Latest Posts

Topic: military caveats

Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-03-07, 21:50

I am not quite sure with this and would ask somebody else to try.

There seems to be a logical deadlock in the game, currently as a side effect from the "on-demand" feature:

You are tempted to not fill your miltary buildings completely, because only the soldiers that are not on duty there are eligible for training.

Once you have soldiers in the storage house, that are not assigned, the economy has no need for additional armour and weapons to equip new soldiers. So no such wares are produced and no new soldiers recruited.

You need to manually adjust the minimum storage reguired for these things, to keep recruiting going, and to ever fill up your military building completely.

Not sure about the best remedy... Maybe a default recruitment rate would be good.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
sigra

Ranking
At home in WL-forums
Posted at: 2009-03-07, 22:27

The target quantity for any ware type can not be set to less than 1. So everything will be produced until there is at least 1 in storage. And a soldier does not need more than 1 of each ware type to be produced. So there should not be any deadlock like that.

Previously there could be the problem that a soldier required 2 different materials (1 weapon and 1 shield) and they were stored in different warehouses. That would give such a deadlock. But that problem is supposed to have been fixed by dwarik shortly before build13.

(It is possible to set a default target quantity other than one by adding a line like

default_target_quantity=5

to the ware type's conf-file.)

Top Quote
Astuur
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2009-03-08, 10:50

sigra wrote: The target quantity for any ware type can not be set to less than 1. So everything will be produced until there is at least 1 in storage. And a soldier does not need more than 1 of each ware type to be produced. So there should not be any deadlock like that.

Maybe my reasoning is too speculative. My obsevation is: (svn3672) the economy does not produce any more soldiers as long as I do not create a need for them (new military buildings, or existing ones unsatified). It may well be "as designed" after all, but in a situation where those soldiers inside fortresses etc. do not get trained, this seems counterproductive.

On a side note, I think that weak soldiers should automatically be called for training not only from storage houses, but from all military buildings as well.

Previously there could be the problem that a soldier required 2 different materials (1 weapon and 1 shield) and they were stored in different warehouses. That would give such a deadlock. But that problem is supposed to have been fixed by dwarik shortly before build13.

I dont think this is realated. That one seems fixed.

(It is possible to set a default target quantity other than one by adding a line like default_target_quantity=5 to the ware type's conf-file.)

Good to know! I will experiment with this.

Being no programmer, I apologize for all my suggestions that imply undue workload and for other misjudgements due to lack of expertise or relevant skills.
I am on Win32, have no means to compile, and rely on prefabricated distributions (Thanks to Tino).

Top Quote
kolober
Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-03-10, 04:10

I have also experienced this problem. The only way to produce more soldiers is to build way more fortresses than you really need, fill them up, then send them all back to the warehouse when you have traning camps built.

I would liken to see soldiers recruited as soon as there is the minimum necessary ware to produce it (i.e. a sword) and for production of weapons to continue as long as the weaponsmith is working and has minerals in stock.

I hied to Kolob and all I got was this lousy planet.

Top Quote
madtumat

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2009-03-10, 05:36

I don't seem to have this problem anymore. I worked to find a way around the computer player NOT building soldiers using the config files. I created a ware I call RECRUIT. The recruiter gets a poor citizen drunk, carries him off as a ware to headquarters or a warehouse, and when the poor guy wakes up, he is a soldier. This does several things useful for me. 1. The computer player builds new soldiers, but it still won't train them. 2. I control whether or not I want to build soldiers. I can simply turn off the recruit depot if I have enough recruits to suit my purposes. 3. When a space is available in one of my training buildings, a recruit automatically becomes a soldier and heads to the training facility.

I make sure the recruiting process is a bit costly. I make the cost lower for my computer tribes so that they are a bit harder to defeat.

The system isn't perfect, but it works better for ME than the system in place before I changed it (I like being able to customize things!!!). If the enemy has a soldier on the doorstep of the headquarters at a moment between the last defeated soldier at the door and creation of a new one, the building is defeated even if there are 1000 recruits inside. Of course, this means you want recruit depots scattered around your landscape.

One thing I wish to find a way to work around is NOT having my soldiers being able to do work, like scouting, from within a military building. In build 12, I could build my scout, find the enemy, and then attack them from afar. I really liked that feature. Now I can pretty much only attack when my border is right next to the enemies'. This slows the game down big time. Being able to find the enemy and launch attacks before being found is fun and good tactics! I can build a scout hut next to some military building, find the enemy, and still attack if the enemy is close. I liked being able to attack from, oh, 50-75 radius! Now defense is a different story. I do not think defense should extend to far beyond friendly borders.

Ok, off to see what new stuff I can configure!

Maddy

Top Quote