Latest Posts

Topic: Soldiers behaviour

hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-02-04, 20:17

Since a couple of trunk builds I noticed a different behaviour of attacking soldiers. In the past they went "home" if their life points were down to a certain level after having killed an opponent. In the latest trunks they stay near the building to attack just to get slaughtered by the defending soldiers. Is this intentional? Personally I liked the old behaviour because you don't loose your whole attack party when running into a massive counterattack.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-02-05, 09:10

We tried to fix soldiers being stuck on their way home recently, maybe this introduced a new bug.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-02-14, 19:14

Thanks for the information. I hope somebody could look into this. Anyhow I found another behavioural change in the "automatic" functions of a player. Recently I noticed that a workers place in a new built mine will only be occupied by exactly a miner with the requested level. This means that a mine where for example a level 2 miner is missing is not occupied although there are some level 3 miners available in the warehouse. In the past a free level 3 miner did occupy any "employment" possible. A level 2 miner did occupy any open level 1 or level 2 working place. Again my questin is this intentional. If yes I'd like to suggest to go back to the old behaviour, because currently you collect level 3 miners in your warehouse. (in my game I had 18 level 3 miners in the warehouses and 5 mines not occupied). If this is not intentional. perhaps It would be better to move this thread to technical help and probably open a bug report.

regards hessenfarmer

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-02-14, 19:56

the thing with the miners is not intentional. while it is good that the system prioritizes using the lowest possible available miner for the place, it makes no sense to not send the level 3 out to fill a level 2 spot if no level 2 is available.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-02-14, 22:10

The thing with the miners is definitely a bug.

I created a bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1545647

Edited: 2016-02-15, 09:41

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-03-05, 21:13

hello everybody I just noticed that in trunk 7852 which I#m currently running the Miners issue seems to be not htere anymore. This is somewhat funny as gunChleocs fix to the attached bug was introduced later than 7852. This is why i'm not sure anymore if this malbehaviour was only in one badly build trunk and not in the code itself. So as I cannot comment directly on launchpad, could anybody please check whether there was a real bug or just some spurious behaviour. Anyhow what is really annoying while playing is the odd n ew soldiers behaviour not returning to base anymore if seriously wounded. I still have to check whether this behaviour is only valid for a human player and not for AI which would worsen the situation. But please could anybody look in this issue? Thanks a lot hessenfarmer

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-03-05, 22:09

Anyhow what is really annoying while playing is the odd n ew soldiers behaviour not returning to base anymore if seriously wounded

As know this behavior was ever. A wounded soldier come back to his military building and stays there. He walks never back to a warehouse or to the headquarter.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-03-06, 10:17

Perhaps I was somewhat unprecise. The problem is in fact that they are not returning to their military building. They just keep attacking until they are finally killed. Even with no visible health bar they do not return. This is really annoying when you loose a fully trained babarian fighter due to this behaviour.

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-03-06, 23:46

it can happen if enemy soldiers are very close. a wounded soldier will attempt to return to base, but if an enemy soldier is in an adjacent corner and waiting its turn to fight when the wounded soldier kills its last opponent, it can force the wounded soldier into a new fight even if it would prefer to retreat. that's how even fully trained soldiers, when attacking, sometimes are swarmed by large groups of weaker soldiers. So it's not a bug, it's a feature - at least if that's what's happening.

the way to save your stronger soldier is to launch a well-timed second attack with one soldier. if done in the right time, all the enemy soldiers - who were surrounding your trained soldier, preventing it from escaping - will move to intercept the new attack. they will move away from the trained soldier, who will be able to retreat. and you'll end up losing one single untrained soldier for five or six enemy ones.

Top Quote
hessenfarmer
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-03-07, 20:08

the behaviour that king of nowhere is describing is and was well known to me. But the current (trunk7852) behaviour that I'm describing, is that the soldier isn't trying to retreat at all. Even after having caught too much damage he is still trying to attack the next enemy until getting finally killed.

Top Quote