Latest Posts

Topic: Widelands tournament 2016; official announcements

toptopple
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-12-06, 06:19

I noticed a slight imbalance between player Blue and player Red. Since you are all in a hurry about playing the match, now it appears too late to correct it.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-12-06, 07:08

I won't be able to host starting from next week, so yes, I am in a hurry to play face-wink.png

waylon531 and I will play tonight (Tuesday) a 18:30 UTC.

Edited: 2016-12-06, 11:25

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-12-06, 07:15

[2/3 options and king_of_nowheres analysis of strategy]

I think 2/3 would have worked great for this map in particular, but I envision on other maps 2/3 would be the wrong ratio. For example, if this map would be changed so that each player had easy access to 2 artifacts for holding hostage instead of 1? Another idea would be to copy what king-of-hill style game modes for FPS games do: once you have a majority of artifacts, you start gaining points - say every every minute one point - and the first player to 100 wins the game. This makes the holding hostage unviable - it is only to your decrement. It also makes maps with even number of artifacts interesting in their own right. It also encourages battling over artifacts instead of stomping your enemy and it makes rapid expansion a viable, but not game-ending strategy. What do you think?

As calvission is a 4 player map I will set the other two players to "closed". Did I miss some rules about this?

That is how I interpret it too.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-12-06, 07:23

Instead of points, we could have a timer for 30 minutes like we have in Territorial Lord.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-12-06, 16:26

SirVer wrote:

I think 2/3 would have worked great for this map in particular, but I envision on other maps 2/3 would be the wrong ratio. For example, if this map would be changed so that each player had easy access to 2 artifacts for holding hostage instead of 1? Another idea would be to copy what king-of-hill style game modes for FPS games do: once you have a majority of artifacts, you start gaining points - say every every minute one point - and the first player to 100 wins the game. This makes the holding hostage unviable - it is only to your decrement. It also makes maps with even number of artifacts interesting in their own right. It also encourages battling over artifacts instead of stomping your enemy and it makes rapid expansion a viable, but not game-ending strategy. What do you think?

Brilliant. I wholeheartedly approve. we could award one point every second (to avoid complains about the rounding of minutes) and let the player set up the score limit of the game.

As calvission is a 4 player map I will set the other two players to "closed". Did I miss some rules about this?

of course, the other two players will be closed

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-12-06, 17:23

There is so much that I would like to do around the win condition code and settings, but I need to redesign the game launch screens first. Working on those screens is a bit complicated, because of the interactions with the game controller and networking. So, I haven't made much headway yet.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
toptopple
Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2016-12-06, 18:28

Some questions remain:

1. This is good for 1v1 but is it also good for many players? Some people might not be at ease with 50% and prefer 25 as threshold for counting. Others may think 50 is not good but 65 is.

2. With such a solution the "all collected" criterion becomes obsolet. Some players may find it were a good choice though. For instance the "real peaceful" players - in contrast to the "nominal peaceful" players. The real peaceful players would enjoy a non-combat game that ends when all artifacts are collected or a certain amount of time has passed. A time-race, but if objects are hidden well on many islands, still an interesting game.

3. What options should or could be offered with the game modus "Artifacts"? I name several collected here without attempting at their inter-relation:
- choose subtype "all collected" or "point counter"
- choose with or without combat
- choose a maximum play time (optional)
- choose threshold for counting start (percentage of artifacts)
- choose counting time till victory (corresponds to critical score value; a time value is more speaking)

In case of a game-time finish, the highest artifact count wins. In case of even: if there is a counting value, the one with the highest counting wins, otherwise the one with the larges territory.

EDIT:
There is one more option to choose from: '- with or without "fog"'. This actually may be a selection which is done on a previous selection dialog (in a future scenario of GUI design). It could be re-offered on the "Artifacts" selection window though.

Edited: 2016-12-07, 13:45

Top Quote
AlleyJazz
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-12-07, 20:19

tando and I will play friday at 19:00 UTC

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-12-08, 00:20

startiing tomorrow, i will probably unable to use internet until sunday. i won't update the turns and won't answer messages.

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-12-08, 20:51

SirVer and me are going to play sunday at 4 pm CET. Nice spectators are welcome face-smile.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote