Latest Posts

Topic: "Northmen" Tribe Page

Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-20, 15:17
  • The bee-keeper can let his bees swarm over any medium field or bush. These are barley/wheat/corn/blackroot fields, berry bushes, reed patches and grapevines (I usually build 1 bee-keeper next to each berry farm). I´ll add this to the helptexts in the next upload.

• I agree that the number of medium-size building is somewhat too high. Perhaps the reed farm could be made a small building (again), but it wouldn´t make sense for most medium buildings if they are made small (they all store wares, the equivalents in other tribes are medium or big…).

• All right, bricks are quite expensive. Letting 1 brick cost 1 clay + ½ granite + ½ coal should be expensive enough. I don´t think reducing building costs is necessary then. I´ll add this in the next revision.

• In all games I played with the frisians, the amount of soldiers I could recruit was always limited by the availability of iron and coal. I always had at least as many fur clothes as basic swords, so I don´t consider them that expensive. Making the rookies stronger is a good idea, though. Increasing basic attack by 300 makes them too strong, but 150 seems to be have pretty good results. The chance in % of frisian rookies to win when…

Attack level: now +300 +150
BAR is being attacked 56,8 83,2 72,4
BAR is attacking 47,7 74,5 60,1
EMP is being attacked 48,7 76,5 64,7
EMP is attacking 39,6 68,6 53,6
ATL is being attacked 39,8 70,6 56,4
ATL is attacking 27,2 62,8 45,6
FRI is being attacked 53,4 54,6 55,6
FRI is attacking 46,6 45,4 44,4

(I am confident I interpreted the tables from einstein´s program correctly face-smile.png )

The changes of soldier stats in the next revision: Health increase +250, attack base +150, attack increase –25

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-20, 16:42

Nordfriese wrote:

• I agree that the number of medium-size building is somewhat too high. Perhaps the reed farm could be made a small building (again), but it wouldn´t make sense for most medium buildings if they are made small (they all store wares, the equivalents in other tribes are medium or big…).

Have you never played atlanteans?

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-20, 19:10

the seamstress and weaving mill would also fit enough as small buildings, since they don't store that much stuff.

You also asked about tools, which so far are all made with iron and log. So what could be changed

fire tongs: iron

fishing net: fur (many ancient people made ropes from animal tendons, and neither iron nor wood makes sense for this)

needles: get 2 for one iron (they are small, they don't require a full iron)

as tools are made rarely, they don't affect much the balance, and so we can go mostly for flavor with them

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-20, 19:42

if the reed farm is now a small building (which I fully appreciate) it should be less expensive as I suggested earlier. For me a build cost of 2 brick, 1 log, 1 reed should be fine. will test new revision with this settings.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-20, 19:53

and most building costs have to be strongly reduced. they are just too slow. Even when I made a goood start and didn't run out of anything, half an hour into the game all my land still fits into the screen at normal zoom.

In particular wooden towers are absolutely horrible as expansion buildings. they are expensive (need more time to build) and they conquer little terrain - and you feel the difference between 5 and 6, especially when you go south and you lose another step because of the flag. An awful building for expansion doesn't couple well with a tribe that needs lot of space. In fact, while we could leave the wooden tower as scouting building, I'd say frisians definitely need something like barbarian imperial sentries: fast, inexpensive buildings good to conquer land.

Farms cost 15 resources, against 8 resources for most other tribes. Ok, they may be inexpensive resources - but not really, because bricks cost coal and stones - but they add on building time. it takes some 10-15 minutes to complete one farm. Reindeer farms are even worse, requiring 27 wares. The most expensive buildings (ports, training camps, atlantean castles) require 20, and they need some 15-20 minutes to build. The acqua farm has 20 water, which is fine, as it is a late game building, but it also has 18 other resources.

Now I understand why soldiers were originally so strong: to compensate for all this awful inefficience. But if we made it that way, frisians would be screwed on any small map where they get killed before they have the time to do anything, and they would be invincible in any large map where they have time to make an economy.

So, I suggest keeping the high cost of bricks, but strongly reducing the need for them. New costs I propose, for keeping in line with costs of similar buildings for other tribes

building old cost (logs-stones-bricks-reeds) new cost other notes
clay pit 1 1 2 2 1 1 1 1
fruit collector 2 0 3 1 2 0 2 1
bee keeper 1 0 2 3 1 0 1 3
sentinel 2 0 3 1 1 0 1 0 reduce vision range to 8 and capacity to 2
warehouse 1 0 10 6 2 2 5 3
reed farm 1 1 5 1 1 1 4 0 let's make a reed farm that does not need reed, less risk of getting stuck
brick burner 1 4 3 2 1 2 2 2
furnace 1 2 7 2 1 2 4 2
blacksmith 3 3 6 3 1 1 2 2 for every other tribe, the toolsmith costs 6 wares
small armour smithy 1 2 6 3 1 1 3 3
tannery 6 0 4 4 3 0 2 2
bakery 4 4 5 3 2 2 3 2
brewery 3 3 5 3 2 0 3 3
tavern 1 0 6 2 1 0 4 2
reindeer farm 7 8 8 4 2 2 3 2
farm 2 4 4 5 2 2 2 4
acqua farm 5 0 8 5 3 0 4 3 20 water still there
large training arena 6 6 8 6 4 4 6 6 3 gold unchanged

I also propose, still for the purpose of reducing the consumption of large spaces, that acqua farms could be small buildings. The farmer then would proceed to dig vats in the terrain nearby, and those vats would be sort of like reed fields, but permanent until the building is destroied. thhey would be filled with water and used to breed fish. So the fish farm would still require space, but it could be made in rough terrain.

Edited: 2017-07-20, 20:33

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-20, 23:00

Another thing I'm noticing is that rock mines are very inefficient: they only produce one stone for every ration. And while rations are inexpensive because they can be made with fruit (which is only slightly more expensive than barbarian meat) you only have one berry planter or harvester to start with, so it is easy to get stuck having insufficient berries and not having enough rocks to make the bricks needed for furnace, blacksmith and iron mine.

Coonsider that atlanteans and imperials can train a fully promoted soldier after about 75 minutes of game, in almost every map condition; barbarians need around 100 minutes, mostly because training the master blacksmith takes time (maybe we should reduce the experience needed? I open a thread for it). Frisians should be no slower than that to make a fully trained guy. If they take more than two hours, they are underpowered.

Edited: 2017-07-20, 23:02

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-21, 00:33

Yet again another way to reduce the need for medium plots and simplify the economy would be to let the advanced buildings produce the stuff of the basic ones. mead brewery does not produce beer, honey bakery does not produce bread, and large armor smith does not produce low level weapons. one such things can be acceptable, but three are a nuisance, and too crippling on small maps. I'd say, pick one out of three, and for the other two remove the need for the simple building.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-21, 09:20
  • Tools: The suggestions for fire tongs and needles are good. Frisian fishing nets used to be woven out of reed, so a cost of 2 thatch reed for 1 net would be good. New storage capacity of blacksmities: 8 iron, 7 logs, 4 reed?

• Enhanced buildings: That the large armour smithy doesn´t produce low-level weapons and helmets was sort of the point of the recent change… And the master seamstress should follow that logic and produce no normal fur clothes either. But enhanced bakeries and breweries could make ordinary bread/beer, too.

• Rock mines: Could produce 2 granite per ration (deep rock mine could produce 3 per meal). I found that just one berry farmer and fruit collector is too inefficient, I´ll add another pair to the starting workers.

• The aqua farm change is a good idea. The new "fish breeder" working there could dig ponds, in which the fish mature, and then he fishes for them. Or another idea: The clay digger leaves a hole in the ground where he digs for earth, the fish breeder fills it with water and young fish, the fish mature, the fish breeder fishes them out and drains the hole. The clay digger would be able to dig for earth in dry holes (so he doesn´t run out of space). Dry holes vanish after some time. The aqua farm should then be a small building with a buildcost of about 2 logs, 2 bricks, 1 reed. It would still need water and fruit to fill the holes. The worker would be a normal fisher (no need for a shovel, as he doesn´t dig the holes himself).

• Small military buildings: Perhaps we could have both buildings with a radius of 6; the wooden tower slightly more expensive with a high vision range; the sentinel cheaper, 2 soldiers, with low vision range.

• Traditional Frisian buildings always have reed-thatched roofs. So I think the reed farm could still cost 1 reed. Perhaps 1 reed, 3 bricks, 1 log, 1 granite. I tested the reduced brick cost (½ granite per brick) and found it doesn´t change much. So, reverting to 2 granite + 2 clay + 1 coal = 2 brick and reducing the building costs is a better approach. Your building costs are very good suggestions. I already mentioned differing build costs for reed farms and aqua farms. I´ll include all the other values in the next upload (costs for enhancing will be changed accordingly).

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-07-21, 09:52

As well as the number of bricks needed to build anytjing there are some problems with ciclular dependancies. My quarry was getting low on stone so I had started builing a mine and had found a new quarry site, both of these need brick to build them but my granite supply ran out before I had enough stone to create bricks. This was made worse as I was at the begining of mine upgrading which meant upgrading a tavern and brewery, both of which needed mor bricks,. I had to turn off the brick storage at all building sites except the quarry and mine then dismantle two wells to reclaim bricks. Once the quarry and mine were working I ran out of coal as there were no rations or meals being made. It took a lot of micro management to get things back on track.

It was made more difficult as I made first contact with an Imperial tribe at the same time. I had a working barracks but no training sites were working, so I had a supply of untrained soldiers. With the current trunk AI soldiers are a bit trigger happy and they were attacking immediatley. While defending against their untrained soldiers I lost about 2 for every 10 of theirs, not what I would call weak. Once they stopped attacking it implied they were not recruiting soldirs and the line of sentries had only one soldier, the blockhouses can only hold one anyway. I advanced my troops, two to every sentry and blockhose, my losses were more like 5 of mine to 10 of theirs, acceptable for the level I think.

Wodeen towers were one of the most useful buildings, they used no brick, and I could leapfrog across their supply lines easily, dismantling as I advanced. By the time I got close to their HQ my training sites were online and I was getting soldiers with one health or one defence at the front line and my loses were dropping to 1 to 20, and the odd loses by me were due to attacking with wounded soldiers.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-21, 13:07

Tinker wrote:

As well as the number of bricks needed to build anytjing there are some problems with ciclular dependancies.

yeah, that's why I was arguing for removing the reed cost from the reedyard.

But I'd say the only truly bad moment is when you run out of stones or coal. bricks need both, and if (when) your mine runs out, if you don't have a stock (and often at that point of the game you don't) you are screwed. You can't make a new rock/coal mine without bricks, and you can't make new bricks without the mine. and mines do run out on their own. if you didn't make a brick burner or a reedyard, that's your fault, you get stuck by your own mistakes, but if your mine runs out, you get stuck by chance. So I would remove brick and stone requirements from rock and coal mines, and that should fix most circular dependencies problems

Top Quote