Latest Posts

Topic: New resource indicators

Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-13, 08:00

kaputtnik wrote:

Different types of terrains have different default amount of water. F.e.

Yes, we can tie the yield from empty well to default_resource_amount as configured in those lua files.

Highest default_resource_amount is 10 so this could match to current 65%.

When I create maps I always give enough water, and now I found that it is just not necessary....

But if we should stay with current system, I would vote for compromise - 30%

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-13, 08:16

See also the bug No way to remove default resources in the editor

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-13, 08:30

Do you feel a need for "no resource" option in editor? Something like another type of resource, only intended to overlay a default?

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Topic Opener
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-13, 09:15

I think the problem is that the default resources aren't shown in the editor and therefor the map maker doesn't know this. That causes actions like:

When I create maps I always give enough water, and now I found that it is just not necessary....

Water terrains have always a default amount of fish. So it is not possible to have a "dead" lake on a map. A mapmaker without knowledge of the internal "default" values for resources may think "If i place no fish, there will be no fish during game play".

einstein13 wrote:

But I think that there should be a bunch of terrain types where wells can have less than 25% efficiency. like some kind of deserts and dry soils.

Most of the desert terrains have no default resource, so they have no water.

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-13, 09:46

I see this is a bunch of related issues

A geologist when looking for water recognizes only manually allocated resources or also these default per terrain?

Currently wells / mines are able to produce their defaults (65% or 5%) regardless of if they stay on a terrain that provides their kind of material. This might be changed as well. If there was a consensus on this...

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2016-01-13, 10:07

We recently gave every terrain type a humidity (0-100); maybe we should use that (possibly with some changes) for empty well success rate? After all, there's a reason that some terrain is grass and some is desert.

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-13, 10:13

DragonAtma wrote:

We recently gave every terrain type a humidity (0-100); maybe we should use that (possibly with some changes) for empty well success rate? After all, there's a reason that some terrain is grass and some is desert.

This is very good idea - and logical. Only issue here is that the code is the same for mines and wells so it would need small exception in the code here - but it is doable...

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-13, 11:51

A geologist when looking for water recognizes only manually allocated resources or also these default per terrain?

also default. That was with build17 for sure.

When I was making The Nile (1st) map, I've found that in some places, where I didn't place any water, geologist said "Hey! I've found a water!"

And to bug-related discussion (this old one): Should we make a "0 resource" icon? Because now we have icon for small, medium and huge amount of resources. If we want to add "0 resources" on editor, then the map contain default amount of resources (or not?), but on editor there is no difference between default and 0 resources. There is no icon at all.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-13, 13:28

As already stated, wells act like mines currently, so we would need an engine change to tie depletion and chance to the terrain type.

kaputtnik wrote:

I think the problem is that the default resources aren't shown in the editor and therefor the map maker doesn't know this. That causes actions like:

This could be fixed by adding resource information to the editor help.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2016-01-13, 13:56

DragonAtma wrote:

I like the idea. But it needs to be adjusted in some way: wasteland terrains have all very low humidity (20-30% for the main terrains, less for others), so in wastelands getting enough water would become a real problem. Ideally, we'd want wells to not work at all if humidity is lower than 10% (desert), but to reach at least 40% on wasteland terrains. Also, wells could have a working radius around them, and take the average humidity of the surrounding terrain. that way, a well near a lake would realistically have a higher yield. In that case, water resources may become redundant and be eliminated, or they may be a "storage" that allows the welll to work at 100% for a while, or they may influence the percentages.

But all this would require a lot of coding, so I suggest that it is postponed to build 20. Also, most players would never even realize the subtlety of that eventual well algorithm.

Top Quote