Latest Posts

Topic: Widelands tournament 2016; official announcements

trimard
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2016-12-21, 12:17

I regret to announce that epicspartan and trimard are given a penalty for being late with their turn.

I think only me should take a penalty. I was the one taking time to answer at first, and epicspartan was very fast to answer from his side.

I won the game btw. Finally one! That was really awesome. I have never been that much into a widelands game. Epicspartan made an epic start, and heavily attacked my domain which I had since eons (like 1hour)!

But I was able to gain some time. I destroyed all my towers and forced epispartan to gain terrain only by constructing enough military building (I think that's the standard strategy, but it was actually new to me). With that time gained I was able to train one elite, and then another one, and then another one. Thanks a lot King for that tactic, that was very effective! First I tried poking him from the other side (where we hadn't attacked each other at all). Then I put my elites back in the defense side, by building back very small military buildings. When I had 3 elites soldiers I put them at this level. And that's when epicspartan attacked me with all his troop left. The battle was fierce. But the brave atlanteans heroes held. And thus victory, which had seemed so far away (I seriously considered quitting the game a few times), was finally attainable!

I think epicspartan definitely had the best economy, and could have defeated me if he had had more elite heroes. It was already very close.

It was very fun to delocalize my factories too. The map was really tough considering place management, but that's what make it cool!

Sorry for being late anyway I wasn't a very good participant to this tournament :(.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-12-21, 18:28

Since you played a few hours after I sent the message, I'm going to not give penalties after all. Also, you asked to give forfait to your third game so that the 4th round could start earlier, and that put you in a position where you had troubles playing the first week. I'd feel bad penalizing you as a result of something you did to speed up the tournament.

Btw, you should send me the replay.

EDIT: With only one game remaining, I posted some projection for the ranking

EDIT 2: My personal philosophy is that as long as people are motivated to do good and are doing a fair job with it, you can - should - be flexible with the rules. only when people are intentioned to do as bad as they can get away with rules need to be enforced strictly. So far every player has been sportsmanlike. So, my lax attitude is a reward for the goood ambience created by all the players. I would tighten discipline if this good atmosphere were to be compromised.

EDIT 3: trimard, I've seen why epicspartan didn't have more troops to carry on: he forgot to make a coal mine. he'd probably have won otherwise. nevertheless, he progressed a lot from the first game.

Edited: 2016-12-21, 21:34

Top Quote
LAZA
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-12-21, 22:33

Edit: Had a thought and lost it - but again:

It would be good to know the Operating Systems and which version the people are playing in the tournament. The broad variety of Windowses, Linuxes, OSes... would help some newcomers do find their "right" OS where Widelands is definitv running.

BTW: It is BUCHHOLZ

Edited: 2016-12-22, 21:23

* Dell X58 *
Xeon W3680 @ 3.33 GHz
M391B5673FH0-CH9 - 12 GB @ 1.33 GHz
R7260X-DC2OC-1GD5 DirectCU II OC
SP900 64 GB SSD = root; ST3000VX000-1ES1 = home; 2x WD2003FYPS-2 = pub
BDR-208D
-
* Manjaro Testing Xfce *

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-12-23, 00:07

----------FINAL ROUND IS OUT-------------

Pairings are, as usual, in the first page of this thread, in the newspage, and in the wiki.

What will happen in the final round? will up to four people share the first place? Or will I manage to leave everyone behind? Who of those in the middle rank will manage to rise near the top? Who will win - not by forfait - for the first time? Stay tuned to find out.

As I announced already before the beginning, this round will have a massive time dilation to take holidays into account.

Also, LAZA: I played chess tournaments for over 20 years, and never noticed the second "h" face-shock.png Probably because it is almost always abbreviated as Buc or Buc1, and the spelling is not evident from the pronunciation. Also, who outside of the polish linguistical family could ever imagine something like a "double h" sound?

Top Quote
Lokimaros
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-12-23, 05:04

king_of_nowhere wrote:

Also, LAZA: I played chess tournaments for over 20 years, and never noticed the second "h" face-shock.png Probably because it is almost always abbreviated as Buc or Buc1, and the spelling is not evident from the pronunciation. Also, who outside of the polish linguistical family could ever imagine something like a "double h" sound?

Anyone sufficiently acquainted with the Germanic linguistic family: the word is a combination of Buch (book) and Holz, (wood), in German. Just FYI to clear that up.

Top Quote
Hasi50
Version: 1.2 (selfcompiled master etc)
Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2016-12-23, 11:23

So I played against Notabilis yesterday 2016-12-22 and lost the game. We both had similar ideas how to use the space on the map, I invested in some future that would never come, though. But I focused to much on the farms and so had a lot of bread OTOH I had a water shortage for quite some while. I was blocked by some wood I did not manage to cut away early enough and therefore was to late with my fishermen and other shortcomings. When I reached the end of the Fjord Notabilis had castels on both of his sides already and an good wood economoy. He knows that trick to train and place some hero soldiers just wehere you need them. We where living in some peace wiht almost all space claimed. I tried to play some tricks witth scouts, but thes people are just to unreliable :-). I then attacked just that Hightower with some well trained soldiers inside. My troops where not that bad but his (then perhas two) heros massacred my soldiers. I lingered around another 30 minutes perhpas but could not really improve my situation (Well I stole some logs planted by his foresters). In the End I asked for and was crushed. I surrendered as he overrun the Tower guarding my one and only Warehouse. Thanks for the game I still can learn a lot.

Here are the widelands where people may dwell, walking around care that evrythings well.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-12-24, 14:06

king_of_nowhere wrote:

Also, who outside of the polish linguistical family could ever imagine something like a "double h" sound?

First, I can't remember "polish linguistical family", probably you mean "Slavic languages" face-smile.png And I even asked my wife about "double h" and in Polish there is no common word with double h face-wink.png Maybe there is, but it is not very common. As it was told, in German you can find double h.

I know that it is not the end of the tournament, but I would like to congratulate all of the participants! The games were (and will be) great and full of fun. I am reading all the messages posted here and it seems to be as the tournament should look like. I am very happy for you all!

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
No0815
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-12-24, 17:05

I've been reading along this thread for a while now. The analysis of king_of_nowhere finally persuaded me to watch the replay of tando vs. waylon. Wow, I'm impressed! Together with the analysis it felt like kind of a revelation about how this game is designed to be played. I'm still debating this with myself but I'm quite tempted to play this map with a human opponent, too. Though I'm still terribly inexperienced it looks so intriguing to give it a try.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-01-02, 16:41

Tando and I will play our round 5 game on January, 13th at 7.30pm CET.

Top Quote
AlleyJazz
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2017-01-05, 09:52

LAZA and I will play tonight at 20.00 cet+1 (i think,german time that is)

Top Quote