Latest Posts

Topic: things to add to replays

king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-21, 19:12

i've been watching a lot of replays from the tournament, and I feel several improvements would be welcome. I post a list here in the hope it will interest some programmer with plenty of free time face-smile.png

• possibility to go backwards. ideally, there would be an advancement bar like on a media player, and the spectator could scroll on it. but every way of going backwards and seeing that big fight that yoou just missed because you were looking elsewhere would be welcome.

• possibility of seeing the statistics from the full game from the start. that way, you can immediately see points of interest and jump directly to them.

• chat feed: so far, there is no way to see what is said in chat.

• player names: when humans are playing, their names should be visible somewhere.

• player view: activate to see what a player is seeing. includes access to statistics like building statistics and stock, which are precluded otherwise.

• comparative statistics: check production statistics or stock of all players to see in real time who's doing better with more accuracy than general statistics (which don't tell much).

all those things except player names and chat feed can be done with the data already present in the replays.

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-21, 19:31

advancement bar looks very interestingly indeed, but I think replay is a series of changes, not series of snapshots. In theory I can imagine replay as series of savegames + series of cumulative changes since last savegame - similarly as in AVI video, where some frames are complete and some only differential. But I would also appreciate such functionality..

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-21, 19:46

Tibor wrote:

advancement bar looks very interestingly indeed, but I think replay is a series of changes, not series of snapshots. In theory I can imagine replay as series of savegames + series of cumulative changes since last savegame - similarly as in AVI video, where some frames are complete and some only differential. But I would also appreciate such functionality..

could be implemented by programming the replay to restart and advance from the beginning to the desired point, then pause. it would not be the best way, and it would not be fast - it would lag for a minute or so before it make all the calculations needed to jump to the desired time - but it would still be preferrable to having to watch the replay from the start.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-21, 20:26

Tibor is correct at what a replay is. It was meant as a debugging aid, not really for replaying games for people to watch for enjoyment. I think the features you are suggesting are nice and would be great, but are infeasible without changing what we save into the replay. For example, to go back in time we would require to keep periodic states that we can reload and emulate forward from that (sync: a savegame every 15 seconds or so). And to draw the graphs we'd require to simulate the full game - something that is faster than realtime, but not by a factor of 1000x unfortunately.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-22, 09:16

The players view to have more statistics is the most feasible of this wishlist - it needs some selection though.

It also bothers me in a game that there is no list of players and teams - would be nice to have generally.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote