Currently Online

Latest Posts

Topic: Barbarians fully trained soldiers

egg

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-10-03, 11:59

I've been playing Widelands for years, but find it difficult to get a soldier fully trained in the training camp. By stopping the camp, I can wait until it is fully stocked (axes, food, helmets, etc.), but on restarting, the soldiers leave before training is complete. An allied problem is that sharp axes are needed in the training camp, but if the axe factory is running, the sharp axes are used to increase the number of untrained soldiers, taking away resources. What have I missed?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-10-03, 16:03

The best way to control is to restrict the number of soldiers in the training sites and also the wares queue, and starting and stopping.... it takes quite a bit of micromanagement.

It will get easier in Build 20 where we will have a Barracks to train soldiers, so you can control more easily how many wares are used for new soldiers.

Edited: 2016-10-03, 16:16

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-10-03, 18:08

stopping the camp works perfectly as long as you only have 1 soldier in it. that way, the camp can only promote that one soldier fully. I even wrote a guide on how to do it, but I have no idea where to find it. if you have many soldiers inside, it will start with the lower promotions for everyone, which is bad.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-10-03, 19:44

king_of_nowhere wrote:

stopping the camp works perfectly as long as you only have 1 soldier in it. that way, the camp can only promote that one soldier fully. I even wrote a guide on how to do it, but I have no idea where to find it. if you have many soldiers inside, it will start with the lower promotions for everyone, which is bad.

I've just searched for 'promoted soldier' and found this post face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-10-03, 19:57

I have just had an idea: reversing the order of the production programs in the trainingsites configuration should help.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-10-03, 22:34

king_of_nowhere wrote:

(...) I even wrote a guide on how to do it, but I have no idea where to find it.

I am not sure if it will help, but one of the chapters here is yours work too face-wink.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
egg

Topic Opener
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2016-10-04, 09:41

I should have explained that stopping the camp was just a test to see how it would work if there were no shortages. Restricting the number of soldiers in the camp seems to work: thanks for that tip. It occurs to me that if:- the War Mill could not make sharp axes; the training camp didn't need sharp axes; then soldier population could be controlled by stopping and starting the axe factory. The training camp shouldn't need sharp axes anyway, as every soldier has one already.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-10-04, 18:07

egg wrote:

I should have explained that stopping the camp was just a test to see how it would work if there were no shortages. Restricting the number of soldiers in the camp seems to work: thanks for that tip. It occurs to me that if:- the War Mill could not make sharp axes; the training camp didn't need sharp axes; then soldier population could be controlled by stopping and starting the axe factory. The training camp shouldn't need sharp axes anyway, as every soldier has one already.

to stop new soldiers from being made, you should stop the battle arena. that's what keeps asking for new soldiers over and over.

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2016-11-06, 11:29

Would it be better, if the training sites would discard soldiers less eagerly in case of resource shortage?

Would it be better, if it was possible to make the trainingscamp/dungeon accept only soldiers that have already been trained in (battle)arena/labyrinth, or would that make the game too straightforward?

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-11-06, 12:43

teppo wrote:

Would it be better, if the training sites would discard soldiers less eagerly in case of resource shortage?

it already does. it is much easier to get a fully promoted soldier than it was in build 18.

Would it be better, if it was possible to make the trainingscamp/dungeon accept only soldiers that have already been trained in (battle)arena/labyrinth, or would that make the game too straightforward?

I pproposed that as a micromanaging system to code in the AI to help it. So yeah, it would be more efficient, but I fear that it would really make the game too strighforward.

Top Quote