you prepared very well... face-wink.png

king_of_nowhere wrote:

EDIT: By the way, I have not congratulated worldsavior for managing to launch an expedition in 15 minutes. It was previously tought impossible. In the 2015 tournament, in the crossing the horizon map, nobody managed it.

Okay, and I haven't congratulated you for thinking that it's impossible face-wink.png

On "crossing the horizon", you need more than one sentry to reach the port space, so 15 minutes are impossible indeed, I guess...

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-09-17, 14:18

animohim wrote:

Does the withdrawal of dershrimp mean there will be only 5 instead of 6 rounds?

No reason to reduce the number of rounds. And technically, for the purpose of round pairing, there are still 12 people, one of whom is going to lose every single game.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-09-19, 10:45

because of real life i have to reschedule the match

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-09-21, 15:29

I have a question concerning the rules. Let's assume that three persons - A, B and C - reach the second phase. There they end with a draw again. The rules say now:

... If that also ends without a clear winner, then direct encounters will be used to break the tie, both from the first and second phase. ...

Let's assume furthermore that in the first phase player C has beaten player B and player B has beaten player A.

My question is now: Will the tie be broken now and if it will be case, how will it be broken?

Edited: 2017-09-21, 15:29

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-09-21, 18:50

WorldSavior wrote:

I have a question concerning the rules. Let's assume that three persons - A, B and C - reach the second phase. There they end with a draw again. The rules say now:

... If that also ends without a clear winner, then direct encounters will be used to break the tie, both from the first and second phase. ...

Let's assume furthermore that in the first phase player C has beaten player B and player B has beaten player A.

My question is now: Will the tie be broken now and if it will be case, how will it be broken?

Yes, in that case B will win alone. If, however, it also happened that A beat C, (just as it happened with me, you and notabilis last time) the three will win the tournament together.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-09-22, 00:01

Round 1 ended

round 2 is available https://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/2912/?page=1#post-21252

statistics are also updated https://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/2912/

I didn't post a ranking because so early in the tournament it would be pointless

we ended a week before the allotted time, and this week will be extra time for the next round.

Official announcement done, now a sort of informal bulletin:

The last game of this round ended with my victory. My decision to pick atlanteans proved wrong when nemesis was able to make an arena (the only training site that does not need gold) and launched an attack uusing the advantage of that single promotion. Luckily for me, nemesis didn't manage to make good roads, and he also lacked wood, so he could not press deeply his advantage. I managed to get gold and train soldiers just before he reached my farms, and then my greater skill at managing an economy and micromanaging soldiers won the day.

nemesis played remarkably well, considering he's not a regular member of this community. he started very similarly to worldsavior, so he either studied a good start, or he looked at replays and learned from stronger players. either way, that attitude can carry one far. will he be the revelation of the tournament?

The map needs a bit of fixing, though: blue player has a small advantage when it comes to roading port spaces, as he can make four roads leaving his south port, and three leaving his north port. Red can make three and two respectively.

The most notable thing happened in the round was worldsavior unleashing a glitch exploit to block a port space with minimal cost. Good job discovering it. Unfortunately for him, he didn't get to use it against one of his stronger opponents, so it was sort of wasted. It was decided to forbid use of the strategy in the future, and the programmers are looking for a fix.

There was already a match between two of the strongest players, einstein and mars. I would like to comment on it, but i could not see the replay due to version incompatibility (and lazyness on my part preventing me from downloading and installing a more recent version).

I was expecting people would need a long time to play since this is a huge map, but surprisingly everybody ended pretty fast.

Edited: 2017-09-22, 00:02

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-09-22, 15:18

king_of_nowhere wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Yes, in that case B will win alone.

Thanks for the information. But I think you mean "C" face-wink.png

Interesting...

If, however, it also happened that A beat C, (just as it happened with me, you and notabilis last time) the three will win the tournament together.

I was asking the question because I read the rules again and they are in this case identical to those of the last tournament. And now I'm wondering: Are you maybe mistaken? You declared also notabilis and yourself as winners of the last tournament, because you thought, that notabilis (player A) has beaten me (player C) in phase 1 ?
That didn't happened, we didn't play against each other there.

So: I am the only winner of the last tournament, right?

king_of_nowhere wrote:

nemesis played remarkably well, considering he's not a regular member of this community.

Actually he has been several times in the lobby during the last months (and certain other persons haven't been there face-wink.png ), so I regard him already as such a member.

will he be the revelation of the tournament?

Maybe face-wink.png

The map needs a bit of fixing, though: blue player has a small advantage when it comes to roading port spaces, as he can make four roads leaving his south port, and three leaving his north port. Red can make three and two respectively.

absolutely correct...

The most notable thing happened in the round was worldsavior unleashing a glitch exploit to block a port space with minimal cost.

Glitch exploit? No, but regular gameplay face-wink.png

Good job discovering it.

Thanks. Fun fact: If you do this trick in build18, the game crashes.

Unfortunately for him, he didn't get to use it against one of his stronger opponents, so it was sort of wasted.

Against you, it would have been very funny. But you shouldn't underestimate trimard face-wink.png

It was decided to forbid use of the strategy in the future, and the programmers are looking for a fix.

): That's a pity

I was expecting people would need a long time to play since this is a huge map, but surprisingly everybody ended pretty fast.

That also surprises me. I expected battles on the northern island, and even heavy fights at the southern ports.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-09-22, 15:35

WorldSavior wrote:

king_of_nowhere wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Interesting...

If, however, it also happened that A beat C, (just as it happened with me, you and notabilis last time) the three will win the tournament together.

I was asking the question because I read the rules again and they are in this case identical to those of the last tournament. And now I'm wondering: Are you maybe mistaken? You declared also notabilis and yourself as winners of the last tournament, because you thought, that notabilis (player A) has beaten me (player C) in phase 1 ?

Huh. I was sure you lost to him, but you actually did to sirver. So yeah, you should have won the last tournament alone, if the exact rules had been applied. What happened is that the rules can be complex on the fine points, and I don't remember them fully.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-09-22, 18:03

king_of_nowhere wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

king_of_nowhere wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Interesting...

Huh. I was sure you lost to him, but you actually did to sirver. So yeah, you should have won the last tournament alone, if the exact rules had been applied. What happened is that the rules can be complex on the fine points, and I don't remember them fully.

That's interesting face-wink.png

Yes, the rules are a lot of text, one does not have to remember every single detail of them face-wink.png

Top Quote