Topic: News about AI

Tibor

Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-04, 11:49

GunChleoc wrote:

Yes, we had squashed that bug once.

But is it even possible to conquer a productionsite?????

I had the bug again, now:

Help: I (player 6 / tribe atlanteans) do not know what to do with a barbarians_lumberjacks_hut)

Top Quote
Tibor

Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-05, 11:16

OK, after numerous tweaks the things begin to look more promising:

EDIT:
It is Elven forests map, all barbarians, headquarters

Edited: 2017-05-05, 11:19

Top Quote
Tibor

Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-05, 11:38

As there was a discussion about map Lesser Ring, here is a screenshot after 4 hours - all Atlanteans, headquarters starting condition:

postimage

Obviously players struggled badly to start expanding. All my testing maps are quite fertile so I will probably need to create new one with infertile terrains...

Top Quote
PkK

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-05-06, 19:34

Tibor wrote: Obviously players struggled badly to start expanding. All my testing maps are quite fertile so I will probably need to create new one with infertile terrains...

Why? Did they run into a shortage of building materials? How would they perform with trade outpost?

Philipp

Edited: 2017-05-06, 19:34

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-06, 21:11

Tibor wrote:

GunChleoc wrote:

Yes, we had squashed that bug once.

But is it even possible to conquer a productionsite?????

I had the bug again, now:

Help: I (player 6 / tribe atlanteans) do not know what to do with a barbarians_lumberjacks_hut)

I went through my commit diff again and I added some more log output. The bug is not in the loading of the tribes, so I suspect the bug is somewhere in your own branch, or in trunk already - at least I can't find anything wrong in my branch.

Edited: 2017-05-06, 21:11

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Tibor

Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-07, 20:14

I would say something has changed in the trunk. I am right now running some tests with current trunk (so far no crashes). But if it was already in trunk, it would cause a crash sometimes and this would be noticed and reported by players. Of course without looking at console output, no one would guess what is going on.

Conquering productionsite of other tribe does not make much sense - incompatible inputs or outputs, or even workers. Of course it can be fixed on AI level - AI could just destroy such building, but the issue was not here before....

And human player (if he conquered such building) would notice that he suddenly owns strange/incompatible building and somebody would report it I believe......

Top Quote
Tibor

Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-07, 20:23

PkK wrote:

Tibor wrote: Obviously players struggled badly to start expanding. All my testing maps are quite fertile so I will probably need to create new one with infertile terrains...

Why? Did they run into a shortage of building materials? How would they perform with trade outpost?

Philipp

No, none of AI players got stuck due to shortage of materials, I just mean that more rangers would be welcomed.

If you are using linux, compile the branch and test it. Though changes are still quite big between commits...

Top Quote
PkK

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2017-05-07, 20:57

Tibor wrote:

I would say something has changed in the trunk. I am right now running some tests with current trunk (so far no crashes). But if it was already in trunk, it would cause a crash sometimes and this would be noticed and reported by players. Of course without looking at console output, no one would guess what is going on.

Conquering productionsite of other tribe does not make much sense - incompatible inputs or outputs, or even workers. Of course it can be fixed on AI level - AI could just destroy such building, but the issue was not here before....

And human player (if he conquered such building) would notice that he suddenly owns strange/incompatible building and somebody would report it I believe......

Having a few buildings or workers of other tribes would probably great for scenarios.

Philipp

Top Quote
Tibor

Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-07, 21:09

But what with them? Do I need to produce ware XYZ that has no purpose for me? How would a warehouse cope with such alian workers/wares.

But this is not the topic here, the question is why is it even possible to conquer other tribe productionsite and when it became possible....

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-08, 13:16

Well, the data structure allows it since we merged the tribes in the engine, but all non-military sites should be destroyed anyway when an enemy conquers the territory. There is also a check TribeDescr::has_building() that is used for making sure that there are no nonsense buildings - maybe we missed calling it someplace?

Theoretically, it would also be possible to leave buildings intact if the conquering tribe uses all the input and output wares and workers. I have no idea what that would do for balancing though, so I'd rather not go there right now.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote