Latest Posts

Topic: "Northmen" Tribe Page

Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-08-26, 13:30

These immovables wouldn´t be suited for this map… the entire ground is salt meadow, and it is supposed possible to be arable. There is no terrain that exactly suits salt meadows: summer_steppe is infertile enough and looks like island Hooge on a sunny day, but it supports the wrong kind of trees; summer_meadow1 looks a bit like Langeneß in a storm, but it is much too fertile. I chose summer_meadow3 as it supports trees that don´t look entirely out of place, though it looks too green and is too fertile.

To make the scenario look really authentic, there is no way around designing some 4-5 new terrains and trees. And I don´t think there should be a whole new editor world added just for a fairly minor improvement to a scenario. I´ll leave it as it is now and only make more changes if they improve the gameplay. I´ll play it in full once more and then move on to scripting the second scenario (introducing aqua farms and recycling).

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-08-26, 13:52

Yep, that would be a lot of work for a minor tweak, unless the trees and terrains would also benefit other map makers.

The requested AI change has just hit trunk.

renews_map_resource = "foo",

Has now been replaced by

supports_production_of = { "foo", "bar" },
Edited: 2017-08-26, 13:52

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-08-26, 18:32

Also, the extra score for such proximity is maybe bit low, I can increase it or involve genetic algorithm here.

BTW, I will not be available for few days...

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-09-28, 10:06

I am scripting the second scenario at the moment. It is almost ready for testing, but I have two questions how to script some special behaviour. I didn´t find help for that in the scripting documentation.

• Player 2 (AI) may not attack a building belonging to player 3 if that building´s internal name begins with "barbarians_".

• Players 1 and 2 are temporarily allies, but I don´t want them to share a vision so they don´t learn each others "secrets".

Any hints how to script this?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-09-29, 19:51

Not supported via scripting - sadly, I don't expect it to be that trivial either.

A general ban on attaching for a player for a period of time, I could imagine - still needs C++ coding though.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-09-29, 20:05

Attacking ban looks like interesting idea. The question is if this would be general ban (also human player would have attacking disabled) or just a AI variable (or player's variable) that would indicate to AI that attacking is prohibited.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-10-01, 17:15

The possibility to script a general ban for player X not to attack player Y would be a possible solution to both problems – p2 would be forbidden to attack p3; instead of being allies, p1 and p2 could be forbidden to attack each other for a while. The latter wouldn´t work if the ban was AI-specific, though. And this wouldn´t solve the first problem exactly, but I expect such specific rules would be hard to code.

GunChleoc wrote:

Not supported via scripting - sadly, I don't expect it to be that trivial either.

Implementation suggestion: each player has a variable boolean attackable [nbPlayers], all entries defaulted to true, which can be accessed by scripting; if the player checks whether a building of player X can be attacked but attackable[X] is false, the attack isn´t permitted: AI could decide against attacking the site, human players might be unable to open the attack window.

I don´t know if that solution would be possible, or how hard it is to implement. However, the possibility to script an attack ban would really improve my scenario, it is quite easy otherwise…

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-10-02, 06:49

Problem is it is too much work for too little use - I can not see any other use than your tutorial...But if somebody implemented the rest I will modify the the AI side

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-10-03, 20:47

We do have some form of attackable concept in the game, maybe we could expose that to the Lua interface with only little code needed.

I won't have time to work on this before November tough.

Edited: 2017-10-03, 20:49

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-10-14, 15:50

I just pushed the latest version of the scenario to launchpad. It should be playable now but I didn´t test it completely yet, because I made a mistake so the rest of the mission became a bit too difficult for me…

When I made an enemy of the AI who started as my ally, it never attacked me although it was lots stronger than me. Bug?

The possibility for the attack ban would really improve this scenario. Also, I noticed some strange/random-seeming/unexpected behaviour regarding the sight shared with my temporary ally. Is this intended or a bug?

The storyline of the mission is quite straightforward: the player settles in the far North, builds a colony in difficult terrain; there are initial problems with metal and fish, so recycling centres and aqua farms are introduced; the player can decide whether to get the nearby Empire tribe as a very friendly and not-at-all-expensive ally to help against the hostile Barbarians and only then fight the Empire, or fight both at once (keeping in mind they are much stronger than him, even worse than in the first scenario…).

I´d appreciate opinions, ideas, suggestions, criticism, bug reports… face-smile.png

Top Quote