Latest Posts

Topic: "Northmen" Tribe Page

Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-12, 10:55

The target quantity is not the only factor that decides whether a ware is produced. The production cycle only checks whether the economy needs the ware, and that is implemented as:

bool Economy::needs_ware(DescriptionIndex const ware_type) const {
    Quantity const t = ware_target_quantity(ware_type).permanent;

// we have a target quantity set
    if (t > 0) {
        Quantity quantity = 0;
        for (const Warehouse* wh : warehouses_) {
            quantity += wh->get_wares().stock(ware_type);
            if (t <= quantity)
                return false;
        }
        return true;

// we have target quantity set to 0, we need to check if there is an open request
    } else {
        for (const Request* temp_req : requests_) {
            const Request& req = *temp_req;

if (req.get_type() == wwWARE && req.get_index() == ware_type)
                return true;
        }
        return false;
    }
}

To prevent production of certain weapons/helmets, it is necessary not only to set the target quantity to 0 but also to set the stock target of these wares to 0 in every individual training site (stopping them is not enough). If there are several, this can be quite annoying and unnecessarily complicated. So, I now vote for option 3, which simplifies this micromanaging by providing an easier way to prevent production of wares that are not desired without having to adjust stock targets in all trainingsites.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-12, 12:11

Nordfriese wrote:

The target quantity is not the only factor that decides whether a ware is produced. The production cycle only checks whether the economy needs the ware, and that is implemented as: To prevent production of certain weapons/helmets, it is necessary not only to set the target quantity to 0 but also to set the stock target of these wares to 0 in every individual training site (stopping them is not enough). If there are several, this can be quite annoying and unnecessarily complicated.

If we are talking of a fast game where you don't have time to train soldiers, then you don't have training sites. the moment you make a training site is the moment you'll want to train your soldiers. at most, you'll have to set the quantity to 0 in a single training site. if you have multiple training sites, then your economy rocks and you clearly want to train soldiers and do it fast. if you made multiple training sites when you cant afford even one, that's a mistake and you hare going to pay for it.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-12, 15:25

Exactly

hessenfarmer wrote:

from my perspective one of the problems is that controlling the weapons quantity with the economy settings is that it forces the production site to skip. As skipping is time consuming as well (especially in a long cycle) this is to be taken into acount.

But only a very short time which is not really relevant. Do you know how much it is? If you look at the lua-files (of the barbarian war mill for example) you could make the conclusion that it doesn't consume time at all.

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-12, 20:58

But only a very short time which is not really relevant. Do you know how much it is? If you look at the lua-files (of the barbarian war mill for example) you could make the conclusion that it doesn't consume time at all.

Ok took a look at the lua files. for every other tribe you might be rigth but not for the frisians. every other tribe first checks wether to skip than sleeps than works than sleeps eventually again. the frisians first sleep than checks wether to skip and so on. so I suppose to change the order as for the other tribes and see how it works. Maybe no other change is needed, hopefully.

Another thing I found out is that there is a real advantage of the frisians regarding the usage of gold. They are currently the only tribe which does not need gold for building ports. This is not reasonable from my perspective. ( imho you need to bribe the dock workers guild to build a port and you need gold to found a trading port at foreign coasts ;-))
Also they don't need gold to build training areas which is unique ammongst the tribes as well. I'd suggest to add 2 gold to the building cost for the port ( as for every other tribe) and 4 gold to the big training arena. the small arena could be build without gold.

Edited: 2017-07-12, 20:59

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-12, 23:29

hessenfarmer wrote:

Ok took a look at the lua files. for every other tribe you might be rigth but not for the frisians. every other tribe first checks wether to skip than sleeps than works than sleeps eventually again. the frisians first sleep than checks wether to skip and so on.

Makes no sense in my opinion. I suggest that they first check if they should skip and that they sleep after the work.

Another thing I found out is that there is a real advantage of the frisians regarding the usage of gold. They are currently the only tribe which does not need gold for building ports. This is not reasonable from my perspective. ( imho you need to bribe the dock workers guild to build a port and you need gold to found a trading port at foreign coasts ;-)) Also they don't need gold to build training areas which is unique ammongst the tribes as well. I'd suggest to add 2 gold to the building cost for the port ( as for every other tribe) and 4 gold to the big training arena.

+1

very important points

the small arena could be build without gold.

I'd even say that also the small arena should cost gold, otherwise the advantage would be too big.

Just take a look at other tribes: Atlanteans need two gold for each trainingssite and the others need four, except for the imperial arena, but this one is doing only one promotion.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-13, 10:58

I pushed a new revision (8399): The port now costs 2 gold, small training camp 1 gold, large training arena 3 gold. Buildings with more than 1 production program now skip the program before sleeping if the economy doesn´t need the ware.

king_of_nowhere wrote:

Nordfriese wrote:

The target quantity is not the only factor that decides whether a ware is produced. The production cycle only checks whether the economy needs the ware, and that is implemented as: To prevent production of certain weapons/helmets, it is necessary not only to set the target quantity to 0 but also to set the stock target of these wares to 0 in every individual training site (stopping them is not enough). If there are several, this can be quite annoying and unnecessarily complicated.

If we are talking of a fast game where you don't have time to train soldiers, then you don't have training sites. the moment you make a training site is the moment you'll want to train your soldiers. at most, you'll have to set the quantity to 0 in a single training site. if you have multiple training sites, then your economy rocks and you clearly want to train soldiers and do it fast. if you made multiple training sites when you cant afford even one, that's a mistake and you hare going to pay for it.

You have a point here.

Still, I prefer option 3 because that makes it the player´s responsibility to find a good balance between low-level and high-level armour smithies. Option 4a balances itself pretty well, the player only has to ensure a steady supply of wares and everything balances perfectly. This doesn´t really fit in with the Frisians being a 'complex' tribe – I´d prefer to have the small but interesting extra challenge of 2 weapon/armour producing buildings (it is necessary to find a balance between level 1/2 bakeries, breweries and especially seamstresses – why not armour smithies?).

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-13, 16:22

Nordfriese wrote:

I pushed a new revision (8399): The port now costs 2 gold, small training camp 1 gold, large training arena 3 gold. Buildings with more than 1 production program now skip the program before sleeping if the economy doesn´t need the ware.

Sounds good

king_of_nowhere wrote:

Nordfriese wrote:

You have a point here.

Still, I prefer option 3 because that makes it the player´s responsibility to find a good balance between low-level and high-level armour smithies. Option 4a balances itself pretty well, the player only has to ensure a steady supply of wares and everything balances perfectly. This doesn´t really fit in with the Frisians being a 'complex' tribe – I´d prefer to have the small but interesting extra challenge of 2 weapon/armour producing buildings (it is necessary to find a balance between level 1/2 bakeries, breweries and especially seamstresses – why not armour smithies?).

There is also an option number 6 possible: It could be like number 3, but with the difference that the cycles will not be S1 H1 S2 and S3 H2 S4 but

S1 H1 S2 S2 S2 and S3 H2 S4 S3 S3 S4 S4 or similar. So the buildings will not produce three times more S1, H1 and H2 than needed...

If options 3 and 6 are just too complex, maybe option 4 should be taken.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-13, 16:57

I think I´m about to lose the overview about the options, so I´ll repeat the (as I think) most interesting candidates:

• option 3: basic armour smithy produces S1 – H1 – S2, advanced armour smithy produces S3 – H2 – S4

• option 4a: armour smithy produces S1 – H1 – S2 – S3 – S4 – H2 – 2S2 – 2S3 – 2S4

• option 6: basic armour smithy produces S1 – H1 – 3×S2, advanced armour smithy produces S3 – S4 – H2 – 2×S3 – 2×S4

Perhaps these are enough options… Let´s just put it to a vote now. I vote for option… (difficult choice… very difficult choice…) 3.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-13, 18:22

Nordfriese wrote:

I think I´m about to lose the overview about the options, so I´ll repeat the (as I think) most interesting candidates:

• option 3: basic armour smithy produces S1 – H1 – S2, advanced armour smithy produces S3 – H2 – S4

• option 4a: armour smithy produces S1 – H1 – S2 – S3 – S4 – H2 – 2S2 – 2S3 – 2S4

• option 6: basic armour smithy produces S1 – H1 – 3×S2, advanced armour smithy produces S3 – S4 – H2 – 2×S3 – 2×S4

Perhaps these are enough options… Let´s just put it to a vote now. I vote for option… (difficult choice… very difficult choice…) 3.

I vote for a variation of 4a: armour smithy produces S1 H1 S2 S3 H2 S4 S2 S2 S3 S3 S4 S4

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-13, 22:22

definitly option 3 from my side, cause production cycle does not matter if you control this by economy settings

Top Quote