Latest Posts

Topic: News about AI

WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-23, 18:45

Nordfriese wrote:

But I think that some things are pretty obvious! For example that Atlanteans should not give high priorities for a crystal-mine-economy before they have build a good wood economy, a cloth-economy and a tool-economy. (Super rare exception: Maps without cuttable stone, of course)

Or that a lack of a second vineyard can slow down the Empire like hell (especially if it builds a farm, which is usually not really important but costs 2 marble columns)

Or that barbarians will suffer if they don't focus early on tools, or if they use only one wood hardener, or if they might forget hunters/fishers etc. face-wink.png

In my experience, barbarians don´t suffer from having just 1 wood hardener. I only ever build 1 of those in the beginning and my blackwood supply is steady enough (if I give highest priority to logs in the wood hardener).

Are you sure that you build enough buildings? face-wink.png Since especially the military buildings of the barbarians really need tons of blackwood, I cannot imagine how one wood hardener could be enough. I rather made the experience that two wood hardeners are not enough face-wink.png

Also, I think the fernery is pretty important and should be added to their basic economy.

I cannot find out what that is. fernery=reedyard? I think that an early reedyard is only important if you want to build ships early, or if you want to build a lot of ships in a short time, or if you want to build an insanely huge economy in a rather short time face-wink.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Nordfriese
Version: Latest master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-23, 19:09

WorldSavior wrote:

Nordfriese wrote:

But I think that some things are pretty obvious! For example that Atlanteans should not give high priorities for a crystal-mine-economy before they have build a good wood economy, a cloth-economy and a tool-economy. (Super rare exception: Maps without cuttable stone, of course)

Or that a lack of a second vineyard can slow down the Empire like hell (especially if it builds a farm, which is usually not really important but costs 2 marble columns)

Or that barbarians will suffer if they don't focus early on tools, or if they use only one wood hardener, or if they might forget hunters/fishers etc. face-wink.png

In my experience, barbarians don´t suffer from having just 1 wood hardener. I only ever build 1 of those in the beginning and my blackwood supply is steady enough (if I give highest priority to logs in the wood hardener).

Are you sure that you build enough buildings? face-wink.png Since especially the military buildings of the barbarians really need tons of blackwood, I cannot imagine how one wood hardener could be enough. I rather made the experience that two wood hardeners are not enough ;-)

I nearly always beat the AI, so yes, I do think I build lots of military buildings. But I usually play on maps with few trees and infertile ground, so 1 wood hardener matches my log income. But I never run out of blackwood (except for about the first 20 minutes, in which I need especially much for a quick start).

I usually build a warehouse when my territory becomes quite large, and I build 1 wood hardener next to every HQ, warehouse and port.

Also, I think the fernery is pretty important and should be added to their basic economy.

I cannot find out what that is. fernery=reedyard? I think that an early reedyard is only important if you want to build ships early, or if you want to build a lot of ships in a short time, or if you want to build an insanely huge economy in a rather short time ;-)

Yes, I still call the reed yard "fernery". That is what it was called when I started playing Widelands. And I build it for the last reason – I like to start by building a very strong economy, so I like to always have some thatch reed in reserve. The fernery isn´t that expensive, so I can afford it. The first buildings I build are ALWAYS wood hardener – lime kiln – fernery – 2 lumberjacks – 5 rangers – quarry – well.

By the way, why did you suggest 2 hunters and gamekeepers? 1 each is enough in the beginning for me.

Top Quote
Tibor

Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-23, 20:00

I think this should be tested. Pick about three distinct maps, test my lists, some alternative lists, for all three teams and see how they perform. Otherwise it is just guesswork

Top Quote
WorldSavior
Version: Recent tournament version
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-23, 21:10

Nordfriese wrote:

WorldSavior wrote:

Nordfriese wrote:

Are you sure that you build enough buildings? face-wink.png Since especially the military buildings of the barbarians really need tons of blackwood, I cannot imagine how one wood hardener could be enough. I rather made the experience that two wood hardeners are not enough ;-)

I nearly always beat the AI, so yes, I do think I build lots of military buildings.

Well, the AI is not a good benchmark, because it's so pathetic face-wink.png

But I usually play on maps with few trees and infertile ground, so 1 wood hardener matches my log income. But I never run out of blackwood (except for about the first 20 minutes, in which I need especially much for a quick start).

And running out of it slows you down. That should be avoided face-wink.png

I usually build a warehouse when my territory becomes quite large, and I build 1 wood hardener next to every HQ, warehouse and port.

Wow, so sometimes you have a giant number of wood hardeners? Could also be possible to build less face-wink.png

I cannot find out what that is. fernery=reedyard? I think that an early reedyard is only important if you want to build ships early, or if you want to build a lot of ships in a short time, or if you want to build an insanely huge economy in a rather short time ;-)

Yes, I still call the reed yard "fernery". That is what it was called when I started playing Widelands. And I build it for the last reason – I like to start by building a very strong economy, so I like to always have some thatch reed in reserve. The fernery isn´t that expensive, so I can afford it.

That's debatable. It costs 5 wood, and barbarians need tons of wood for buildings, so they need tons of wood in the beginning. And I usually build so many more important buildings in the beginning that the HQ cannot put all those wares outside at the same time. So building the reedyard can block you a little bit...

The first buildings I build are ALWAYS wood hardener – lime kiln – fernery – 2 lumberjacks – 5 rangers – quarry – well.

2 lumberjacks? I really recommend you to build much more. 5 are not even enough, maybe not enough by far face-wink.png And 2 quarries should be the minimum...

Well, a tribe can only be as strong as the weakest part of it. And I think that 2 lumberjacks form a very weak wood industry, so your whole tribe might be very weak, if my theory is right face-wink.png

By the way, why did you suggest 2 hunters and gamekeepers? 1 each is enough in the beginning for me.

Because barbarians usually start with at least two mines (or much more). And each mine needs one gamekeeper, so here you go face-wink.png

Tibor wrote:

I think this should be tested.

Yes, improving of the AI needs testing, for sure. But I would be bad at that, I can only watch matches of the current AI and analyse them. Okay, I think I'm not that bad at analysing those matches, but I cannot really test new AI branches face-wink.png

Pick about three distinct maps

Crater, Full Moon, The Nile face-wink.png

, test my lists, some alternative lists, for all three teams and see how they perform. Otherwise it is just guesswork

Well, I'm pretty sure about the way how the AI should play, for example: Crystal mines should be build only when they are needed (that's usually quite late)

But I don't know so well how this can be implemented face-wink.png

And of course: Even if the basic economy will be perfect, the other parts of the economy can spoil the whole tribe. So you could only judge which basic economy is the best if the rest of the AI is perfect, right? Complicated. face-wink.png

Wanted to save the world, then I got widetracked

Top Quote
Tibor

Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-24, 06:09

Well, no in-depth analysis is needed here - just overall performance. E.G pick map, tribe and run two AI-only games for 3 hours with my list and your list and evaluate, findings might be:

• with my list average land was bigger
  • with your list 1 of 4 players got stuck, but none with my list

Then you might decide to tweak your list for better performance.

When I compare trunk vs. my branch I look after overall performance, I dont care about individual buildings, their count and when they were built...

All this testing would take a lot of time so this is why I am not eager to test other variation of lists...

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-24, 13:44

How about having multiple levels of economy, rather than just the basic one? This way we could experiment with multiple stages. If all required buildings have been built for one stage, move on to the next stage. So, the AI could require 1 sawmill in stage 0, but 2 sawmills in stage 3,... of course, this could cause a problem when it's impossible to build all buildings for a stage on the current map, so the rules when to move on should be somewhat relaxed, or be a list of building priorities or some such.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Tibor

Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-24, 15:28

This would be quite different to how AI is built now, basic economy is only a small help when IA should know what buildings to build first and which to avoid on the beginning... As I can see, even for such simple concept it is difficult to find consensus and volunteer testers face-smile.png

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-24, 17:03

Well, it's just an idea - I don't know that much about the AI code. If it doesn't work for you, forget that I said anything face-smile.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Tibor

Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-25, 07:23

I think it is too much work and too unsure result. Moreover I would be really glad if I could finalize what I have now and offer it for review

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2017-05-25, 07:41

Yep, you've been working on it for a long time. I'll see what I can do about testing.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote