Latest Posts

Topic: economy limit troubles.

Tricksty
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-01-05, 11:50

let's have a look to the situation in this Image.

https://s27.postimg.org/g65zrq4j7/2017_01_05_02_17_37_Widelands_build_19_Release.png

The problem here is that the economy only count the total items in possess of the player, instead of the items that are actually easily reachable.
Would be very useful a button, or a setting, that permit the system to perform a calculation of each unconnected mesh of buildings as different economies.

this would really help when colonizing different isles.

Thanks. and congratulation again for the nice game.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-05, 12:02

that's actually debatable, because often you may want to keep a global count. in particular, while you may want cheap renewable building materials like trunks and planks to be available at any port and warehouse, stuff like weapon you generally want to keep ccentralized.

but despair not, there is a way around that: if you set the "preferentially store selected ware here" for the same ware for several warehouses, the game will try to have the same amount of that ware in all those warehouses. so if you have 4 ports and a target of 40 planks and you set all 4 ports to preferrably store planks, the game will put 10 planks in each.

Top Quote
Tricksty
Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-01-05, 13:03

king_of_nowhere wrote:

that's actually debatable, because often you may want to keep a global count. in particular, while you may want cheap renewable building materials like trunks and planks to be available at any port and warehouse, stuff like weapon you generally want to keep ccentralized.

but despair not, there is a way around that: if you set the "preferentially store selected ware here" for the same ware for several warehouses, the game will try to have the same amount of that ware in all those warehouses. so if you have 4 ports and a target of 40 planks and you set all 4 ports to preferrably store planks, the game will put 10 planks in each.

I understand this point but that will take time for the ship to travel the sea and bring the goodies. I have learnt that time is something that in this game makes difference between the winner and the loser so in the specific case the only thing the player will do is to disable the economy limit(increase it to 99 or more) in order to have the sawmill start producing the plank that is needed for the nearby fort. Which in my opinion is awkward.

I mean I understand why the other plank in the other isle are not being produced but in that specific economy (the one of the new island) I really need the plank to be produced.

but I agree with you that the setting should be resource related and this could complicate the UI in a way that I was not considering at the start of the thread.

Edited: 2017-01-05, 13:03

Top Quote
No0815
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-01-06, 09:51

This is one of the cases where delegating the decision to the program isn't a good idea. Programming a logic that can solve these cases reliably accordingly to the players intend will most likely be hard or impossible.

Why not simply add a button to the buildings windows "enforce production"? All it would need to do is to disable checks for any limitations from economy settings so that this building keeps producing whenever it has the required resources on stock.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-06, 16:02

I think that just increasing the stock limit is enough; though we may want to set that one numerically instead of just clicking "+1" hundreds of times. Ultimately, you need to have one single algorithm to deal with any case, and let the player fine-tune the variables to suit to his decisions. For example, boat transport is fast if you have 2 close ports, but if you have 20 ports in a 512x512 map then you may have to wait one hour per ware delivery even if you've been producing ships full time with 4 shipbuilders for 10 hours. I think the current algorithm is the best I can think of, because it lets you adapt if you know how to use it.

Top Quote
JanO
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2017-02-15, 09:31

In Settlers 3 each building had buttons for urgent jobs, which the player could raise a counter to a maximum of 20 with. Then the building would try to produce these wares completely ignoring any checks on the rest of the economy. Maybe that would be a solution with minor needs of coding?

Unfortunately, not for the AI...

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-02-15, 12:45

I try to find this in my memory of playing Settlers 3 and I can't. There are two places, where something you described can happen:

• priority of wares / production for the building, which we have partially (and I don't think we need to change it)
  • setting number of weapons / tools to produce, which we have in total: we don't use percentage of each ware, but target number of each ware

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-02-15, 18:51

In theory, you could also build a warehouse and then cut all road connections between the sawmill and the port. Anything that's not connected by a road or my sea is counted as a separate economy.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-02-15, 20:12

JanO wrote:

In Settlers 3 each building had buttons for urgent jobs, which the player could raise a counter to a maximum of 20 with. Then the building would try to produce these wares completely ignoring any checks on the rest of the economy. Maybe that would be a solution with minor needs of coding?

I like this idea, especially as it is not "forever" so player can happily forget that he somewhere set the thing like this.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-02-15, 21:09

Yes, if the counter goes down with every produced ware until it reaches 0, that would solve the problem neatly.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote