Latest Posts

Topic: Out of rocks/stones?

GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-04-05, 10:40

Shall we go for "Limestone" and "Limestone Mine" then and do away with all "granite" references? We then will have:

• Rocks

• Atlanteans: Quarry -> Limestone
    • Barbarians: Quarry -> Limestone
    • Empire: Quarry -> Limestone, Marble
  • Stones

• Atlanteans: Crystal Mine -> Limestone, Quartz, Diamond
    • Barbarians: Limestone Mine -> Limestone
    • Empire: Marble Mine -> Limestone, Marble

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-04-05, 19:50

GunChleoc wrote:

Shall we go for "Limestone" and "Limestone Mine" then and do away with all "granite" references? We then will have:

• Stones

What about more general term "stone mine"?

(It is only question!)

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-04-05, 22:29

einstein13 wrote:

What about more general term "stone mine"?

(It is only question!)

We would then lose some flavour for the 3 tribes - at the moment, we have granite, marble and crystal mines. I think the distinction is important, so that the player will understand they they produce different wares.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-04-05, 23:12

"Stone Mine" is certainly doable, but when people see "stone" without any adjectives, they usually think of ordinary rocks, not fancy ones (like marble) or minerals (like quartz and uncut diamonds). So my suggestion is going with "stone mine" for barbarians, "marble mine" for Empire (as only they recognize marble as a fancy stone), and "gem mine" for atlanteans (as only they work with diamonds and quartz). I also recommend having the tutorials for empire and atlanteans point out that although they're mining marble or diamonds, the mine also produces perfectly good stone for building.

-=-=-

On a side note, I want to point out something unrelated (and blame Dwarf Fortress's accuracy!). Diamonds are almost always found in one of two types of igneous rock (kimberlite and lamproite, to be precise). Marble is a metamorphic rock, while limestone is a sedimentary rock. Normally, none of the the three are near each other, so technically they should not be at the same mine (at least on Earth). Of course, the rule of fun should always defeat the rule of realism, but I thought it'd be best to point that out.

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-04-06, 08:34

GunChleoc wrote:

• Rocks

• Atlanteans: Quarry -> Limestone
    • Barbarians: Quarry -> Limestone
    • Empire: Quarry -> Limestone, Marble
  • Stones

Changing the headers and replace "Limestone" with "Stone" for empire:

• Quarrys

• Atlanteans: Limestone
    • Barbarians: Limestone
    • Empire: Stone, Marble
  • Mines

• Empire: Marble Mine -> Stone, Marble

Wouldn't this be better?

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-04-06, 09:22

If we do this, Empire won't be able to trade stone with the other two tribes who will have limestone. The ware needs to be identical.

Since quartz and diamonds are both crystals, I think we can keep the Crystal Mine name. This maybe will help point out that WINR (Widelands Is Not Realistic, I stile this acronym from Wesnoth face-smile-big.png after all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal

Edited: 2015-04-06, 09:25

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-04-06, 16:57

WINR... you have a point there.

And you could always have it be the same ware (and same icon) for all three, but a different name for different tribes. A button and a schaltfläche are the same thing, even if the americans and the germans use different terms for it. face-wink.png

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-04-06, 17:08

GunChleoc wrote:

If we do this, Empire won't be able to trade stone with the other two tribes who will have limestone. The ware needs to be identical.

Ok face-smile.png The WINR takes it all face-grin.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-04-07, 11:51

DragonAtma wrote:

And you could always have it be the same ware (and same icon) for all three, but a different name for different tribes. A button and a schaltfläche are the same thing, even if the americans and the germans use different terms for it. face-wink.png

We are doing this for buildings, but this won't be possible for the wares in the future - we will make as many wares as possible identical for the three tribes, so we will be able to add trade to the game in a way that makes sense. This will include the basic stone and log resources.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Venatrix
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-04-07, 20:12

Well… I was thinking about this topic for a while and still have no real idea how to handle it. My first proposal would be to call the basic stone ware neither granite nor limestone, just "stone" and rename the mountain rocks to… well… and here’s the problem.

In German I originally wanted to go for "Felsgestein" in the mountains to mine from and "Felsen" to quarry from. Trouble is the translation… I don’t really know the differences of the terms that dictionary is proposing, so I can’t say, which would fit best. OTOH do we really have to make a difference, whether a mine or a quarry cuts the stone? Can’t it all be from rocks?

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote