Latest Posts

Topic: Use of the same punctuation in the translation?

Venatrix
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-16, 22:17

Hi, short question: Shall we keep the same punctuation in the translation as in the original?

The reason I ask are two strings in the Dummy Scenario:
„Not yet implemented“
„Sorry, this map is not yet implemented.“

In German both of them got an exclamation mark, not sure why. I wouldn’t mind changing it more to the original (I feel it fits better), but they’re already marked as reviewed, so i’m a bit hesitant about changing those strings…

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-16, 22:30

I do not know who marked them as reviewed. I do not like the exclamation mark there (I do not like being yelled at face-wink.png )

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-16, 23:06

I have given you reviewer power, so you can change reviewed strings.

We will need to do some organizing in Transifex and assign more reviewers in general and find language coordinators.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-16, 23:16

Reviewing would be nice, but the question that is still unsolved is: How do translators inform reviewers that they have suggested a better string? I have not yet found a way how I can filter for these cases.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-17, 07:47

You cannot inform them really. You might open an issue, but I haven't found a way to list all issues so that you can click on them either. Transifex assumes that if a string is reviewed that people won't really want to change it anymore, although a reviewer can still edit it or bump it back to unreviewed. So, if you wish to use a review process, I think this is the best way to go about it: only mark strings as reviewed when you have double-checked them carefully, and if you come across a reviewed string that you think needs further discussion, unreview it. Of course, translators without reviewer powers won't be able to unreview a string, so they will need to use a different means of catching reviewers' attention.

How about a thread in this forum called "German translation issues" where everybody posts strings to look at? You could also link this thread on the Wiki. For discussing a particular string, you can link to individual entries on Transifex - just get it in the editor and then copy it fro the browser's address bar, like this: https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/widelands/translate/#de/scenario_emp01/40698817?q=barbarian

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
Venatrix
Topic Opener
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-18, 10:27

GunChleoc wrote:

I have given you reviewer power, so you can change reviewed strings.

Thanks, though I had hoped to not have this kind of responsibility. face-wink.png

Two is the oddest prime.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-18, 19:15

Nobody is forcing you to set anything on reviewed, but if you spot a mistake in an already reviewed string, you can do something about it face-smile.png

Unlike on Launchpad, if you're a reviewer, this doesn't mean that all your translations are automatically considered reviewed.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote