Latest Posts

Topic: "Northmen" Tribe Page

Nordfriese
Topic Opener
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-04, 17:50

I´m uploading another revision now (8393). It has improvements to the tannery, coal mine and deep coal mine; conquer radius of sentinel changed to 6, fortress 12, tower 11. I copied working animations for most buildings, but I did not yet change: Aqua Farm, Barracks, Brewery, Brick Burner, Clay Burner, Mead Brewery, Recycling Centre, Reindeer Farm, Seamstress, Master Seamstress, Honey Bread Bakery, Weaving Mill. I´ll make calmer animations for those soon.

@Tinker: If you are on arch linux, you can install gdb with pacman install gdb (I think this is what the command is called, though I´m not 100% sure), then get the latest branch revision, compile it as a debug build, then run

gdb
  file /path/to/repo/frisians/widelands
  run --verbose

After the crash, copy the entire output and post it. It will hopefully contain a pointer where the problem lies.

Another idea: perhaps it has something to do with the fragmentary helptexts (I have no idea if that could be the cause). Try compiling widelands with ./compile.sh -w -t.

The Frisians are based on the Northern Frisians (Nordfriesen in German) who live on the west coast of Schleswig-Holstein, Germany (Kreis Nordfriesland). These are closely related to the other frisian tribes in the Netherlands (Friesland) and Niedersachsen. The idea for the Widelands tribe is that they are descended from Northern Frisians and migrated north, retaining the real Northern Frisian culture in their new home.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-04, 18:26

By the way, it is possible that I made a little mistake in my calculations: Because some soldiers have 13000 lifepoints, I thought that the smallest unit of attack would be 1. But Einstein13 told me that it is 10. (important for the attack random value.) Confusing...

But this doesn't change the values a lot, I guess

Nordfriese wrote:

I assumed an increase of attack for Frisians of 1000 per level, because different values for min/max attack increase are not possible (as far as I know).

Well, theoretically it is possible face-wink.png

king_of_nowhere wrote:

speaking of that, I wonder if it would be a good idea to increase the random factor in attack at higher levels. so far, the only thing mattering is whether they kill in 5 hits or in 4, and a small increase in attack or healt is either indifferent, because it does not change the number of strikes needed, or huge, because it does. with a higher random factor, a small difference would change slightly the chance of killing with one or less hits. it would make balancing more regular.

So you mean "I wonder if it wouldn't be..."?

Nordfriese wrote:

conquer radius of sentinel changed to 6, fortress 12, tower 11.

Sounds good

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-04, 21:34

Tinker wrote:

I had a problem running 8390 so I tried 8392 and had the same error.

After placing the initial buildings the game crashes with a corotine error, .../scripting/lua_errors.cc:22] attempt to index a nil value.

Does it say anything more than that?

I don't think that gdb will give us a lot of new information, since the crash happens within Lua.

Another question: I now started making some better (Frisian-looking) building images. I downloaded one of the blender files of the building images in trunk, but I couldn´t open it. What blender version is needed?

Version 2.49 for some of them. blender-2.76b seems to be OK also, but I ran into trouble with some of the roof textures.

hessenfarmer wrote:

For my personal benefit could you please explain how the hot spots work in drawing the buildings?

https://wl.widelands.org/docs/wl/animations/

hotspot
    Mandatory. The x, y coordinates for adjusting the placement of the animation. Increase x to shift the animation to the left and y to shift it upwards.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-04, 21:43

Tinker wrote:

After placing the initial buildings the game crashes with a corotine error, .../scripting/lua_errors.cc:22] attempt to index a nil value.

I am also on arch linux. The branch works for me (just tested for a short time). I guess it's a specific building which causes the lua error. Which buildings do you build?

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-04, 21:55

Nordfriese wrote:

king_of_nowhere wrote:

when will the frisians become available for a windows version?

Since there are no changes to the source code, you can use the frisians by just downloading the files. Follow the link to the launchpad branch, click the most recent revision number, choose "download tarball", unpack the files. Open a command prompt (press Windows-R, type "cmd.exe") and run ~~~~ C:\Path\To\Widelands.exe --datadir=C:\Path\To\Unpacked\Files\data ~~~~

I think the option is called "--datadir"; if it doesn´t work, do "C:\Path\To\Widelands.exe --help" to view the correct option.

You can run it like this with any installed widelands version. It will crash after some time with build19, so I recommend a development version (the branch is forked from version 8384).

the command prompt doesn't work for me. i tried to use help, but i just get a list of all possible commands, and I don't even know what's datadir supposed to do. not execute a file, or i would just need to write the name of the file at the end of the path.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-04, 22:11

The option --datadir= tells widelands just where to find the game data (images, scripts and so on). The part after the equal sign (=) must be the full path to the directory, e.g --datadir=C:\Private Einstellungen\Widelands\data\ (but i am not familiar with windows anymore) face-upset.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-04, 22:28

@ king_of_nowhere
You need a quite actual build on windows. This could be obtained from Tinos Site (see download unofficial windows builds) or appveyor ( see also download) ( I prefer Tinos builds but that is only taste for 64bit for 32 bit you need definitly appveyor).
Then you need to download the branch of Nordfriese with bazaar to the preferred location in your filesystem. ( mine is D:\development\widelands-repo\frisians). There you'll find the folder data and within that folder the tribes folder. Copy the tribes folder ( using right click menu or ctrl+c. Then navigat into installation folder of your testing widelands version ( I have 3 of them example path is D:\Spiele\Widelands_trunk) There you find as well the data folder (should be the only folder by the way. open it and paste the previously copied tribes folder (either by mouse or ctrl+v). agree to repalce all files within the popupwindow. Thats it enjoy the frisians (which is definitly joy due to the new and complex economy),

@ Nordfriese and all first of all I had to correct myself. I did not loose level 10 heroes, they were only level 8 or 9. Though level 10 heroes are very expensive to train. they now seem to be really unbeatable while attacking cause they could easily retreat. Need to playtest with newer revision but in my game they were definitly too strong. ( seems like the math was right and I was to blind to recognize they were not fully trained) sorry for the confusion.
regarding animations I would prefer only natural animations as I love watching my little world from time to time ( this is a legacy from my settlers history). so although the circle animations aren't that annoying I'll prefer an animation where a blachsmith is hammering something or so. I really think that fits better into the game. for the testing phase now the circle would be okay as a compromise.
regarding the deadlocks I fully agree with your point that there is a chance within every tribe. So it is one of the challenges to avoid them. ( even managed to get into a wood deadlock with babarians in the scenario I created, just because i lost attention for the known risk). However I think frisian buildings are very expensive regarding stone and coal. But maybe this is a tradeoff for getting unbeatable heroes in the final. Only thing is you can use this against dumb AI but against real players it might be hard to survive long. ( I really would rush for a frisian opponent as fast as I could to gain his land without spending building materials at the earliest opportunity.)
So military strength in the end game is not worth anything if you never reach the end game. you even cant stop expanding cause you need plenty of land for your economy which enforces the risk of running into an opponent.
regarding berries I had 4 to 5 in the beginning due to my misconception that they are needed for honey production as well. Found out later on that honey could be harvested in the woods as well. so next time i will reduce the numbers of berry planters and fruit collectors.
I'll keep on testing and keep you informed.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-04, 23:08

hessenfarmer wrote:

@ king_of_nowhere
You need a quite actual build on windows. This could be obtained from Tinos Site (see download unofficial windows builds) or appveyor ( see also download) ( I prefer Tinos builds but that is only taste for 64bit for 32 bit you need definitly appveyor).
Then you need to download the branch of Nordfriese with bazaar to the preferred location in your filesystem. ( mine is D:\development\widelands-repo\frisians). There you'll find the folder data and within that folder the tribes folder. Copy the tribes folder ( using right click menu or ctrl+c. Then navigat into installation folder of your testing widelands version ( I have 3 of them example path is D:\Spiele\Widelands_trunk) There you find as well the data folder (should be the only folder by the way. open it and paste the previously copied tribes folder (either by mouse or ctrl+v). agree to repalce all files within the popupwindow. Thats it enjoy the frisians (which is definitly joy due to the new and complex economy),

i already had an actual build, yes.

so why give me complicated console commands when all I needed to do was copy-paste the "tribes" folder? :-0 I am curious because if you suggested the console, it means that to you, someone with programming skills, it is the natural, easiest way, and I wanted to understand how typing commands into the console could be simpler or more natural than copy-pasting a folder

Anyway, now I have the option of choosing frisian, but if I start a game i get an error message (note: i get an error message even if i start a game without frisians). it complained that it missed a parentheses in the deep coal mine near 10000, I tried to add it manually (with notepad) and now the game just shuts down itself. I remove the parentheses, and the game still shuts down itself. I'm doing something wrong or the windows version is not yet functional. I was using 8392 as base

EDIT: i forgot to specify that the frisian build i had downloaded was tagged as 8393

Edited: 2017-07-04, 23:15

Top Quote
Ex-Member
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-07-05, 09:24

GunChleoc wrote:

Tinker wrote:

Does it say anything more than that?

I don't think that gdb will give us a lot of new information, since the crash happens within Lua.

The console lines before the crash are

Forcing flag at (25, 57) Message: adding warehouse for player 1 at (25, 56) Forcing flag at (67, 111) Message: adding warehouse for player 2 at (67, 110) Error in Lua Coroutine

No nothing more is output, except the full path which I shortened to ../

The ingame error box does not display the full message as the line is to long to fit in the message box so I ran it from a console to see the full message.

The error occurs as the headquarters is built for both sides, it does not matter which side is player 1 or 2 and as the Frisians only have one starting condition which works for other testers it sseems to me that building is not the cause.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-07-05, 14:02

wait, does it work on only one starting condition? because i set endless game, maybe if i used the right condition the game would work?

Top Quote