Latest Posts

Topic: Widelands tournament 2016; official announcements

king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-20, 16:38

GunChleoc wrote:

For round 3, we will be playing Wood Gnome. In case a player loses all his buildings, the game will still continue (-> open bug), so we will have to declare the last man standing as a winner manually.

resigning the game, when it is clear that you're losing, is always an option. I hope if someone lost all his land he will not insist for playing all the 4 hours face-smile.png

fuchur wrote:

Are there already replays which can be downloaded?

Suggestion: Add a link to the replays (or replay page) to the tournament news section and keep this news section sticky until the tournament is over. Or use the wiki page of the tournament which already has a section for replays which currently states: TODO: add link to replay downloads.

I have to upload them. Unfortunately, I don't know how to, so I asked Sirver. Otherwise, I will have to find a way to register a dropbox account and make it public, which is something I could eventually manage to, but I'm not looking forward to it. Hopefully, replays will get uploaded soon.

toptopple wrote:

My secret weapon was a Woodcutter who went stealing in the neighbour's garden! face-wink.png May I now claim "I was holding place 1 in the Widelands 2016 Torunament"? Great!

You were first before the round was played (because eveyrone was tied to 0), and you are still first after first round, so you can even claim that you held first place for two consecutive rounds!

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-20, 17:24

king_of_nowhere wrote:

"in theory, everyone would grab an artifact, then they could go fighting to steal them before taking the last. but there are a couple reasons this is unlikely to happen in most games:

unless you knew exactly where the artifacts are, it would be very easy to capture them by mistake. and at this point you can't uncapture them anymore.

most players don't make that much calculation. they would just expand naturally, and grab the artifacts.

of course, I may be wrong. But i envisioned, like, 6 draws if I did nothing."

my answer: 6 draws don't sound realistic to me, but I don't want to say anything else against the use of toptopples map any more face-wink.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
LAZA
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-11-20, 17:56

king_of_nowhere wrote:

Are there already replays which can be downloaded?

Suggestion: Add a link to the replays (or replay page) to the tournament news section and keep this news section sticky until the tournament is over. Or use the wiki page of the tournament which already has a section for replays which currently states: TODO: add link to replay downloads.

I have to upload them. Unfortunately, I don't know how to, so I asked Sirver. Otherwise, I will have to find a way to register a dropbox account and make it public, which is something I could eventually manage to, but I'm not looking forward to it. Hopefully, replays will get uploaded soon.

If you send me all the replays i will add them to all the others i have from the last tournaments... face-wink.png

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p4xakp4ky9dbx0i/AACW2jVY92b2prB56z7unWuUa?dl=0

Edited: 2016-11-20, 18:13

* Dell X58 *
Xeon W3680 @ 3.33 GHz
M391B5673FH0-CH9 - 12 GB @ 1.33 GHz
R7260X-DC2OC-1GD5 DirectCU II OC
SP900 64 GB SSD = root; ST3000VX000-1ES1 = home; 2x WD2003FYPS-2 = pub
BDR-208D
-
* Manjaro Testing Xfce *

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-20, 20:45

I also have access to the Widelands webserver, so after we have finished a round, king_of_nowhere can send them to me.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-21, 19:32

A week is passed, and I'm proud of you. Seven of the 8 games have been played on time, and there have been no litigations. Particular credit goes to toptopple and kristin, who left their game suspended after the first evening - something that would give them full right to go to the second week without incurring any penalty - and they still managed to complete it before the end of the week. Most games were interesting and well played, I've only seen a couple of players making large mistakes. The playing level is definitely stronger than the last time, despite the absence of some of the strongest players - mars, einstein, dershrimp. Sirver should upload the replays any time too.

I would like to post the new round already, unfortunately there is one game missing, that between hasi50 and alleyjazz. I contacted them both, and none of them had noticed that the tournament had contacted the other in the first place. So, for failing to play on time, they both receive a -1 bucholz penalty. Most worrying, though, is that alleyjazz hasn't answered yet, neither by PM, nor by mail. I hope nothing bad happened to him in real life. Either way, now that hasi50 has attempted to contact his opponent, if alleyjazz will keep not answering the game will be won by forfait by hasi, and alleyjazz will be expelled; this will happen tomorrow, since he's been silent for a week already, starting the count the moment the tournament was called. Luckily, the rules and the pairing system take into account the possibility and how to deal with it, so it will not be a big problem.

Remember that to play the next game you will need the new version of the checkmate map, downloadable at https://wl.widelands.org/maps/checkmate-a2/

I also remind you that if you want to change tribe, you will need to notify me before the new round is posted

Edited: 2016-11-21, 19:34

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-21, 21:25

Sirver uploaded the replays at http://www.widelands.org/~sirver/wl/161121_tournament_2016_replays/

And I updated the information on the wiki page https://wl.widelands.org/wiki/WLTournamentTwentySixteen/

EDIT: AlleyJazz has answered, so we will keep all 16 players after all.

Edited: 2016-11-21, 21:26

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-22, 09:12

The kristin-toptopple replays need zipping.

Good to hear that AlleyJazz has replied face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-22, 18:45

[Non-combat-game-modes]

I just wanted to add my 2c here: I fully agree with king_of_nowhere that disabling combat is not the way to put the focus on building up. In fact, I think combat is required for an interesting game, but I think it makes for a poor win condition alone. That is why I love collectors so much: If you do not balance building your military (which looses points, since you require the most precious wares) to racking up points you will loose. You have to pay really close attention on what the economy of your enemy is doing and you can build strategic vantage points using trees and terrain to hold spaces with fewer soldiers.

Top Quote
LAZA
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-11-22, 19:23

king_of_nowhere wrote:

Sirver uploaded the replays at http://www.widelands.org/~sirver/wl/161121_tournament_2016_replays/

And I updated the information on the wiki page https://wl.widelands.org/wiki/WLTournamentTwentySixteen/

EDIT: AlleyJazz has answered, so we will keep all 16 players after all.

Sorry to bring this up at this time, cause you have a lot of work to do and done...

But i think it would be much easier for you and everybody if the table on the new Tournament site were alphabetically

* Dell X58 *
Xeon W3680 @ 3.33 GHz
M391B5673FH0-CH9 - 12 GB @ 1.33 GHz
R7260X-DC2OC-1GD5 DirectCU II OC
SP900 64 GB SSD = root; ST3000VX000-1ES1 = home; 2x WD2003FYPS-2 = pub
BDR-208D
-
* Manjaro Testing Xfce *

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-22, 20:04

But i think it would be much easier for you and everybody if the table on the new Tournament site were alphabetically

Done.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote