Latest Posts

Topic: Widelands tournament 2017: subscriptions started!

king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-10-26, 23:20

speaking of availability, I just got a new job - tecnically it is still the same job, since I've been a high school teacher since last may, but lacking a fixed contract I must wait until I'm called, and now I have been called. And I was given a lot of job. which is especiially bad since I have limited experience on the job yet.

So, I'm going to have less time for widelands. Expect updates to come less timely from now on.

I hope in a few weeks I'll clear the initial hussle and find some time, because I would like to prepare well when I'll play against worldsavior.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-10-27, 08:00

Glad you found a new job face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-10-27, 21:05

Hi everyone,

I have won with LAZA. He is a good player, but I managed to remember few tips for this map. Hope he enjoyed the game too.

The replay is available under http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/LAZA_vs_einstein13.zip
We both were playing Empire.

Thanks again for a great game!

Einstein

Edited: 2017-10-27, 21:06

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-10-27, 23:32

A remarkable thing is that LAZA is probably the first player in this tournament who choosed "random" as his tribe. What is the acronym of that? RNE, as he draw empire? (RNA for drawing ATL, RNB for drawing BAR?) face-wink.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Hasi50
Version: 1.2 (selfcompiled master etc)
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-10-28, 07:41

I tried to watch that replay with bzr8467[trunk] (which you obviously used) but this did not work at all:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1728202

please confirm.

Btw. my Game against Gun is scheduled at: 2017-11-05 11:00 CET

Here are the widelands where people may dwell, walking around care that evrythings well.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-10-28, 08:22

Hasi50 wrote:

I tried to watch that replay with bzr8467[trunk] (which you obviously used) but this did not work at all:

The 'Choose a replay' screen shows that this match was played with build19. Open the replays with build 19 works here.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-10-28, 11:23

I forgot to announce my tribe - I'll just pay random, since I can't make up my mind face-smile.png

@ king_of_knowhere: I hope everything will go well at your new workplace!

Edited: 2017-10-28, 11:24

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-10-28, 17:29

GunChleoc wrote:

I forgot to announce my tribe - I'll just pay random, since I can't make up my mind :)

You don't have to announce it in advance: I decided to part with that rule, since there is no discernible advantage in picking a tribe against another and most players are set in their choice anyway

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-10-28, 23:58

Worldsavior's next opponent will be nemesis in any case, as he has the lower bucholz. If both him and me win the next turn, we'll have our final showdown on two frontiers.

I have to say, I must refine the pairing algorithm. I put the mechanism 'highest ranked picks lowest ranked opponent with the right score' because I envisioned a scenario where a player would lose one game at the beginning, then get many easy wins as all the stronger players bleed against each other. This is something that happened in chess tournaments fairly often until they made a pairing algorithm to prevent this (though that one uses not standing in the ranking, but elo rating). Unfortunately, this pairing algorithm also has the disadvantage that the leading player keeps playing with the easiest possible opponents he could get. Fortunately, this tournament has lots of rounds for few participants, but the risk that the two strongest players would end up first and second without ever facing each other was real. This is, incidentally, what happened with chess tournaments after they implemented that pairing system, and it sucks. However, that pairing system favors stronger players, giving them easier games and maximizing the chances that they will get a money prize; and stronger players are the ones making the rules, so, you know...

Anyway, probably next time I will specify that if there is one player leading alone, he will be paired with the strongest available opponent; the 'higher bucholz with lower bucholz' mechanism will only be used among players with equal score.

P.S. I'm not saying worldsavior got easy rounds. In fact, he faced or will face all the strongest players (well, unless I lose next turn, but then the pairing algorithm cannot be held at fault). But if there were more players and less rounds, it may have happened that he skipped the best opponents.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-11-05, 14:11

Hasi & I played on trunk (bzr8476/bzr8477). Hasi won with 1211 points vs. 1094 points.

We are now collecting the crash info for creating new bugs... I decided to resign 10 minutes before the end, because we had another crash and I had lost anyway.

I was leading by ca. 100 points after 2 hours, so well done to Hasi for winning anyway!

We had agreed not to attack each other, so make it a purely economic race.

Edited: 2017-11-05, 14:13

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote