Latest Posts

Topic: how to find online games

king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-26, 22:00

After a few months against ai, 9 days ago I decided to look for human opponents. Problem is, lobby is always deserted. In those 9 days I connected every single evening (20 to 22 GMT), staying in lobby at least an hour or two, and I only managed to find two games. either there is no one, or the only people there are for the tournament. the second game I found only because one of those who had to play the tournament didn't come so the other guys there were available for a free game.

Is it always like that? Is there some trick to find players? specific hours, subforums for times? I'd like to play online some more than that.

Top Quote
einstein13
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-27, 01:21

If you want to meet any player, I can be there for you face-smile.png I practiced playing with AI and some human players for last 2 weeks.

Usually the metaserver is deserted because there is not much players around the world. But if you ask here- you can find another player face-wink.png

einstein13
calculations & maps packages: http://wuatek.no-ip.org/~rak/widelands/
backup website files: http://kartezjusz.ddns.net/upload/widelands/

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-27, 18:09

well, in that case let it be known that I am in lobby looking for games most days between 20-22 GMT and hope more people will show up.

Top Quote
dershrimp

Ranking
Pry about Widelands
Posted at: 2015-01-27, 20:07

You can also look in the chatroom for people. There are usually some guys hanging around. But yes, it isn't that crowded in general. That's also a reason for these tournaments. Bringing some people together to play.

cheers

Edited: 2015-01-27, 20:08

Top Quote
king_of_nowhere
Topic Opener
Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-28, 18:55

by the way, it seems a bit ridiculous to me. I went to the development page, and counted the people there: I stopped at 80 and I was about halfway through the page. So we are looking at some 150 people writing code for widelands. I'd think that would imply at least a few thousands players worldwide, of which at least a few dozen would play on the internet regularly, and if half of them are in europe that would give us an expectation to find some five to ten people in lobby in the evening. instead, nothing. most evenings there isn't even a single player joining.

It's like there are more people programming the game than actively playing it...

Top Quote
DragonAtma
Ranking
Tribe Member
Posted at: 2015-01-29, 00:27

Keep in mind that some people (such as, well, me) are only interested in playing against the CPU, not against other people.

Top Quote
SirVer

Ranking
One Elder of Players
Posted at: 2015-01-29, 06:49

king_of_nowhere wrote:

by the way, it seems a bit ridiculous to me. I went to the development page, and counted the people there: I stopped at 80 and I was about halfway through the page. So we are looking at some 150 people writing code for widelands.

Remember that this is everybody contributing to Widelands - be it only a one line patch - in the last 12 years of development. And Widelands saw a lot of contributors come and go.

It's like there are more people programming the game than actively playing it...

No, but it is likely that most people do not play in the internet - even so, checking the logs I see that right now there is roughly 1 game per day played on the metaserver.

Also, I suggest you use the chat button on this page to hang out in IRC. that is a better place to find people to play than the lobby. I believe the lobby is not used as much since you need to have Widelands open to hang out in there and because the chat interface is not great - IRC is better.

Top Quote