Latest Posts

Topic: bzr7402 bugs and thoughts

einstein13
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-14, 23:42

Today I've downloaded from Tino's page (thanks to him!) latest windows build. Installed on my Windows7, 64-bit. I've noticed some features and bugs.

Maybe I will start from the "happy" part:

• Terrain afinity for trees is much better
  • Tibor AI merged! (Very happy!)
  • Automated savegames are splitted into several files (more than 1)

But after some happy things I've noticed some bugs:

• Ships with expedition are allowed to send, but not to controle during the trip
  • Empire barracks have changed radius
  • Replay file has only 15 (?) minutes of recorded play
  • New kaputtnik roads for Empire are broken
  • Editor: <parent directory> is broken

1 Expeditions:

Probably https://wl.widelands.org/forum/topic/1655/ is the right topic for that. I can see that ships are going through the water (I've sent them across the sea), and they had all buttons (go right/ left/ up-right/ up-left/ down-right/ down-left), but clicking didn't work at all!

2 Barracks:

Before some bzr73xx and with build-18 barracks for empire have one unit smaller radius than the sentry. Now the radius for barracks and for sentry is the same. I remember last game for tournament I've participated with (Whynstein vs Tulips, replay: http://www.widelands.org/~hanna/wl/tournament2015/Replays/), where me and my teammate had some small problems because of that. I wanted to keep my territory by building the smalles building I have, but I coudn't have less. There were no other space that matches (to have the goal), because the map is quite small and have lots of slopes -> no space for building. For me it was horrible that I coudn't build "weaker" building than sentry.

3 Replays

Today I've played for some time (with AI, single player, Colonies map). It took several hours to expand a bit (my lazy strategy) and I wanted to see the enemy's empires. It failed: after about 15 minutes or something like that the replay suddenly ended. In my oppinion it is connected to different savefiles, but it is only a hypothesis face-smile.png

4 Broken roads

Broken roads image

Only small roads (whitout a donkey) and only for Empire have broken pictures. I really don't know why. It is possible that my graphics device is a bit broken, but it should be tested by someone else.

5 Editor: <parent directory>

When you have a folder in .widelands/maps/ directory and go into the folder, you can't go out. <parent directory> button doesn't work any more.

6 Small bugs when fighting

I've also noticed that there are some bugs when soldiers are attacking. It is very hard to reproduce, because not always they happen. I've noticed that:

• The attacked military building stays empty and all soldiers are defending OUTSIDE the building. For example there is: "Tower 0 soldiers (+5)", all soldiers outside, one enemy soldier win the tower without any fight. Once I've lost the battle because of that.
  • When the fight is in the front of the military building, there should be 1 soldier defending and 1 attacking. I've noticed, that there are 2 fights at once: 2 soldiers attacking and 2 defending. Both in the same place! Probably it is connected to the next one:
  • When f.e. I am attacking the enemy my soldier is going to the enemy's territory, fighting and when he has small amount of hit points- go back to my territory. It happens that one of enemy's soldiers is trying to catch my soldier, he is running to my territory, go to the military building and wait in front of it. Then my soldier (who just came to the military building) go outside and fight. Usually loose. Is it a feature or a bug?

For sure second issue is on the replay of Whynstein vs Tulips tournament game.

Please tell me about all the issues if they are really bugs or features.

Also you may ask about my graphics device. I am playing Widelands on my Virtual Machine. Major machine is Windows 7, 64 bit (clean system), then VMware player 7.0, then Windows 7, 64 bit. All devices are installed and up to date. I've tested experience-index (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-experience-index) to see if Windows can see any problem there. And graphics has 5.4 (on major system it is 6.6), so probably it is not a problem here. If you ask why I keep Widelands on virtual machine? I have all the games there. One single file for lots of old/ not demanding games. Or... I also have some demanding (with 3D rendering!) games and they work well.

EDIT: Editor <parent directory> added

Edited: 2015-02-15, 03:40

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 09:47

1) This is a regression that tibor fixed in his latest AI branch.

2) The barracks and sentry conquer radius have not changed since 2010 - I just checked the bzr blame output.

3) Not sure I understand this, but if you believe it is a bug, please report with a repro case.

4) This is ugly concept graphics I added into the game - it is ugly so that people will go ahead and fix it. next time i'll write "replace me" in the graphic, it has been reported at least 3 times as bug already :).

Top Quote
kaputtnik
Version: current master
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 11:02

New kaputtnik roads for Empire are broken

Next week i provide more roads to each tribe face-smile.png

Fight simulator for Widelands:
https://wide-fighter.netlify.app/

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 11:15

5) Does this happen when loading or saving a map, or both?

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
teppo

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 13:18

6) I am not sure if this is a bug or feature, but I agree that the defending soldiers should not flee from the building they are defending, or at least it should not be possible to conquer that building before they all have lost. Being outside has the handicap that the soldiers might have trouble getting back in when injured, as the door is crowded.

If soldiers from nearby buildings come to help with the defense, then I think that it is OK if they fight simultaneously (6b)

Top Quote
einstein13
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 13:53

GunChleoc wrote:

5) Does this happen when loading or saving a map, or both?

Both (just tested).

SirVer wrote:

2) The barracks and sentry conquer radius have not changed since 2010 - I just checked the bzr blame output.

image here

The barracks should have radius = 5 units and the image of "dots" should be like outpust "dots": blue dots with red circles around. -> That was in build 18.

Edited: 2015-02-15, 15:06

einstein13

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 14:45

2) Both the barracks and the sentry have always had a radius of 6 (I checked build 17 and build 18). You must misremember.

3) I cannot reproduce.

4) SirVer, did you notice that the roads change the appearance sometimes (when the main view is moved over the origin maybe)? Seems like a bug.

5) Also a problem when starting a new game and you go into Multiplayers.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
einstein13
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 15:08

wl-zocker wrote:

2) Both the barracks and the sentry have always had a radius of 6 (I checked build 17 and build 18). You must misremember.

Ok, I'm very sorry! You're right. The correct radius is the same. I really don't know why I thought that there should be a smaller radius like with outpust -> barrier. Next time I will check everything one more time face-wink.png

3) I cannot reproduce.

I will try to catch the moment in screenshot. Give me some time face-tongue.png

6) (soldiers, attack, defense):

image here

Here: Red attack green (and yes, it is after green attacked red with succes).

My teammate was attacked. First wave of soldiers almost killed his troops. Next wave of attack was going when all the soldiers were inside the fortress, but still some of enemy's soldiers knocking to the door face-smile.png When next wave came (the moment is on the screenshot), all the soldiers (except 1) went out from the fortress. Most of them were very damaged. Soldier with number 1 on the screenshot has ~1 HP and went out from the fortress to defend it. Second one (2) has ~3 HP and that is the beggining of the battle. My question is: what is the rule for going out/ staying inside the military building when defending? I could see that fully HP soldiers stayed inside the military building when enemy is attacking. In most of cases when the enemy is attacking by waves and there is already a battle on the front of the building, all the soldiers stay inside. Here is different behaviour.

EDIT: Ok, I've realized that the moment here (when soldiers are going out) can be connected to the attacking the enemy as a defense. I'm not sure now. But the question about what is the rule for going out/ staying inside while defending exists.

Posted at 2015-15-02 16:51 CET

6) a.

0 (+2) soldiers

To "produce" the bug 6) a. I've watched the replay from my last tournament game. Now it is showed on the screenshot. Next soldier will go inside without any fight. Awful face-tongue.png (there are some troops comming)

6) c.

defending on distant place

The vision range is "green + yellow vision range" (team). This soldier is far away from that range. He is trying to kill blue one. This furious can kill him face-tongue.png For me it is a bug, but it may be a feature face-wink.png

Posted at 2015-15-02 17:31 CET

Some other soldiers problems (let's say it is "6) d."):

waiting soldiers

Green soldiers are attacking blue. There is a queue to the barrier, but noone can go inside because of battle on the door (normal behaviour). Blue just came back from the attack, also some of them were fighting on the defense. But what is going on the queue?

1. Green soldier is attacking waiting blue one. Blue is not responding, also with his HP (he has a hit every time and he doesn't feel dizzy :P)
  2. On that place there are two soldiers at once: one green and second blue. The blue one is invisible because of the same picture of green. Probably they are chatting or playing cards while waiting face-wink.png
  3. Also sometimes (here there is NO such a case, but in earlier fights that exsited). Soldier who were on the queue already (because of lack of HP he wanted to find a medic in the fortress) was attacked by enemy (yellow were defending, red attacking - two cases at once). The attack was responded and got killed. Let say that I am the soldier, then after good defence I want to heal myself (I lost lots of power to kill the enemy). Then there was another part of the attack wave. I was staying in the queue to the fortress already, but somebody hit me from the back. I had to response face-tongue.png Then he killed me on the queue to the fortress.

So my question is: what is the proper behaviour on the queue to the military building?

EDIT:

When the fight ended (from the screenshot), the green soldier magically dissapeared from spot number 1. The blue soldier was going inside the barrier (first soldier going inside from the queue). Then I realized that there is standing a soldier with the same stats as the dissapeared green soldier! So probably there was some kind of teleport.

EDIT 2:

busy queue

All the fights are defensive. Yellow is defending with no attacking now (for sure). On the spot 1 there is yellow soldier waiting in the queue. The blue one came and now hi is attacking the yellow queued one. On the spot 2. there is a fight between blue and yellow. Next second yellow will win and will try to get medic. But the red one (from the left) will attack him with succes. Why? face-sad.png

EDIT 3:

teleport

To show the teleport stuff face-smile.png I even coloured stats of the soldier. Blue is still going (they started from the same place!)

Posted at 2015-15-02 17:48 CET

6) b.

2 going out 2 green vs 2 blue

Two green soldiers were going outside to fight against 2 blues. They had fight on the same spot!

Posted at 2015-15-02 18:04 CET

wl-zocker wrote:

3) I cannot reproduce.

sudden replay death

In the picture you can see the message of replay: "End of replay. The game is paused...". On the right side is what should be the end of replay: I lost one castle, cut all the trees and dismantle everyghing except sawmill.

Also there is another problem: calculating productivity. I have only one production building: sawmil, 100%. And the average productivity is 50% (on the top right: 67% * 3/4 = 50%). Why? I've calculated everyghing few times before: the productivity factor is calculated including military buildings where productivity equals 0%. So I have 2 buildings: sawmill 100%, fortress 0%. Average: 50%. For me this calculation is stupid (in Settlers II military buildings didn't count).

End addnotation:

I want to explain everything and show on screenshots. All of them were taken from 2nd part of Widelands Tournament game (Whynstein vs Tulips). You can watch it if you want face-wink.png

And very sorry for a huge post, but I had to face-tongue.png

Edited: 2015-02-15, 17:14

einstein13

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 18:08

Bur report for 5) https://bugs.launchpad.net/widelands/+bug/1422147

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 18:59

3) Can you provide the replay in question? (Or am I just overlooking it?)

The wrong productivity has been reported in bug 1422149.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote