Latest Posts

Topic: Improving economy settings

WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-26, 15:20

It would be an improvement if one could set economy settings to infinite. This could achieved by a new button, or infinity could be below zero - even though this would be a little bit weird.

Another nice feature would be if you could make your own standard settings in the menu (not ingame menu). For each tribe, or even more than one for each tribe.

Furthermore it is hard to do the settings, especially in online matches where it's slower. It's just very slow. It would be helpful if one could type the numbers with the keyboard somehow... or if there would be further buttons with +/-5, +/-50 or something like this.

I miss something which vanished after build18: The Minimal economy settings. Economy settings have not been only maximal economy settings like now, but also minimal economy settings: If you had more wares than the settings, the wares have been automatically transformed into the next higher ware.

I don't know if it makes sense to introduce second economy settings, the minimal ones, but one could introduce an economy setting "-1", which would mean, that the ware would always been transformed into the next higher one, ignoring other economy settings.

Maybe it would make sense to introduce economy settings for basic resources again (wood, grain, water etc.), so they could be the minimal economy settings for that ware. This could be helpful for charcoal burners, for example.

(No Edit, just correction)

Edited: 2017-06-26, 18:15

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-26, 20:28

What do you mean by "Minimal" economy settings? The only change that I remember after build 18 is that we now allow setting a ware amount to 0, which was not possible before. You still had to keep pushing the button in the exact same way that you do now.

Having a spinbox with optional bigger steps is a good idea, we have an UI element for that already. You can see it in action in the options menu. We could let its range start at -1 and replace the -1 label with "Infinite", accompanied by the required engine changes.

the wares have been automatically transformed into the next higher ware.

I don't understand what you mean here.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-27, 11:37

We could let its range start at -1 and replace the -1 label with "Infinite"

+1

Furthermore it is hard to do the settings, especially in online matches where it's slower. It's just very slow. It would be helpful if one could type the numbers with the keyboard somehow... or if there would be further buttons with +/-5, +/-50 or something like this.

+1

Another nice feature would be if you could make your own standard settings in the menu (not ingame menu). For each tribe, or even more than one for each tribe.

+1

By the way, why do barbarians have a target quantity for meat? They have no meat production building that consumes anything.

I´m not sure if I understand the concept "minimal economy setting" correctly. As I see it, the idea is that if for example you have 50 logs and 20 coal, and the maximum setting of coal is lower than 20, then the charcoal burners will still work if the 'minimal' log setting is below 50. Did I understand this correctly? If yes, then this would be nice to have, but I´m wondering if it wouldn´t just be too complicated.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-27, 12:50

GunChleoc wrote:

What do you mean by "Minimal" economy settings?

If you have more wares in stock than the minimal economy settings, all buildings which transform this ware will ignore the economy settings of the products, so they might produce.

The only change that I remember after build 18 is that we now allow setting a ware amount to 0, which was not possible before.

That change happened, but it's not the only one.

Well, it was also a little problem that the economy settings had two functions instead of one, at least for wares which are not "basic wares" but "products".

So, a problem has been solved

You still had to keep pushing the button in the exact same way that you do now. Having a spinbox with optional bigger steps is a good idea, we have an UI element for that already. You can see it in action in the options menu. We could let its range start at -1 and replace the -1 label with "Infinite", accompanied by the required engine changes.

It would also be possible to have "-1" and "infinite, and "infinte" could be below "-1"

the wares have been automatically transformed into the next higher ware.

I don't understand what you mean here.

"automatically" means that you don't have to increase the economy settings of the next higher wares in order to let the buildings work again.

Nordfriese wrote:

By the way, why do barbarians have a target quantity for meat? They have no meat production building that consumes anything.

Probably someone forgot to remove that when other basic ware economy settings have been removed. But it probably has no effect: I never saw my taverns producing rations ignoring the economy settings of rations - after build18.

I´m not sure if I understand the concept "minimal economy setting" correctly. As I see it, the idea is that if for example you have 50 logs and 20 coal, and the maximum setting of coal is lower than 20, then the charcoal burners will still work if the 'minimal' log setting is below 50. Did I understand this correctly?

Yes

If yes, then this would be nice to have, but I´m wondering if it wouldn´t just be too complicated.

It might be confusing again, if it's in the same window. So one could think about two different economy settings with two different windows

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-27, 18:55

You have a point about the Barbarian meat. The engine calculates automatically which wares to show from their properties, so it shouldn't show up, since the hunter has no input ware.

So, with the transforming you mean for example if I have tons or Barbarian flour, it should automatically be turned into bread, because it's used for nothing else? That might be a bit difficult to pull off though, since bread also uses water, and water might be needed elsewhere more urgently.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-28, 15:17

There is an analogue mistake with meat in the atlantean settings.

Well, it worked like that: The bakery doesn't work only because there is too much flour. There had also to be too much water. So it's not that difficult

By the way, there is no barbarian flour face-wink.png

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-28, 16:37

Details, details... BTW the Spinbox idea won't work, because there can be multiple wares selected which all have different values. So, we will need to implement separate buttons for the big steps and the infinity thing.

And I have been wondering: what would be the difference between "maximal" and setting the next higher ware to infinity? I'd say let's go with infinity only first to see how that works for us. The second idea can always be implemented later if it's still needed.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Notabilis
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-06-28, 17:09

Can we use a keyboard modifier for this? We would keep the current + and - buttons to increase/decrease all selected settings by 1. When the user is holding, e.g., CTRL while pressing the buttons we could modify by 10, similar how there is a "stronger" effect for the dismantle button.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-06-28, 18:07

Yes, that would be a good idea.

How about a key combination to access ware columns, and Ctrl+A to select all?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Notabilis
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-06-28, 19:09

Would be possible, but I don't know if this is needed. A better / more frequent player should say something about this, but in my opinion its not that often that you change the economy settings. Since we can already select rectangles of wares with the mouse, a key combination would probably be a feature that won't see much use.

Top Quote