Latest Posts

Topic: ai doesn't make as many buildings as before

king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-04-21, 19:10

Something I noticed a while back, but assumed it must be an isolated case for a while; until a few months ago, when given a large land, ai would fill it out with buildings. Now, after a while it stops. most of its land remain empty, unused. It seems like there is some command "expand until you reach a target number of buildings, then stop". Obviously, it is better to have a bigger economy if possible. So what's happening?

Of course I0m not playing with a difficulty level where such limits are acctually implemented.

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-04-21, 19:54

You are talking about productionsites, I presume. Well look at the issue from other end - can you identify productionsite that is needed, but not built?

Definitely, there is no hardlimit for productionsites, all should be decided by utilization of existing ones...

EDIT: Also AI behaves differently if it there is an enemy nearby - it is more willing to build new productionsties

Edited: 2016-04-21, 20:09

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-04-22, 08:54

I looked at target quantities because it seemed to me that there can be some relation, and I found a small bug or bad design.

If ware has no target quantities set in init.lua, f.e.:

default_target_quantity = {},

it is resolved to 254. F.e. water. It misleads the AI, should not it be set to 0? Or is it not meant that 'no default = 0'?

EDIT:

so it seems there is constant kInvalidWare = 254 and it is returned when ware is invalid for tribe as well as when default target is not set in init.lua ....

Edited: 2016-04-22, 09:25

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-04-22, 09:26

Tibor wrote:

You are talking about productionsites, I presume. Well look at the issue from other end - can you identify productionsite that is needed, but not built?

Definitely, there is no hardlimit for productionsites, all should be decided by utilization of existing ones...

EDIT: Also AI behaves differently if it there is an enemy nearby - it is more willing to build new productionsties

well, you can never have enough economy. while the ai with enough space and time will manage to build a healty economy, a bigger economy would be better in any case.

EDIT: and I distinctly remember than it did use to fill all the space, like, 9 months ago. when I was playing "the big escape", around the time when I posted it, the ai always used up all its land.

Edited: 2016-04-22, 09:34

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-04-22, 09:34

king_of_nowhere wrote:

Tibor wrote:

well, you can never have enough economy. while the ai with enough space and time will manage to build a healty economy, a bigger economy would be better in any case.

But generally AI has to pick whether to expanse or built an economy, because sources are limited. But I am aware that the algorithm controlling territory expansion vs economy expansion is not very good, I am willing to look at it but no before build19. Any such change needs time to be tested.

But for now I will look at that default targets issue, it seem to be "nondisruptive" change and low-hanging fruit.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-04-22, 09:37

Tibor wrote:

king_of_nowhere wrote:

Tibor wrote:

But generally AI has to pick whether to expanse or built an economy, because sources are limited. But I am aware that the algorithm controlling territory expansion vs economy expansion is not very good, I am willing to look at it but no before build19. Any such change needs time to be tested.

But for now I will look at that default targets issue, it seem to be "nondisruptive" change and low-hanging fruit.

the ai already expanded on all the space it had.

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-04-22, 09:39

king_of_nowhere wrote:

Oh, ok then. It has no place to expand but still not building economy? Did it have a lot of unfinished buildings or shortage of some materials?

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-04-22, 18:31

Tibor wrote:

king_of_nowhere wrote:

Oh, ok then. It has no place to expand but still not building economy? Did it have a lot of unfinished buildings or shortage of some materials?

I can't say that for sure because i didn't set the game on "all explored". I previously played the same map and found the same behavior, but I just assumed it to be an isolated case at the time. But in this case, I can only see that the number of buildings of the AI reached a peak 6 hours ago, then it decreased; while land size kept growing up to 4 hours ago. My scouts can see several patches of unused terrain, and though the ai has many buildings (some 260) I know more could be made with that land. The previous time when I played the same map with all the map explored I could see clearly that the AI only used maybe one third of its terrain. That time it was playing barbarians, this time empire, so it's not strictly tribe-related.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-04-22, 19:27

Tibor wrote:

I looked at target quantities because it seemed to me that there can be some relation, and I found a small bug or bad design.

it is resolved to 254. F.e. water. It misleads the AI, should not it be set to 0? Or is it not meant that 'no default = 0'?

EDIT:

so it seems there is constant kInvalidWare = 254 and it is returned when ware is invalid for tribe as well as when default target is not set in init.lua ....

This was introduced with bug: Buildings produce more than set in "configure economy". If we set "default_target_quantity" to zero, the icons in configure economy menu appears again...

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-04-22, 19:50

kaputtnik wrote:

Tibor wrote:

EDIT:

This was introduced with bug: Buildings produce more than set in "configure economy". If we set "default_target_quantity" to zero, the icons in configure economy menu appears again...

I already have a workaround, I will test it a bit and propose for merging afterwards...

EDIT:

The workaround is that when value will be kInvalidWare, it will be set to 5, I mean internally, for AI only

Edited: 2016-04-22, 19:57

Top Quote