Just it is not 100% ready yet face-smile.png

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-25, 10:16

Tibor wrote:

Well, no in-depth analysis is needed here - just overall performance.

Why not? Before you test something, you should know why it's worth to be tested!

E.G pick map, tribe and run two AI-only games for 3 hours with my list and your list and evaluate, findings might be:

• with my list average land was bigger

• with your list 1 of 4 players got stuck, but none with my list

If your lists should just prevent AIs from becomming dead-locked, they should look different... Do you know how or does someone have to tell you?

Then you might decide to tweak your list for better performance.

When I compare trunk vs. my branch I look after overall performance, I dont care about individual buildings, their count and when they were built...

All this testing would take a lot of time so this is why I am not eager to test other variation of lists...

So maybe you should save your time and don't test your lists but different lists? face-wink.png

GunChleoc wrote:

How about having multiple levels of economy, rather than just the basic one? This way we could experiment with multiple stages. If all required buildings have been built for one stage, move on to the next stage. So, the AI could require 1 sawmill in stage 0, but 2 sawmills in stage 3,... of course, this could cause a problem when it's impossible to build all buildings for a stage on the current map, so the rules when to move on should be somewhat relaxed, or be a list of building priorities or some such.

Tibor wrote:

This would be quite different to how AI is built now, basic economy is only a small help when IA should know what buildings to build first and which to avoid on the beginning... As I can see, even for such simple concept it is difficult to find consensus and volunteer testers face-smile.png

It depends what your concept is exactly about. Just avoiding deadlocks? Or a little bit more?

And why is it so hard to find consensus?

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Tibor

Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-25, 11:28

I already spend some time finetuning my lists so I have some confidence in them. You did no testing, so I have no idea if they would work. While working on AI I had so many good ideas and high portion of them just did not work. So I am always sceptical with new ideas.

And avoiding deadlock is bottom line target - would you accept if 10 % of AI players got stuck on the begining?

Also I dont believe in a silver bullets in AI development. I believe performance difference between your and mine lists would be about <5% of teritory growth. I dont know which one would be better, but as I said mine were tested and works...

But if you trust your suggestion that much, spend some 5-10 hours of your spare time and do test them.

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-25, 17:28

I am willing to do some testing but I can´t compile your branch, because I have only 2GB of RAM and the workaround "swapspace" which I used in Ubuntu 16.10 doesn´t work with 17.04 any more face-sad.png

Is there a way how I can get a compiled build (PPA or something) for the branch so I can test the lists?

Top Quote
Tibor

Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-25, 19:09

Nordfriese wrote:

I am willing to do some testing but I can´t compile your branch, because I have only 2GB of RAM and the workaround "swapspace" which I used in Ubuntu 16.10 doesn´t work with 17.04 any more face-sad.png

Is there a way how I can get a compiled build (PPA or something) for the branch so I can test the lists?

Great!

• First you need to reduce number of threads used during compilation. By my old experience, uninstallin ninja would do the trick
  • Second, do you really have no swap? test with 'cat /proc/swaps'

I found these steps how to create swap file on disk:

• sudo fallocate -l 2g /swapfile
  • sudo chmod 600 /swapfile
  • sudo mkswap /swapfile
  • sudo swapon /swapfile

What do you think?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-25, 20:34

I have created a PPA. Once it's finished building, you shoule be able to get it with:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gunchleoc/widelands-ai-test
sudo apt-get update

If you have any other Widelands PPAs (e.g. the daily one), there might be conflicts - you can remove the old PPAs with

sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:widelands-dev/widelands-daily

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Tibor

Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-25, 21:35

@Gun, this is great, thanks

BTW, how frequently it will be recompiled? After each commit to the branch?

Top Quote
Tibor

Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-25, 22:12

@Nordfriese

the output to console is bit verbose and can be usefull for you, you can find there info like:

basic economy not established, 1 buildings still missing, f.e. barbarians_lime_kiln
Player has achieved the basic economy at 001:50:41

Now I see, player number is not there, but I can add it, if this will be useful for you...

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-26, 06:46

Tibor wrote:

BTW, how frequently it will be recompiled? After each commit to the branch?

I have set it to daily, but it's also possible to trigger extra builds manually. More frequent automatic builds are not possible.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Tibor

Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-26, 07:16

Daily is sufficient, thanks

Top Quote