Latest Posts

Topic: Barbarian Scouts_hut Remodel

wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 09:52

Thanks for the pronunciation help.

What bothers me most when seeing a word in a foreign language is to have no clue how to pronounce it.

Is the "G" always capitalized?

Yes, in German, the first letter of nouns is always capitalized.

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 10:23

I dont use scouts somehow, but I think when they work, they roams in vicinity, so they cannot be at the same time on the tower, or am I wrong?

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 10:41

I also rarely use scouts. But I could imagine two purposes the tower serves:

• The scout is a person who loves being away, who has a certain wanderlust (this is also capitalized in German btw). If he is too tired to walk, I can imagine him sitting in the tower and watching the surroundings.
  • As I have written above, he could also climb up that tower to look around and to see where he could walk before he then starts his tour.

And from a player's point of view, the tower can be used to distiguish the scout's hut from other buildings (although the Barbarian buildings are well to distinguish).

"Only few people know how much one has to know in order to know how little one knows." - Werner Heisenberg

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 10:45

Tibor wrote:

I dont use scouts somehow, but I think when they work, they roams in vicinity, so they cannot be at the same time on the tower, or am I wrong?

No, you are correct. So, if we want him to climb the tower, we need that animation to finish running before the worker takes off.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 13:27

Tibor wrote:

As GunChleoc wrote, you are correct in your understanding. It is almost impossible to be in two places at once. The scout would have to be a quantum particle to achieve that. face-smile.png He could come close to that if he had a twin, a clone or a Doppelgänger. And it wouldn't be the first time such a thing appeared in the game. We had a lot of those running around the Widelands maps in the early days when one animation was used to depict all of the workers. face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 14:00

The scout would have to be a quantum particle to achieve that.

My thoughts exactly. You could still try to localize him by interference.

Doppelgänger

I see, you learn face-smile.png How do you make the ä on an English keyboard?

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 14:20

wl-zocker wrote:

The scout would have to be a quantum particle to achieve that.

My thoughts exactly. You could still try to localize him by interference.

Wait a second, localization is our job here, not his face-tongue.png

Doppelgänger

You can get "international" layouts for the English keyboard. The average English speaker won't notice the difference, but it does allow you to type a lot more stuff. Of course, they won't be installed by default...

On another note, confusing ei and ie happens a lot to English speakers, because they would pronounce both the same. In German "ei" is pronounced "aye" (as in Albert Einstein) and "ie" is pronounced "ee" (as in Spiel).

Edited: 2015-02-15, 14:23

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
wl-zocker

Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 14:40

they would pronounce both the same

How would an English speaker pronounce ei and ie without context and how in Giebel? I ask because in English, the pronounciation in unpredictable (at least to me). Just four words that cam to my mind: ceiling, weird, die, fierce. If you want more, search for the poem "The Chaos" (can you pronounce everything correctly in the first try? face-tongue.png ).

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 18:47

wl-zocker wrote:

they would pronounce both the same

How would an English speaker pronounce ei and ie without context and how in Giebel?

Just intuition, probably because of the consonants surrounding it.

wl-zocker wrote: I ask because in English, the pronounciation in unpredictable (at least to me).

You are not alone.

wl-zocker wrote: Just four words that cam to my mind: ceiling, weird, die, fierce. If you want more, search for the poem "The Chaos" (can you pronounce everything correctly in the first try? face-tongue.png ).

Only if I'm in a bloody good mood face-tongue.png

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-15, 22:45

wl-zocker wrote:

Doppelgänger

I usually copy and paste from another text (like from Google) or extract a special character from LibreOffice Writer to the clipboard and paste it. There are probably cleaner/faster ways and stand-alone utilities that could be used, but this is how I do it. face-smile.png

I see little people.

Top Quote