Latest Posts

Topic: Barbarian charcoal_kiln (charcoal_burners_house) remodel

chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-02, 17:12

Here is my first draft of the charcoal_kiln remodel.

....New @112px .........old .......... new@93px

112 old new

I'm undecided about the overall scale. I think I'll keep the 112px width of the overall graphic and play with scaling down the building to help with its identification. BTW - I modeled the burning mound after a photo of a real one. face-smile.png Aiming for authenticity you know. face-wink.png

Do you think it could use more smoke?

Comments?

I see little people.

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-02, 18:21

Here I've shrunk the building in relation to the other items. It looks better to my eyes.

......old .............. charcoal_kiln4 ..............charcoal_kiln6

old new 6

Number 6 has the largest burning mound and the woodpile is right up front. I'm not happy with the appearance of the building from this angle, but that can be fixed. Don't know about you, but I'm liking the layout in #6.

What do you think?

Edited: 2015-02-02, 18:47

I see little people.

Top Quote
GunChleoc
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-02, 18:44

I like #6 as well if the roof gets fixed. Just be careful that the flag won't get in the way.

Busy indexing nil values

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-02, 18:51

GunChleoc wrote:

I like #6 as well if the roof gets fixed. Just be careful that the flag won't get in the way.

Yes. I don't want to make THAT mistake again. face-grin.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
fuchur

Ranking
Widelands-Forum-Junkie
Posted at: 2015-02-02, 21:52

I'd prefer #6. After all the burning mound and woodpile are clearly visible in this version (woodpile is a little bit hidden in #4). And they are the essential features of that building.

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-02, 22:21

Hi, I for myself have never saw a burning mold and would not guess what is on the picture, but it can stay this way...

poles on woodpile should be more distinctive - now it is not very obvious what is stocked there... perhaps you could take that tool from woodpile away

smoke could be darker and bigger, I think this is dirty work....

also the roof might be darkened by the smoke. Smoke and soot should be characteristic for this building.

Also I think coal burners were poorest people, so the house could be in poorer condition....

So, these are my random ideas, if something looks reasonable and doable for you... face-smile.png

Overall I like your work...

Top Quote
chuckw
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-02, 22:55

Tibor wrote:

Hi, I for myself have never saw a burning mold and would not guess what is on the picture, but it can stay this way...

I'd never seen the process myself. Here are two charcoal burning mounds that I used as references. The split wood is piled into a mound and then covered with turf to smother any open flames. That way the wood is not totally consumed by the fire.

1 2

poles on woodpile should be more distinctive - now it is not very obvious what is stocked there...

I agree. The cordwood is not very recognizable. I'll work on that some more.

...perhaps you could take that tool from woodpile away

It is supposed to be an axe. It is another homage to the original game graphics, an axe model used originally. I figure the burner would need to split the wood he receives from the lumberjack before he could make charcoal from it. I'll try to improve the axe.

smoke could be darker and bigger, I think this is dirty work....

also the roof might be darkened by the smoke. Smoke and soot should be characteristic for this building.

Also I think coal burners were poorest people, so the house could be in poorer condition....

So, these are my random ideas, if something looks reasonable and doable for you... face-smile.png

I'll see about reflecting some poverty in the building.

Overall I like your work...

Thanks! face-smile.png I like your ideas... face-wink.png

I see little people.

Top Quote
Tibor

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-02, 23:04

I allways believed the mold was covered with poles - I saw it in some movie (fairy tale it was in fact)...

But now I understand what that light lines on the mold should be -> poles. On the second image they are T-shaped, BTW.

Also if they were less regular face-smile.png

Edited: 2015-02-02, 23:15

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-02-03, 01:39

chuckw wrote:

Tibor wrote:

I'd never seen the process myself. Here are two charcoal burning mounds that I used as references.

I've never seen the molds myself, but I've seen special furnance.

The people weren't poor and weren't rich face-wink.png But dirty! For sure! face-tongue.png

![alt: furnance1] (http://wegla.pl/wp-content/uploads/retorta.jpg) ![alt: furnance2] (http://www.pod-aniolami.pl/files/Image/gfx/smolarze.jpg)

And I have no idea how it should look like for Barbarians, but for sure it shouldn't be too big building. I'm thinking about big mold and small hut. It can be rather grey, as you want face-smile.png Those people usually don't live next to the mold. It is not good place to live (hot, lots of smoke, pich and all the black stuff there). They stay there only to look after the fire. If the fire is too big- you will loose wood. If too small- there will be no coal.

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-02-03, 02:55

Hmm... It looks as if the roof is slightly off-center in #6. That may just be me, though.

But a bigger problem is that the mound of dirt looks like it doesn't reach the ring of logs that are supposed to be lying on it.

Top Quote