Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Widelands tournament 2017: subscriptions started!

einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-02, 17:40

As I remember: Laza - Barbarians, Einstein - Empire :)

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-02, 20:11

tando wrote:

Round 4

nemesis: ? - tando: Babaren

Reviewing the replay nemesis had played Empire tribe. This was build19.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-02, 20:45

well, worldsavior defeated me by making a (almost) fully promoted soldier in 35 minutes. 35 MINUTES!!!!

Back in the time when I first discovered this strategy, it took me 90 minutes to get one. with practice and refining I could shave the time to 75 minutes, then better. Today I knew I could get one in 60 minutes, and I was all "certainly he can't beat that. At least not by enough to take advantage of it".

Nope. 35 minutes. To do it that fast, he didn't even make a blackroot farm. one single well. One gold mine that could barely reach gold with the end of its radius. He mined exactly 2 gold, then he stopped it. He had exactly enough bread from the starting wares to make 4 soldiers with healt and evade and 1 with also attack. Atlantean shields are quite useless, so that's a fully trained soldier for every relevant purposes. with that soldier he killed enough of mine that I couldn't get back. If I let him advance he could kill my headquarter before I could get my soldier, and if I stopped him (which I did) I would lose all my soldiers. I kept playing mostly because I wanted to go down fighting. I defended very well, but he had too much advantage. I also made a few mistakes, but they wouldn't matter at that point.

I did a better job developing an economy, but by the time I started producing for good (60 minutes) I had already taken enough damage that it didn't matter anymore. On a bigger map I could have just retreated, but on a bigger map he'd certainly have done something else.

Well, congrats to worldsavior for winning. He keeps finding new ways to get the most out of the starting resources and just a bit more.

Edited: 2017-12-02, 20:47

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-02, 20:49

Now we need only wait the animohim-LAZA. are they going to play?

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-02, 20:51

We should make sure that other tribes can also use similar strategies, otherwise if atlanteans can make a fully promoted guy in 35 minutes and everyone else can't we have a balance problem. Also, maybe we should nerf a bit atlantean level 0 soldiers (they were made strong with the idea that atlanteans would have a slow start, but instead they can rush pretty well with labirynth) and buff proportionally the shield promotions, which are very useless at the moment, especially given how expensive they are.

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2017-12-03, 08:33

king_of_nowhere wrote:

Also, maybe we should nerf a bit atlantean level 0 soldiers (they were made strong with the idea that atlanteans would have a slow start, but instead they can rush pretty well with labirynth) and buff proportionally the shield promotions, which are very useless at the moment, especially given how expensive they are.

What about removing the blackroot flour and possibly something else also from Atlantean start wares, to make the shortcut go away, and preserve the differences between tribes?

I watched the replay, and I have to say it was an impressive show. Congratulations for the victory!

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-03, 10:55

We were discussing this topic in https://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/4155/ before we got sidetracked. Maybe we should use that thread for general early-game promotion balancing?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
animohim
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2017-12-03, 11:54

Still no answer by LAZA :/. Think you have to forfait us.

king_of_nowhere wrote:

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-12-03, 12:59

animohim wrote:

Still no answer by LAZA :/. Think you have to forfait us.

king_of_nowhere wrote:

if LAZA does not answer and you can't play before next sunday, you are going to win by forfait.

Top Quote
animohim
Ranking
Likes to be here
Posted at: 2017-12-03, 22:46

Please provide the replay files of WorldSavior vs King of Nowhere!

Top Quote