Latest Posts

Topic: letting fishers fish over roads

king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-12-15, 21:33

so right now we have this thing that if there is a road on the coast, a fisher cannot fish. it makes no sense. I think fishers should be stopped only by immovables that cannot be stepped on, like stones.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-12-15, 22:24

The reason that it's blocked is that it uses the same function as for finding a space to plant a field etc. So, we will probably need special code for the fishers in order to fix this.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-12-15, 23:17

ah, so it started as an accident born from hasty coding, and then it became ingrained into the game...

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-12-16, 06:27

ah, so it started as an accident born from hasty coding, and then it became ingrained into the game...

I think that is a bit underselling what happened. Most features in Widelands are accidental in nature - we implement one version and see how it feels and change it if needed. For the fisher it felt natural that it was not standing in the middle of a busy street, but looked for a unused space. I was mostly concerned with the visual clutter of too many bobs in one place.

I am also unsure if it should be changed - we can experiment of course and we should discuss. I like the tradeoff that you can either fish or have an efficient road network on the sea shore. The sea shore is very attractive for roads, because they never destroy your building spaces - i.e. it is dead space for all intents but fishing. But if you want to fish, you cannot use this highway anymore on the fields that you want to get fish out. It made road building definitively harder in my last tournament game.

The biggest problem with this "feature" is discoverability: users will happily build roads on the sea and then wonder why the fisher cannot find a spot to fish.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-12-16, 13:15

I agree with SirVer - in most of maps we don't have to fish on roads. You can choose between roads and fishing. For some (extreme) maps, it is different.

For me it should be left at it is now. More thinking = more fun face-smile.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
trimard
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2016-12-16, 14:11

More thinking = more fun face-smile.png

My god this comment is so german! That's just awesome, it made my day face-grin.png

On a more serious note, are you sure about that point? I mean, there should always exist a balance between difficulty and ease to learn the game. I think it could stay but only if there is a way for noob player to know why their fisher isn't working at all.

I'm a noob and I never knew about that, I'm just lucky I never built road blocking my fishers.

Top Quote
No0815
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-12-16, 15:17

Since I stumbled over this thread I just want to give my two cents.

I am also unsure if it should be changed - we can experiment of course and we should discuss. I like the tradeoff that you can either fish or have an efficient road network on the sea shore. The sea shore is very attractive for roads, because they never destroy your building spaces - i.e. it is dead space for all intents but fishing. But if you want to fish, you cannot use this highway anymore on the fields that you want to get fish out. It made road building definitively harder in my last tournament game.

The biggest problem with this "feature" is discoverability: users will happily build roads on the sea and then wonder why the fisher cannot find a spot to fish.

While I'm really not sure if I agree with you, it now at least makes sense to me how it's currently working. I didn't even know until I read about it quite recently, that a fisher wouldn't be able to fish under these circumstances. It surely ain't intuitive. So, if you keep it that way, please! For the love of god! Let the players KNOW about it!!! I can't emphasize it enough! It's these kind of "features" that can drive new players nuts or, like in my case, to completely give up on the whole game. And Widelands has quite some of those features.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-12-16, 16:00

I was actually considering it in terms of balancing issues. Atlanteans are dependent on fish, but once they set up breeders and fishers, they only need a very small area to do the actual fishing. they can build roads freely. Barbarians don't need fish, as they already have very cheap meat. empire, however, needs to use fish or resort to expensive, slow and space-consuming piggeries. So I considered the measure as intended to help empire through the mid game in maps with limited access to water, and in general to help imperial players in their placing of roads. Yeah, doesn't sound so convincing now that I'm writing it. If I were to suggest a buff to the empire fish/meat economy, it would be by speeding up piggeries, not by prolonging fish. Still, from a flavor point of view, fisheries giving the "out of fish" message when you make a new road doesn't sound very good.

Anyway, if it is decided to leave matters as they are, I strongly suggest that we at least take No0815 suggestion and specify the thing in the help text. It takes one minute to change the text accordingly.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-12-16, 17:05

I was aware of the road thing because it's explained in one of the campaign scenarios, but I do agree that we need to add this to the helptext.

trimard wrote:

More thinking = more fun face-smile.png

My god this comment is so german! That's just awesome, it made my day face-grin.png

Especially since Einstein isn't German face-grin.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote